Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
When are you having vacation

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jan 26 2018, 10:35 am
Just wondering what the dates are that most schools are off.

I'll start. My girls are off Feb 4, 5 and 6.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Jan 26 2018, 10:39 am
Feb 3&4 is shabbos & Sunday, there's no school anyways. So it's just feb. 5 for you amother cornflower.
My girls are off feb. 5-6.

lfab

Post Fri, Jan 26 2018, 10:40 am
When do I have vacation, or when do my children? My kids ate just finishing up vacation. They had off starting from Friday January 19th. They go back to school on Monday, January 29th.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 26 2018, 10:42 am
My kids had two different breaks. My pre schooler was off 1/12 and went back on 1/22 and my 1st grader was off 1/17 and went back on 1/24.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jan 26 2018, 11:00 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Feb 3&4 is shabbos & Sunday, there's no school anyways. So it's just feb. 5 for you amother cornflower.
My girls are off feb. 5-6.

Thanks. My bad, just fixed it. They're off on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

Chloe

Post Fri, Jan 26 2018, 11:03 am
Ifab and mh3484, wow that's a long break. I guess people somehow manage with work and all. My kids have a few days off.

lfab

Post Fri, Jan 26 2018, 11:37 am
Chloe wrote:
Ifab and mh3484, wow that's a long break. I guess people somehow manage with work and all. My kids have a few days off.

Yes, it is a very long break. B"H this year my husband was able to cover a lot of the days, or at least parts of days. Most yeasts we are scrambling to find babysitters for each of the days and it coats a small fortune. But I can't just take off a week plus from work. It's s huge hassle. I have no problem with them having off for a few days but this long is simply ridiculous. This morning 3 of my kids were asking to go back to school! They are so bored being stuck at home all day while I'm at work.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 26 2018, 11:42 am
Its long but my older sons yeshiva is pretty decent about not giving a lot of extras days in general. They have school on all legal holidays except for presidents day which is professional development. School goes until mid june and camp starts the monday after so there is half a week in between. I grumbled about a few days in the fall around the yom tovim but its not as crazy as some other schools.

Personally I think vacay should be Wed-Monday instead of Wed-Wed but thats just me.

I just looked at the calendar and they have one week of winter break (public schools have 2), 10 days for pesach (public schools have 1 week spring break) In the fall, sukkos was two weeks which worked out for me because I needed to do an evaluation for my child so he did not miss any school but its a big pain for a lot of other families. So really my complaint should be about sukkos not winter break.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jan 26 2018, 12:42 pm
Only have boys. None of them have off. Yippee!!!

lfab

Post Fri, Jan 26 2018, 12:56 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Its long but my older sons yeshiva is pretty decent about not giving a lot of extras days in general. They have school on all legal holidays except for presidents day which is professional development. School goes until mid june and camp starts the monday after so there is half a week in between. I grumbled about a few days in the fall around the yom tovim but its not as crazy as some other schools.

Personally I think vacay should be Wed-Monday instead of Wed-Wed but thats just me.

I just looked at the calendar and they have one week of winter break (public schools have 2), 10 days for pesach (public schools have 1 week spring break) In the fall, sukkos was two weeks which worked out for me because I needed to do an evaluation for my child so he did not miss any school but its a big pain for a lot of other families. So really my complaint should be about sukkos not winter break.

If my children's school didn't also give off for almost all legal holidays then I might not grumble as much about the long winter break. My kids typically have off as follows:

They don't start school until the Wednesday or Thursday after Labor Day
Rosh Hashana they are off erev y"t plus 2 days for y"t
1/2 day on tzom gedaliah
Erev yom kippur plus yom kippure they are off
Erev succos, plus whole succos, plus isru chag
Veteran's day they are off
2 days off for Thanks givins
2 days off channukah
6 school days (a week plus the preceding Friday) for winter break
A random Friday off for teacher in service
President's day they are off
1/2 day on taanis esther then off 2 days for purim and shushan purim
3-4 days before pesach, plus all of yom tov, plus isru chag
Erev shavuos plus 2 days shavuos (can't remember right now if they are off isru chag for this but don't think so).
Memorial day they are off
Finish school mid June

So yup, that's a lot of days off. Plus this year we've had 2 snow days so far. I know they are not meeting the 180 days of school that public schools need to have. Last year I had a daughter in upk with them and they needed to have makeup Sundays in order to meet the minimum required days.
I feel like you can't have it both ways. Either you're a Frum school and you give off for the yomim tovim but have school on legal holidays. Or you need to have school on more days leading up to and after yom tov. You can't give off for both Jewish and non-jewish holidays. But it's a losing battle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics