Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Imamothes please identify ur 'sector'..
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Which Jewish sector do you identify urself as being part of?
Litvish  
 13%  [ 40 ]
Yeshivish  
 18%  [ 55 ]
Chassidish  
 35%  [ 109 ]
Modern orthodox  
 18%  [ 55 ]
Orthodoz  
 6%  [ 21 ]
Reform/Conservative  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Neither- Please specify below  
 7%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 303

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 6:04 am
amother wrote:
The results are not accurate.

Correct, I and I'm sure many others, didn't vote. Either none describe me or more than one do.

watergirl

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 6:54 am
amother wrote:
Chassidish is no longer one category so I can't vote.
I'm neutral/lite chassidish, and I don't think you meant me when you gave the option of chassidish. We don't shave our hair, we get college degrees, we drive. But our men wear chassidish levush, we have a rebbe, we send to chassidish oriented schools(as long as they have a good English curriculum). We value learning very much, so maybe we have some yeshivishness too, so confusing. Oh and I don't care till what age anyone wears pants. As long as you're happy I'm happy.

This seems to be my soapbox lately. It seems to me that you ARE chassidish in all the ways that it matters. You have a rebbe. You teach and believe in the derech of chassidus. The avodah is what makes one a chassid/a. Not the outer cultural things. Those make someone culturally chassidish; is that a whole kther category? Only 1 category needs to be listed. If one has chassidus in her heart, she is chassidish.

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 7:28 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Just curious, what group did you belong to while you were frum? Did you go through a phase of changing groups?

I was lubavitch, tried modern orthodoxy, realised it had nothing to do with what I did physically but that I simply don't believe in God or Torah in any way.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 10:41 am
amother wrote:
I don't either shave.... It's called quasi chasidish. And neutral in my dictionary meant you are satmar but you don't want to admit it.

Your dictionary is flawed.

-neutral chassidish, doesnt shave, no connection to satmar at all. my family has had no rebbe since after world war two

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 10:46 am
SuperWify wrote:
SNIP
I am MO because of the respect I have for my friends, SNIP

WADR, I don't think that respect for friends is a MO trait. Its a good person trait. And plenty of Yeshivish and Litvish and Chasidic -- and MO, of course -- and every other flavor or Jew are good people.

crust

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 10:51 am
SixOfWands wrote:
WADR, I don't think that respect for friends is a MO trait. Its a good person trait. And plenty of Yeshivish and Litvish and Chasidic -- and MO, of course -- and every other flavor or Jew are good people.

Thanks for saying this. It tastes better to hear it from someone else than myself. Smile

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 10:57 am
amother wrote:
I was lubavitch, tried modern orthodoxy, realised it had nothing to do with what I did physically but that I simply don't believe in God or Torah in any way.

I’m sorry to hear that. And G-d believes in you and loves you anyway.

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 11:00 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I’m sorry to hear that. And G-d believes in you and loves you anyway.

No offence but hearing that makes me simultaneously giggle as it's funny/ ridiculous and want to vomit! But thanks for the sentiment. I'm not upset. I feel like me and I'm happy and my family's happy.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 11:01 am
amother wrote:
No offence but hearing that makes me simultaneously giggle as it's funny/ ridiculous and want to vomit! But thanks for the sentiment. I'm not upset. I feel like me and I'm happy and my family's happy.

Ima White - perhaps its time to give up your membership to this forum.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 11:07 am
amother wrote:

No offense taken. Your response made me feel like giggling and wanting to vomit simultaneously too!😀 We have so much in common!!! And I’m happy that you’re happy!! I’m happy too! May G-d bless you that you should always be happy!

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 11:20 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
No offense taken. Your response made me feel like giggling and wanting to vomit simultaneously too!😀 We have so much in common!!! And I’m happy that you’re happy!! I’m happy too! May G-d bless you that you should always be happy!

I'm sure we've got lots in common. I'm currently juggling cooking, dealing with toddlers, on imamother, have a cold, thinking of going for a run, waiting for after bed time to chill. I'm sure there's something in there we've got in common too. Happy that we've got tge giggling and vomiting in common too (as long as I don't actually vomit I'm good-I don't much care for vomit!)

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 11:21 am
amother wrote:
Ima Wine - perhaps its time to give up your membership to this forum.

I love that you didn't have the guts to write that under your sn but do you know what. If yael sees this and asks for me to leave I will.

going-up

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 11:27 am
I choose neither because I too do not fit into any one box. If there was an option a few of the above I would have checked it.

Metukah

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:10 pm
amother wrote:
Chassidish is no longer one category so I can't vote.
I'm neutral/lite chassidish, and I don't think you meant me when you gave the option of chassidish. We don't shave our hair, we get college degrees, we drive. But our men wear chassidish levush, we have a rebbe, we send to chassidish oriented schools(as long as they have a good English curriculum). We value learning very much, so maybe we have some yeshivishness too, so confusing. Oh and I don't care till what age anyone wears pants. As long as you're happy I'm happy.

I voted chassidish, I definitely consider myself chassidish and nothing else. We don't shave our hair, we get college degrees, we drive. But our men wear chassidish levush, we have a rebbe (copied from your post, cbb retyping). We don't even send our kids to chassidish schools. Just regular neutral schools.
Why would you think op didn't mean you when she said chassidish. She didn't specify what chassidus and just because some of the big chassidus have minhagim like those you mentioned above that does not mean that is makes one chassidish. Not at all.

Op I think you should add lubavitch (although it is a chassidus, it is not part of people usually consider chassidish) and maybe something like 'heimish' for those that are neither chassidish nor litvish and are not yeshivish either.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:16 pm
Metukah wrote:
I voted chassidish, I definitely consider myself chassidish and nothing else. We don't shave our hair, we get college degrees, we drive. But our men wear chassidish levush, we have a rebbe (copied from your post, cbb retyping). We don't even send our kids to chassidish schools. Just regular neutral schools.
Why would you think op didn't mean you when she said chassidish. She didn't specify what chassidus and just because some of the big chassidus have minhagim like those you mentioned above that does not mean that is makes one chassidish. Not at all.

Op I think you should add lubavitch (although it is a chassidus, it is not part of people usually consider chassidish) and maybe something like 'heimish' for those that are neither chassidish nor litvish and are not yeshivish either.

I voted other, but if she added heimish I would choose that.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:
I love that you didn't have the guts to write that under your sn but do you know what. If yael sees this and asks for me to leave I will.

Says the pot to the kettle.

Metukah

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 1:04 pm
Metukah wrote:

Oh and I forgot to add, my father does not wear the chassidish levush, does not have any specific chassidus or rebbe, but he is definitely chassidish, that is what he calls himself and wouldn't have it any other way.

A chossid is someone who follows the ways and teachings of the baal shem Tov. That is it. Shaving/driving/double head covering, all not from the besht, but directions of leaders who followed the besht. So me driving and not shaving does not make me any less chassidish than someone who does.

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 1:07 pm
amother wrote:
Says the pot to the kettle.

There's a bit of a difference writing something under my sn that could give away my full identity and writing something under your sn that doesn't.

SpottedBanana

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:

Under my screenname -- I wish you much clarity in your life, but this forum is meant for frum women and I, for one, am still operating on Imamother as if all the amothers giving me advice are frum women. Maybe I am naive to believe that, but I would like to make it as true as possible.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:
I don't either shave.... It's called quasi chasidish. And neutral in my dictionary meant you are satmar but you don't want to admit it.

Huh Scratching Head
How can someone be Satmar and neutral. Isn't that like an oxymoron.

Although we did gravitate towards Chassidus more than towards Yeshivish, we certainly have no interest in Satmar, as much as we respect them and are in awe of their Chesed.
Page 4 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics