Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What kind of MM - Senior citizens theme?

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 10:19 pm
What kind of things can I give for MM? We are all dressing up as senior citizens. I have candy canes and candies in pill boxes. What else?

Thank you!

iammom

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 10:20 pm
Jello

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 10:25 pm
I think any actual senior citizens are likely to be a bit put off by your mm.

Are there any older folks on your list of mm recipients?

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 10:29 pm
DrMom wrote:
I think any actual senior citizens are likely to be a bit put off by your mm.

Are there any older folks on your list of mm recipients?

I think it is a great theme. They can dress like cripples next year and blind people the year after.

Soft easily swallowed food like apple sauce is great in MM.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 10:41 pm
Those gummy teeth. They can be "dentures"

agreer

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 11:44 pm
I also think this theme is in poor taste. IY"H we all hope to be senior citizens and in good health - without canes, pill boxes and dentures!

If you HAVE to do this theme because it's too late, can you make it more positive? Like give something gold (gold coins/golden delicious apples) as seniors are now in their "golden years"?

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 12:40 am
I am assuming this is a joke (I hope).

CatLady

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 7:40 am
I'm 62 years old, which makes me not even eligible for the best seniors' discounts, and this "theme" is rubbing me the wrong way. Not all seniors are creaking and infirm. Some of us (like me) are training to walk a half-marathon, rediscovering new hobbies and interests in anticipation of retirement (me and all my friends), or rocking on stage like Mick Jagger. He's 74, which classifies as being a senior.

The only way to salvage this is to invite your parents along, and have them dress up as millenials.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 8:05 am
My dd dressed up as an old lady when she was 6. She looked so funny with her reading glasses , gray wig in a bun and cane! On the way to my parents she stopped walking and said, “I hope Bubby won’t think we’re making fun of her “. I was touched by her sensitivity and told her, “Bubby’s not old yet! She will love your costume!” FTR... Bubby was 80!

Op, do you know old people well enough that you will bring mishloach manos to? A great aunt, a chashuva rebbetzin? Do you think they will find this funny and cute? Perhaps they always eat soft foods and take pills or lost their teeth? Are you making fun a little? It’s one thing for a little kid to dress up like an old person... but grown ups to? And a themed mishloach manos? I think if you’re sticking with your costume then just give something delicious and classy for mishloach manos.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 8:41 am
Why is it negative to be old?

We all pray to get there. All 90 year olds have gray hair, unless they dye it.

imasinger

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 8:57 am
There was just an article in the local paper yesterday that a number of towns are renaming their Senior Center, changing it to things like Activity Center, to appeal to the many older people who don't like being typecast.

I see no problem with kids dressing up as older people, that's always cute. But IMO, the food should be the most delicious home baked foods, or the closest hechshered equivalents, with a note about "just like bubby makes.". Not candy pills, jello shots, or soft foods. Save those for the year you do a medical theme.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 10:11 am
amother wrote:

It’s making fun

CatLady

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 11:47 am
Quote:

Getting older is great. Not only do I get to dye my hair blonde (to cover all the gray), but I get to say stuff like "Meh. I'm too old for this!" And one of the things I'm too old for is negative stereotyping. I will never complain about getting older. It's a privilege that's not guaranteed to everyone. But I don't want to be stereotyped or mocked.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 2:52 pm
I can't believe how ridiculously PC this site is. Honestly, is there anything people won't get offended by? Rolling Eyes

I think it would be cute to use a miniature rocking chair or a hospital bed for the package. You can put it in a bag or put plastic around it, tied at the top, to keep the contents in. You could put in a can of creamed corn, a bottle of iced tea, potato salad, or some canned soup like they had in the soup kitchens during the depression. Jello would be good but it's not kosher. Sad

It's just honoring old people. My grandmother and my old friends would think it's really cute and funny.

3mitzvos

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 2:54 pm
prune juice

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 3:20 pm
amother wrote:
I can't believe how ridiculously PC this site is. Honestly, is there anything people won't get offended by? Rolling Eyes

I think it would be cute to use a miniature rocking chair or a hospital bed for the package. You can put it in a bag or put plastic around it, tied at the top, to keep the contents in. You could put in a can of creamed corn, a bottle of iced tea, potato salad, or some canned soup like they had in the soup kitchens during the depression. Jello would be good but it's not kosher. Sad

It's just honoring old people. My grandmother and my old friends would think it's really cute and funny.

I am the furthest person from PC. I always call a spade a spade.

In this case, this is way over the top, and if you can't see it, I pity you.

If you want to honor older people do things from their prime - not when they are lame and need creamed corn.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 10:08 pm
Come on. People here insist they wouldn't mind if people dressed up as chassdic or other kinds of Jews, and that Indian (not any one of hundreds of native cultures, just "Indian") costumes or Chinese costumes are OK and complain about how the PC police are ruining everything. So if that's ok, why couldn't OP use senior citizens as her theme? And why shouldn't she use things stereotypically associated with senior citizens instead of learning anything about them and what they really do? Wouldn't that be silly?

So of course every non-hypocrite that believes it's ok to dress up as other cultures should see that it's equally ok to dress up as senior citizens. What's the problem?

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 10:16 pm
amother wrote:
Come on. People here insist they wouldn't mind if people dressed up as chassdic or other kinds of Jews, and that Indian (not any one of hundreds of native cultures, just "Indian") costumes or Chinese costumes are OK and complain about how the PC police are ruining everything. So if that's ok, why couldn't OP use senior citizens as her theme? And why shouldn't she use things stereotypically associated with senior citizens instead of learning anything about them and what they really do? Wouldn't that be silly?

So of course every non-hypocrite that believes it's ok to dress up as other cultures should see that it's equally ok to dress up as senior citizens. What's the problem?

Because they are making fun of their physical infirmaries. The OP wanted to use candy canes and pill bottles. You can't see that is disgusting?

If you want to honor our seniors, do something about the greatest generation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics