Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Weird question are people in warm climates happier
Previous  1  2

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 2:29 am
Seattle, WA has very moderate temperatures. Most of the time it's between 40-60. Though it may break 90 a couple times in the summer and might snow in the winter, it is grey and overcast most days. That to me is more depressing than the temperature.
Rain is life, sun is life. Grey with no depth or texture to the sky feels oppressive.

I think happiness in relation to location depends more on beauty than temperature.
an expansive view, or feeling of expansiveness, adds to my happiness.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 3:04 am
amother wrote:
In general that's probably true, but it wouldn't be true for me. I hate warm weather. I hate sunlight. I love the winter when it's cold and gets dark early. I have seasonal affective disorder in the summer (yup, that is a thing. It's rare, almost all people with SAD have it in the winter, but summer SAD exists).

My daughter has this. When we moved to Israel she was completely miserable, and kept saying how much she missed the constant rain of Seattle. She moved back to the Pacific Northwest to live with her dad, and she is SO happy about all the dark and dreary days, the fog and the rain, etc.

I'm just the opposite. Since I made Aliyah, I've been able to taper off of two of my antidepressants. My fibromyalgia pain is so much better, that I've switched from codeine to naproxyn, and even then, only occasionally. The pain only gets really bad when the storm fronts blow in, and that is rare enough.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 7:15 am
Depends how cold, depends how warm.

Are most people happy never seeing the sun? No.

Are most people happy alternating monsoon and extreme heat? I would say no, at least not unless really used to it in a way that they don't question it.

Then come personal preferences. My 10 year old daughter LOVES cold. She is the only one in her school not wearing her coat/closed like ever lol. I'm like that less extreme and not "like" cold, simply handle it well outside (unwell inside). But if it's above 25 it's getting hard on me, especially sunny. Migraines can be bed riding. My son gets nose bleed from sun/heat... etc.

I would never miss rain, cold or snow. But the climate in Israel, cold cold inside in winter and unbearably hot and sunny from May to October, is just horrible for my family. I remember the last time we were there in heat (spring) all together.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 7:27 am
Ruchel wrote:
But the climate in Israel, cold cold inside in winter and unbearably hot and sunny from May to October, is just horrible for my family. I remember the last time we were there in heat (spring) all together.

The weather is simply glorious today. I had lunch at an outdoor cafe near the beach, and all I needed was a light jacket. The sky is flawlessly blue, and the sea is calm. Pure bliss!

Of course, I will be kvetching like crazy in August, when it's hot and humid. Wink

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 7:45 am
Yes there is a time when it's all perfect. When it's neither hot outside nor cold inside. But I'd rather be annoyed about rain, and about heat 2 months-ish a year, than 4+ months.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 7:48 am
Coffee Addict wrote:
Your last sentence cracked me up!!!

I’m also happier in warm weather.

It was supposed to be funny😀
At least somebody get my humor!

InnerMe

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 2:27 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I would definitely be. You literally can not get me down during summer time. Sun and warmth make me so happy.
Ironically, my husband loves the cold, dark, winter. But that’s because he enjoys being in a bad mood, lol.

You seriously had me laughing here!!!

Re warm weather and happiness. Count me out.
There is nothing that I HATE more than sticky, humid, hot weather. But in a place, that it's spring all year, with a gentle cool breeze, and loads of greenery, no honking cars, and city pollution, vintage cottage houses, a calm sea and brilliant views, oh and inhabited only by friendly, genuine, and accepting people. Add some rainbows, for a bit of whimsy. Take me there, and I promise I'll be happy. LOL

happyone

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 2:29 pm
I am way happier in warm weather. I'm still not sure why our grandparents chose to settle in NY.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 3:40 pm
happyone wrote:
I am way happier in warm weather. I'm still not sure why our grandparents chose to settle in NY.

That’s where they got off the boat.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 3:48 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
That’s where they got off the boat.

While most people I know have grandparents who got off the the boat in NY, my grandma got off the boat in San Francisco (she was coming from Shanghai). And she then got right on a train to NY, where still lives 70 years later.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 08 2018, 9:31 pm
Yes! I live in Brazil,the coldest it gets is 8 celsius,the first time I saw snow I was 18/years old .and I do think brazilians are happier in general....I lived one year in Montreal Canadá its was depresssiiiingg !!! Also people there seem to be "colder"
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics