Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Imamothes please identify ur 'sector'..
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Which Jewish sector do you identify urself as being part of?
Litvish  
 13%  [ 40 ]
Yeshivish  
 18%  [ 55 ]
Chassidish  
 35%  [ 109 ]
Modern orthodox  
 18%  [ 55 ]
Orthodoz  
 6%  [ 21 ]
Reform/Conservative  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Neither- Please specify below  
 7%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 303

sequoia

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 11:59 pm
LWMO

imasoftov

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:27 am
Industrial strength Judaism

imasoftov

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:32 am
mommy9 wrote:
What's orthodoz?

Answered in the Daffynitions thread http://www.imamother.com/forum.....24584

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 2:47 am
wow, anyone else also surprised with the results??

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 5:44 am
I clicked "Modern Orthodox" but I think it is not quite fitting. I'm DL and live in Israel. DL here is in my opinion quite a bit different from MO in the US. It tends to be more right wing and traditional both in religious and political terms.

Things like "open orthodoxy" are considered as kind of reform in my community, no one would connect to that. Almost all women cover their hair and wear skirts here. Kol isha is a big no-no. People are mostly staunch Zionists.

What is "modern" about me? Maybe the fact that I had a full secular education including a university degree, my dh doesn't go to yeshiva and we don't have a Rebbe. I don't wear socks or stockings (most women in my community don't).
We don't keep most chumrot.
Oh, and edit, dh served in the IDF in a tank unit and I did some volunteer work for the army.

Regarding the "pants" question: I started phasing out pants when dd was 4. Since then she's been wearing skirts only.

etky

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 6:12 am
BadTichelDay wrote:
I clicked "Modern Orthodox" but I think it is not quite fitting. I'm DL and live in Israel. DL here is in my opinion quite a bit different from MO in the US. It tends to be more right wing and traditional both in religious and political terms.

Things like "open orthodoxy" are considered as kind of reform in my community, no one would connect to that. Almost all women cover their hair and wear skirts here. Kol isha is a big no-no. People are mostly staunch Zionists.

What is "modern" about me? Maybe the fact that I had a full secular education including a university degree, my dh doesn't go to yeshiva and we don't have a Rebbe. I don't wear socks or stockings (most women in my community don't).

Regarding the "pants" question: I started phasing out pants when dd was 4. Since then she's been wearing skirts only.

I think that what you are depicting is not all that different from middle of the road MO in the States, no? Maybe RWMO?
I would also say that just as there are gradations among MO, so there are among DL.
I also define myself as DL but my views on religion are closer to LWMO.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 6:24 am
We’re missing quite a few...
- sephardi (traditional)
- sephardi (religious)
- Sephardic yeshivish
- Chabad
- Breslov
- yeshivish lite
- DL
-Chasidic lite

Personally, I checked the Yeshivish option. But I’m so much more then that. I’m not quite yeshivish-yeshivish I’m much more open minded then the average Lakewood person and my DH doesn’t even consider himself yeshivish but at the same time I’m not quite MO.
So.... who am I? Which box do I neatly fit into to?

All and none.

I am yeshivish because I believe in learning Torah , I am a Chasid because I have a deep joy for mitzvos, I am MO because of the respect I have for my friends, I am DL because I love EY, I am Chabad because I accept and teach every Jew, I am Sephardic because I firmly believe in family and tradition, I am a Jew who hasn’t done teahuva yet because I have so much to rectify and so much still to learn...
I have a little bit of every Jew inside of me. I don’t claim to be better or worse then anyone. I don’t claim to know that one derech is better then the other. If I can learn something from Everyone I shall.

But really, I should’ve clicked the Just Plain Frum option.

happyone

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 7:20 am
If this thread was started to understand the majority of posters and their background , Keep in mind that we have done this vote before and a large majority of chassidim were Lubavich. While Lubavich is it's own chassidus, the customs and minhagim and tzniis guidelines greatly differ from the other chassidim on this board.

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 7:22 am
I'm chabad and I clicked on other.

I do think this board has a pretty large number of chassidim on it. Maybe because they don't use facebook as much.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 7:54 am
BadTichelDay wrote:

This whole entire paragraph describes me as well and I am neither MO or Dati leumi.

Which proves one thing. There are no boxes. Everyone is unique. Everyone should do their best to serve Hashem and continue growing, and forget about the rest. Inside, we are so much more alike then different. I wish people would remember that instead of fighting all day.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 10:34 am
amother wrote:
Chassidish is no longer one category so I can't vote.
I'm neutral/lite chassidish, and I don't think you meant me when you gave the option of chassidish. We don't shave our hair, we get college degrees, we drive. But our men wear chassidish levush, we have a rebbe, we send to chassidish oriented schools(as long as they have a good English curriculum). We value learning very much, so maybe we have some yeshivishness too, so confusing. Oh and I don't care till what age anyone wears pants. As long as you're happy I'm happy.

I don't either shave.... It's called quasi chasidish. And neutral in my dictionary meant you are satmar but you don't want to admit it.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 10:39 am
amother wrote:
And neutral in my dictionary meant you are satmar but you don't want to admit it.

That's a very narrow minded statement. I'm not chassidish though I know many chassidim who would call themselves neutral because they don't follow a specific chassidus, and they (and their families) have no connection whatsoever to satmar.

watergirl

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 10:47 pm
SuperWify wrote:
We’re missing quite a few...
- sephardi (traditional)
- sephardi (religious)
- Sephardic yeshivish
- Chabad
- Breslov
- yeshivish lite
- DL
-Chasidic lite

Personally, I checked the Yeshivish option. But I’m so much more then that. I’m not quite yeshivish-yeshivish I’m much more open minded then the average Lakewood person and my DH doesn’t even consider himself yeshivish but at the same time I’m not quite MO.
So.... who am I? Which box do I neatly fit into to?

All and none.

I am yeshivish because I believe in learning Torah , I am a Chasid because I have a deep joy for mitzvos, I am MO because of the respect I have for my friends, I am DL because I love EY, I am Chabad because I accept and teach every Jew, I am Sephardic because I firmly believe in family and tradition, I am a Jew who hasn’t done teahuva yet because I have so much to rectify and so much still to learn...
I have a little bit of every Jew inside of me. I don’t claim to be better or worse then anyone. I don’t claim to know that one derech is better then the other. If I can learn something from Everyone I shall.

But really, I should’ve clicked the Just Plain Frum option.

Breslov IS chassidish. No reason to split hairs.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:25 am
amother wrote:
wow, anyone else also surprised with the results??

The results are not accurate.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:26 am
amother wrote:
The results are not accurate.

What should they be?

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:30 am
Op if your dividing yishvish and litvish then you gota divide chasdish to.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 3:30 am
Oh, let's face it. Aren't we all, deep down, one big, unhappy family? Rolling Eyes

imasoftov

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 3:53 am
amother wrote:
Oh, let's face it. Aren't we all, deep down, one big, unhappy family? Rolling Eyes

From last week's parasha:
כִּ֣י בְמַקְלִ֗י עָבַ֨רְתִּי֙ אֶת־הַיַּרְדֵּ֣ן הַזֶּ֔ה וְעַתָּ֥ה הָיִ֖יתִי לִשְׁנֵ֥י מַֽחֲנֽוֹת

edited just for formatting

Last edited by imasoftov on Mon, Dec 04 2017, 10:17 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 5:26 am
No longer frum and don't believe in anything after careful and long time of thinking and studying. I was when I joined this forum btw.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 6:00 am
amother wrote:
No longer frum and don't believe in anything after careful and long time of thinking and studying. I was when I joined this forum btw.

Just curious, what group did you belong to while you were frum? Did you go through a phase of changing groups?
Page 3 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics