Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Imamothes please identify ur 'sector'..
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Which Jewish sector do you identify urself as being part of?
Litvish  
 13%  [ 40 ]
Yeshivish  
 18%  [ 55 ]
Chassidish  
 35%  [ 109 ]
Modern orthodox  
 18%  [ 55 ]
Orthodoz  
 6%  [ 21 ]
Reform/Conservative  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Neither- Please specify below  
 7%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 303

thunderstorm

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 6:56 pm
amother wrote:
Chassidish is no longer one category so I can't vote.
I'm neutral/lite chassidish, and I don't think you meant me when you gave the option of chassidish. We don't shave our hair, we get college degrees, we drive. But our men wear chassidish levush, we have a rebbe, we send to chassidish oriented schools(as long as they have a good English curriculum). We value learning very much, so maybe we have some yeshivishness too, so confusing. Oh and I don't care till what age anyone wears pants. As long as you're happy I'm happy.

My husband wears a Chasidish levush on Shabbos and my boys wear bent up hats with short suits. I'm more of an eccentric BY girl. we don't have a Chasidish rebbe but rather a litvish Rav. My kids are both in Chasidish and litvish yeshivos. I don't identify with any of the options on the poll. I selected neither. We refer to ourselves as ovdei Hashem.

Cookie Monster

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 6:56 pm
amother wrote:
Why an earth would this thread get locked?

Are you new here?

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 7:05 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I used to think think that chareidi referred to Israeli RW Jews, but on this site I've seen chareidi refer to RW in general. Which is confusing, because you can have American chareidim working and using Internet but that is much rarer in Geulah.

Weird.
As someone living in Israel, people who are RW as in yeshivish, american more, chassidish, can get very offended when referred to as "chareidi".

I'm chareidi.
Would never move back to USA because I disagree with so many of things that go on there at this point. I've been called an extremist here many times.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 7:08 pm
amother wrote:
I voted Yeshivish, but we're also Litvish so I wasn't sure which one to choose.

Yeshivish also means different things depending on where you come from.
In England, I find this term generally only used to describe those in long term learning/klei kodesh rather than the broad way it is used in the US to describe all those from RW society.

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 7:09 pm
Makes me understand why there are so many thunderclashes on imamother when you look at which two categories are the highest percentage!

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:
Makes me understand why there are so many thunderclashes on imamother when you look at which two categories are the highest percentage!

Similar polls have been done many times previously.
There are many flaws with it.
For starters if Chassidish includes Chabad then the poll isn't accurate.

mommy9

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 7:21 pm
What's orthodoz?

crust

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 7:26 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
My husband wears a Chasidish levush on Shabbos and my boys wear bent up hats with short suits. I'm more of an eccentric BY girl. we don't have a Chasidish rebbe but rather a litvish Rav. My kids are both in Chasidish and litvish uselected neither. We refer to ourselves as ovdei Hashem.

Love this. Applause

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 8:31 pm
amother wrote:
Similar polls have been done many times previously.
There are many flaws with it.
For starters if Chassidish includes Chabad then the poll isn't accurate.

The poll would get more accurate votes if Chabad had its own category.

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 8:31 pm
I'm Chabad and checked off Chassidish.

shirachadasha

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 8:35 pm
I think I'd need a poll to identify my sector.

penguin

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 8:39 pm
You can't add to a poll once it's been started. Better start a new one and see how many different categories it allows you.

Jeanette

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 8:45 pm
mommy9 wrote:
What's orthodoz?

Slacking off?

Water Stones

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 9:04 pm
amother wrote:
I'm Chabad and checked off Chassidish.

Me, too. But I also would liked to see Chabad as a choice, agree with amother Brown and Rose.

Fixed my spelling so many times lol

Last edited by Water Stones on Sat, Dec 02 2017, 9:15 pm; edited 5 times in total

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 9:04 pm
I voted Yeshivish, but I've never heard litvish as distinctive of yeshivish.

Unless you mean specifically family background from Lithuania?

Also, I've never heard the term Orthodox used as distinctive of MO, except in the generic sense of saying a person is religious.

Although it says Orthodoz. At first I assumed it was a typo? Or as another poster asked, maybe it's actually something else?

SixOfWands

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 9:10 pm
mommy9 wrote:
What's orthodoz?

ORTHODOZ

Noun.

(1). People who claim to be Orthodox, but nod off during davening.

(2). Orthodox rabbis who give long, extremely dull speeches, during which much of the congregation naps.

out-of-towner

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:12 pm
I grew up Litvish/Zionistic, became more Yeshivish on my own, and then married a Chassidish guy. We don't fit into any box.

crust

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:53 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
ORTHODOZ

Noun.

(1). People who claim to be Orthodox, but nod off during davening.

(2). Orthodox rabbis who give long, extremely dull speeches, during which much of the congregation naps.

Or perhaps they doze off while waiting with thier child in the Orthodontic's office.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 11:34 pm
amother wrote:
I dont think any of us care until what age anyone wears pants..thats not the point.
The point is just getting to know who the majority of users and responders to our posts are.
U also sound confused where u belong..

Nopes. We're very settled with where we belong. We both grew up like this. Mix of Chassidish/Heimishe/Litvish. We personally gravitated a little towards Chassidus. I just thought it might be confusing for others.
Thankfully your nasty little line was wasted here.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 11:52 pm
We are heimeshe and Chabad. Meaning we come from Hungarian background, but over the years became more and more Chabad.
Page 2 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics