Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Shigella
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Aug 06 2005, 11:47 pm
Has anyone here had any experience with Shigella?

My son was feverish after camp, and complained of a tummy ache. He fell asleep very early and woke up in the middle of the night burning up and had a lot of diarhrea. He had a lot of cramping and was hunched over. His diaper was kind of greenish and very mucousy. I brought him to the doctor and the doctor thought maybe it's shigella. He gave me a sterile bottle, some gloves and a tongue depressor and a requisition form for a culture.

He said not to treat it. Meds to make the diarhrea stop can often make it worse and antibiotics often don't work and only make the bacteria more resistant to treatment. The child will recover on his own. Just disinfect everything and wash with a lot of soap and water.

My husband brought the stool sample downtown to the lab at sick kids. About 3 days later my doctor called with the results my son was positive with shigella.

So far, no one else has gotten sick. It is supposed to be very contagious. But, I am the one changing my son and I spray lysol on the change bag, wear gloves and put the diaper in a plastic bag and then the diaper pail. I even put disinfectant on my kids hands when I change him!

I just wanted to know if other people have had this and what have you done to prevent the spread of this?

amother

Post Sat, Aug 06 2005, 11:49 pm
I case you are wondering why I used amother, it's because people seem to freak out when your kid is sick. I don't want people, if they know who I am to worry about their kid. My child is home and until he gets tested again that he is shigella free he is not returning to camp.

chavamom

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 12:30 am
I survived a shigella outbreak, though I did get it myself. It was aweful. The best preventative is good handwashing and proper, contained disposal of diapers.

proudmom

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 8:02 am
My kids had it. It was a horrible cycle in my house. In my community it is going around right now. I had sleepless nights for weeks. The doctor told me that they should stay off milk products, fruits, raw veggies and fried foods. The only juice they can have is white grape juice but you have to do 1:2. Every time your child goes to the bathroom you have to take the diaper outside. Because it is very contagious and someone else in the household could get it. Make sure to wash your hands constantly with soap and water. If you want spray lysol around your house. I gave my kids something for the diareah and the cramping and it really helped. it is called Kaopectate. I hope I helped you out. Hatzlacha rabba.

lucky

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 9:42 am
I too have survived it, There was an outbreak in school and cheder and my kids picked it up. I also got it but was pregnant at the time and ended up in the hospital.

Tovah

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 11:12 am
I had it too, when I was in school it was going around. Gravel was my best friend then

lucky

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 11:29 am
Tovah wrote:
I had it too, when I was in school it was going around. Gravel was my best friend then

What is Gravel?

proudmom

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 11:30 am
it prevents nausea. It is good for people that have car sick, sea sick

lucky

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 11:33 am
Never heard of it. I it an over the counter? Can u get it in the U.S.?

proudmom

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 11:34 am
yes it is over the counter and you can get it in the usa

queenie

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 10:06 am
My friend's kids had it too. but they weren't nauseaus, they just had terrible cramping and diarhrea. Her kids are toilet trained so she just sprayed the washroom with lysol constantly and took all the towels out of the bathroom and switched to paper towels.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 09 2005, 4:44 pm
Gravol is great for motion sickness but that doesn't usually go with shigella. It's just a very very loose stool and cramping.

Has anyone had nausea with shigella? Has anyone been throwing up with shigella?

proudmom

Post Tue, Aug 09 2005, 4:49 pm
Quote:
Has anyone been throwing up with shigella?

my daughter did. It was horrible

queenie

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 3:39 am
Proudmom,

was your daughter tested for shigella? Where was she tested and how do they test for it?

hardwrknmom

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 9:54 am
oh good ol shigella.. I had it as a kid and will NEVER forget it. Not only did I have it, my mom, dad and all my siblings had it at the same time. IT was horrible. The nightmares, the hillusinations, fever, constanitely urinating anywhere. oh I don't want to remember it!

queenie

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 10:44 am
How did you know everyone in your family had shigella and not something else? Were you tested for it?

And pardon me for asking but, hallucinations?? Why would you have hallucinations with a gastro? If your fever is so high you are hallucinating I think you should be in a hospital.

Quote:
Urinating anywhere
???? Excuse me? What does that have to do with shigella? You lose bladder control too? I don't think we are talking about the same thing here. Your family had something but I don't know what!

proudmom

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 11:13 am
queenie wrote:
Proudmom,

was your daughter tested for shigella? Where was she tested and how do they test for it?

My daughter was suffereing from it then my son got it so I took him to the doctor and I told the doctor what the symptoms are (they both had the same symptoms) and he said it is shigella

queenie

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 11:18 am
So then was your daughter tested? How did they test your daughter?

And really, the doctor was just assuming that your son had it. I mean it seems likely but he didn't really know unless he tested for it right?

How long did you have to wait for the test results for your daughter?

hardwrknmom

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 2:34 pm
http://gsbs.utmb.edu/microbook/ch022.htm

Read up about it.

Yes we all had it at the same time and there was no need to all be hospitalized.

queenie

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 4:10 pm
I have never heard about anyone being hospitalized for shigella.

But you didn't answer my one simple question. How did you know you really and truly had shigella and not another gastro virus? Were you tested? How were you tested? Who did the testing?

I am just trying to find out if all these people that say they had shigella really had it. Many gastro viruses are similar but unless you are actually tested you don't really know.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics