Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Help me decide right now!

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 7:41 am
We have a kiddish for our baby girl scheduled this shabbos in shul. The forecast is 2-4 inches Friday night. The shul said its ok to postpone if we tell them this morning. I don't want the ladies side to be too small. Should I postpone? Its a bummer... So torn.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 7:51 am
I would do it this week. You never know what can come up other weeks. Good friends will come. Maybe some aquintentces won’t. You can never plan with the weather.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 8:02 am
Just checked again total bw Friday day and night is 3-6 inches. Most people won't come in that...?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 8:33 am
You have to do what’s good for you. people will come or they wont. People will come if they want to come. If not they won’t. Snow isn’t so bad I think rain is worse. Would you go to your friends simcha with the weather like that?

lfab

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 8:40 am
Personally, if I could postpone I would. Unless I had made arrangements for people to come sleep over for shabbos (such as grandparents etc. and was putting them up by other people). Then I wouldn't feel that it's nice to ask others to rearrange their schedules to come a different week. But if not I would postpone as I think it will be difficult for many women to get out to shul in the snow. I usually take my kids to shul every week. But when it's snowing it's too hard to bundle them all up and to push the stroller through all that snow (especially since many people won't have shoveled since it's shabbos). Unless it was for a super close friend I know that I wouldn't be able to make it to a kiddush in the snow. And even for a very close friend I would wait until DH came home from shul then run over myself. Which would mean I'd only be able to stay for a few minutes.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 9:10 am
amother wrote:
You have to do what’s good for you. people will come or they wont. People will come if they want to come. If not they won’t. Snow isn’t so bad I think rain is worse. Would you go to your friends simcha with the weather like that?

With a baby of my own, probably not. With bigger kids, a better chance.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 9:12 am
Doesn’t mean next week will be any better. It’s winter now. Unless you plan on pushing it off to spring or summer.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 9:33 am
Whatever you decide. Mazel tov. Will Be a beautiful simcha. Whenever it is with whoever is there and people who can’t make it but will be there in spirit.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 10:01 am
Mazel tov!

One of the nice things about having a girl is that you don't have to follow a strict timetable of when to hold events like a shalom zachor and bris. You can make a kiddush at your own convenience, although it's best to do so within the first year of the baby's life. If making the kiddush this week will stress you out then postpone it until a better week. Do you really want to schlep out in the snow with a baby let alone wait anxiously for your friends to show up or not?

We're expecting our first boy after a bunch of girls. While it is exciting, I am totally freaked out about having to make a shalom zachor right after coming home from the hospital and then making a bris while still recovering from a c-section. I'm also worried about blizzards or snowstorms making life difficult. I wish I had the latitude to postpone the festivities until May or whenever the weather calms down and I'm back to myself enough to handle the planning and being social.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 1:04 pm
We postponed til mid Feb. It can still be bad weather then... We will daven! The date was open and it seemed a reasonable choice. Beezras Hashem!

Oh my, blue, please don't stress!! No mother should be involved I arranging a shalom zachor! Politely let him know that it will be his job. Pretty much ditto with the bris. He should arrange everything... If you have family to help, that's great. You just have to get you and the baby there. See if a family member or local hs girl can come that morning and help get the other kids ready and out the door for you.
I know c sections are hard.... Btdt.

Bsha tova!! Wishing you a smooth and healthy pregnancy, delivery, simcha and beyond!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics