Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Coral springs Florida shooting
1  2  3  Next

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 5:42 pm
I'm horrified about this school shooting. Anyone in Coral Springs Florida with info?

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 5:53 pm
Why are you horrified?

Feb. 1: Salvador B. Castro Middle School in Los Angeles, California

A female student opened fire striking a 15-year-old boy in the head and a 15-year-old girl in the wrist. Three others, ranging in age from 11 to 30, suffered minor cuts and scrapes.

Jan. 23: Marshall County High School in Benton, Kentucky

A 16-year-old boy opened fired on campus, killing two and injuring 18 others.

Jan. 22: Italy High School in Italy, Texas

A 16-year-old boy shot and injured a 15-year-old girl with a semi-automatic handgun in the school cafeteria. He was taken into custody after the incident.

Jan. 22: NET Charter High School in New Orleans, Louisiana

An unidentified person pulled up in a truck and shot into a group of students standing outside the school during lunch time. One teenager was sent to the hospital with a superficial injury.

Jan. 20: Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina

A North Carolina football player from Winston-Salem State University was shot to death while at an event at Wake Forest University.

Jan. 15: Wiley College in Marshall, Texas

Police believe two suspects in a car exchanged gunfire with a person in a dormitory parking lot. No injuries were reported, but a bullet entered a dorm room during the incident.

Jan. 10: Grayson College in Denison, Texas

A criminal justice student fired a bullet through a wall after mistaking the firearm for training gun. No one was injured.

Jan. 10: California State University, San Bernardino in San Bernardino

A gun was fired on campus, however, no injuries reported.

Jan. 9: Coronado Elementary School in Sierra Vista, Arizona

A 14-year-old boy was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in the school bathroom.

Jan. 6: School bus in Forest City, Iowa

A 32-year-old man was arrested after firing a pellet gun into a school bus. No children were injured, but a window on the bus was shattered.

Jan. 4: New Start High School in Burien, Washington

Shots were fired from outside the school into the school's administration office, but no one was injured.

Jan. 3: East Olive Elementary School in St. John's Michigan

A 31-year-old man shot and killed himself in the school parking lot after hours of negotiation with police. The man called authorities, said he was suicidal and had a handgun.

Did I miss anything?

No one cares. If people cared, we would be discussing meaningful gun control legislation, not sending out yet more thoughts and prayers. Heck, its so common, most people just move on to the next news story.

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 5:56 pm
I'm horrified. These are children!

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 6:22 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Why are you horrified?

A female student opened fire striking a 15-year-old boy in the head and a 15-year-old girl in the wrist. Three others, ranging in age from 11 to 30, suffered minor cuts and scrapes.

A 16-year-old boy shot and injured a 15-year-old girl with a semi-automatic handgun in the school cafeteria. He was taken into custody after the incident.

An unidentified person pulled up in a truck and shot into a group of students standing outside the school during lunch time. One teenager was sent to the hospital with a superficial injury.

A North Carolina football player from Winston-Salem State University was shot to death while at an event at Wake Forest University.

Police believe two suspects in a car exchanged gunfire with a person in a dormitory parking lot. No injuries were reported, but a bullet entered a dorm room during the incident.

A criminal justice student fired a bullet through a wall after mistaking the firearm for training gun. No one was injured.

A 14-year-old boy was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in the school bathroom.

A 32-year-old man was arrested after firing a pellet gun into a school bus. No children were injured, but a window on the bus was shattered.

Shots were fired from outside the school into the school's administration office, but no one was injured.

A 31-year-old man shot and killed himself in the school parking lot after hours of negotiation with police. The man called authorities, said he was suicidal and had a handgun.

Did I miss anything?

No one cares. If people cared, we would be discussing meaningful gun control legislation, not sending out yet more thoughts and prayers. Heck, its so common, most people just move on to the next news story.

Sad

Yup. Thoughts and prayers aren’t going to bring back those children from the dead.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 6:27 pm
Something needs to be done. This is horrific and we are becoming immune and desensitized by the chronic violence that we don't even react anymore. Though I just shed a few tears just reading this awful story, it will be forgotten and we will move on.
I would love to know if this boy was carrying a licensed gun or not. Otherwise gun control wouldn't help if it were illegal.
I wonder if this boy suffered from mental illness and was not treated properly.
A bunch of questions without answers.
These stories remind us to keep hugging our children every day and to appreciate them.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:18 pm
There have been 30 mass shootings in the US since January 1, 2018. Meaning in the last month and a half. I keep seeing this mass shooting tracker posted, and it's sadly updated almost daily. You can scroll to the right for details on each one. (Mass shooting is defined here as a shooting event in which at least 4 ppl were shot, not including the shooter.)

http://www.gunviolencearchive......oting

To those who don't care until it's one of our own, Jewish children were also shot in this latest one. But as has already been said, if Congress did nothing after dozens of preschoolers were shot down in Sandy Hook, or when hundreds were gunned down in Las Vegas, I don't think there's any amount of shootings that can make them act.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:22 pm
What the **** is wrong with congress?
Why on earth can't background checks and bans on silencers, among other things, be a universally agreed upon measure to take?
What are republicans promoting- the right to die by gunshots???

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:24 pm
It’s not about gun control.
It’s about our youth, and adults watching violent movies in the comfort of their home.
Violent movies are venom.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:
It’s not about gun control.
It’s about our youth, and adults watching violent movies in the comfort of their home.
Violent movies are venom.

Children all over the world watch the same movies US children do. No other country has this issue. Try again.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:26 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
What the **** is wrong with congress?
Why on earth can't background checks and bans on silencers, among other things, be a universally agreed upon measure to take?
What are republicans promoting- the right to die by gunshots???

Because the NRA pays them millions upon millions of dollars. Next election, take a look at how much money your candidates are taking from the NRA before voting for them.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:31 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Why are you horrified?

Did I miss anything?

Do you at all know if all these guns were obtained legally or illegally ?

Because if you don’t then it is very wrong to post this

WhatFor

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:32 pm
There's this lie being perpetuated that people pro gun control want to take everyone's weapons. This isn't true at all. Most people just want background checks. If you are mentally unstable, no, you should not be allowed to go buy a gun.

I don't ever hear this mentioned, but I personally think that gun ownership should come with a mandatory insurance requirement for every weapon owned, and strict liability for the gun owner (meaning, if someone accesses your gun and shoots someone, you maintain some level of liability, perhaps with some exceptions, such as if an attacker wrestled it away from you while you were using it to defend yourself).

WhatFor

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:35 pm
amother wrote:
Do you at all know if all these guns were obtained legally or illegally ?

Because if you don’t then it is very wrong to post this

No it's not wrong. There's a direct correlation between the legal proliferation of guns and violent shootings. The Sandy Hook massacre happened because someone legally brought guns into a household that had a mentally unstable person. Background checks could have prevented that.

amother
Natural

Killers were always find a gun.
Or a car.
Or a knife.
What we need, is more adults carrying a LEGAL weapon so they can stop the killer before he kills 17 innocent people.

Jewishfoodie

It's horrific. All these mothers sent their kids to school and never saw them again. So so many people carry weapons in Eretz Yisrael and you don't hear such craziness.

It's not necessarily taking guns away across the board. It has to be keeping guns out of the hands of children and/or mentally ill individuals, and having responsibility if you're a weapon owner.

If they threw the parents of these children in jail every single time a child was found with a weapon of ANY kind, on them, you can be sure gun violence would go down.

You can't buy a diamond that doesn't have a laser cut certification. Why should people be allowed to keep illegal weapons? Weapons there's no way to track, weapons from other countries..

How many people have to die before someone in Congress wakes up?

I do believe that people should have permission to bear arms, for our own protection. But that must be heavily monitored.

Also, tangent, but I always wondered why, in 2018, we can't invent a weapon that stops a person rather than kills a person. Tranquilizer guns, stun guns.. But murder is murder.

Last edited by Jewishfoodie on Thu, Feb 15 2018, 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:37 pm
WhatFor wrote:
No it's not wrong. There's a direct correlation between the legal proliferation of guns and violent shootings. The Sandy Hook massacre happened because someone legally brought guns into a household that had a mentally unstable person. Background checks could have prevented that.

Of course they need background checks.
That should be part of the legal process.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:38 pm
This is so so so scary! Hashem should watch over all our schools & our children, Jewish & secular alike! Every day when I put my kids on the bus I daven that they should return home safely.
How do these shooters get in schools with weapons? Arent there security guards??

WhatFor

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:39 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
It's horrific. All these mothers sent their kids to Scholls and never saw them again. So so many people carry weapons in Eretz Yisrael and you don't hear such craziness.

It's not necessarily taking guns away across the board. It has to be keeping guns out of the hands of children and/or mentally ill individuals, and having responsibility if you're a weapon owner.

If they threw the parents of these children in jail every single time a child was found with a weapon of ANY kind, on them, you can be sure gun violence would go down.

You can't buy a diamond that doesn't have a laser cut certification. Why should people be allowed to keep illegal weapons? Weapons there's no way to track, weapons from other countries..

How many people have to die before someone in Congress wakes up?

I do believe that people should have permission to bear arms, for our own protection. But that must be heavily monitored.

Also, tangent, but I always wondered why, in 2018, we can't invent a weapon that stops a person rather than kills a person. Tranquilizer guns, stun guns.. But murder is murder.

I agree with you. Just to your point about what happens in Israel- people there have to undergo training to use weapons. They are in the armed forces. If someone is mentally unstable, they are not allowed to hold a weapon. Most private citizens living in regular cities are not granted the "right" to bear arms. (No 2nd amendment in Israel.) If you want to own a gun, and you're not part of the military or granting one to protect a yishuv, etc, you have to apply and undergo heavy screening.

Israel doesn't have gun fairs where any Tom, d!ck, and Harry can walk in, freely buy 5 assault rifles and go home.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:41 pm
amother wrote:
Of course they need background checks.
That should be part of the legal process.

Well it currently isn't. That's what the debate is about. People who make money off of guns want you to believe that the solution to protecting children is less background checks and more people owning guns.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Feb 14 2018, 9:43 pm
amother wrote:
Killers were always find a gun.
Or a car.
Or a knife.
What we need, is more adults carrying a LEGAL weapon so they can stop the killer before he kills 17 innocent people.

There were at least two police already on campus with weapons. 17 kids still died and many more were injured. Somehow, the idea of my children being surrounded by even more guns does not make me feel safer. Call me crazy, but I prefer they can go to school where they don't have to worry about being murdered by fellow students. You know, like the kids in most first world countries who don't have this crazy proliferation of guns with no background checks.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics