Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Giving $ to the kids who deliver MM
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 9:46 pm
Never got money. Grew up OOT, but lots of our parents were originally New Yorkers. Still nothing.

We give taffies now. I didn't get that either growing up. Then again, the whole family used to get invited into the house to stay and visit every five or so houses, so there's that.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 9:46 pm
seeker wrote:
Wow, I'm surprised at some of the numbers going out here. It was always the custom in my community growing up, and I always saw my mother giving to people who came to us. When I was a kid the standard was a quarter but luckily some exciting homes gave up to a dollar. Now my mother's giving dollars, and I don't have a set custom because we don't have that many people coming to us - my kids' friends mostly, and those just exchange MM. But anyway I never heard this business of giving more for older kids (do they need more entitlements or something? This is simchas yomtov, not a business.)

I'm thinking quarters because that's what I have. Little kids are excited just to get something, they don't register how much it's actually worth. Big kids, I dunno, grow up.

Maybe you don't remember but even 30 yrs ago, they gave according to age. The five yr old received a quarter and the 10 yr old received fifty cents to a dollar. I even remember getting those $2 bills, those were a special Purim thing and only older kids had the privilege to receive it, since little kids didn't know the difference.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 9:54 pm
Wow! I am shocked... growing up some did, some didn’t. But those who did have a quarter or maybe a dollar. I don’t give and my friends don’t either.

People please!!! Stop with the new mandated gifts. I feel like every time I turn around (or log into imamother) there is something new I must give or else... Now it is mandatory to bribe not only teachers and staff at school multiple times a year but now to give $$$ to kids who are helping out their parents by running the MM in from the car?? And high dollar amounts based on age? Entitlement maybe??

tovli toraspicha

Post Wed, Feb 28 2018, 9:58 pm
As a kid, I do remember a few people giving out quarters to the mishloach manos deliverers , mostly the older recipients. I haven't seen it so much lately, although I think it's nice when you can hand a candy or cookie or little treat to the kids who come to the door. But not if it adds up to way too much and gets out of hand.

happyone

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 12:22 am
Actually just remembered. Two years ago I went to the bank and got a stack of $2.00 bills. I gave that to all ages . They were thrilled because it's not generally used or in circulation and seen daily and I saved quite some Money. Still got stuck with the nephew's and niece's expecting a "few" of them Smile I should probably run early morn to the bank and see if they still have.

bsy

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 6:00 am
My parents get 20 or dollars in quarters and give 50 cents.

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 6:24 am
I have never heard of this. I asked a few of my ffb friends and none of them have heard of such a thing. Gelt is for chanukah. Are these kids keeping the money for themselves? Or are you giving them money for them to put into tzeddaka? Thats what I first thought when I opened this thread but now I’m not so sure. Purim is about giving matanos levyonim. Not spending on shalach manos, a seuda, and now “purim gelt”!

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 7:10 am
I grew up OOT in the 70s and it was a definitely a thing to get money for delivering MM, not a new thing.

Simple1

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 7:34 am
Never heard of it.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 8:21 am
watergirl wrote:
I have never heard of this. I asked a few of my ffb friends and none of them have heard of such a thing. Gelt is for chanukah. Are these kids keeping the money for themselves? Or are you giving them money for them to put into tzeddaka? Thats what I first thought when I opened this thread but now I’m not so sure. Purim is about giving matanos levyonim. Not spending on shalach manos, a seuda, and now “purim gelt”!

This is Purim gelt for the kids. Not tzedaka money. That is a separate thing. Some very special kids take their own Purim gelt and give it to tzedaka. But it's intended for the kids. I guess when shalach manos wasn't such a big deal and people gave an orange and mini grape juice to 10 people , there was that money on the side to be able to give the kids fifty cents instead of a lollipop pop, which the next generation started doing.
There is a Yiddish chant that some kids used to sing, this is the translation.
Today is Purim , tomorrow it's out
Give me a penny and throw me out.

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 8:33 am
bsy wrote:
My parents get 20 or dollars in quarters and give 50 cents.

That's 40 kids. We run through that easily that many kids in an hour because the kids come with siblings. Those that don't show up with the MM come back for their money.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 9:05 am
My parents give half dollars
Me? Maybe when we're65 we'll have enough ppl at our door to make a financial difference...!! We are happily super unpopular!

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 9:19 am
Squishy wrote:
That's 40 kids. We run through that easily that many kids in an hour because the kids come with siblings. Those that don't show up with the MM come back for their money.

When I lived in neighborhoods with lots of kids we just gave a quarter and a colorful Lolly. When the $20 worth of quarters used up, it used up. I don't think kids expect to get. If they do they appreciate it.

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 9:27 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
When I lived in neighborhoods with lots of kids we just gave a quarter and a colorful Lolly. When the $20 worth of quarters used up, it used up. I don't think kids expect to get. If they do they appreciate it.

I agree with you. There has been a huge inflation. My kids come home with a lot of money. They get $.50 or $1.00 per MM each.

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 9:30 am
I never heard of this either.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 1:26 pm
Kids fight to do it. Americans tip for that too?? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 1:48 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Kids fight to do it. Americans tip for that too?? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

If it makes you feel better, we don't tip.

Someone offered to drive my DD so DD could deliver our MM for us, and I intended to giver her a Sephora gift card for her efforts. But she backed out (and DD is at a friend's house anyway), so I was chauffeur.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 1:51 pm
My kids got quarters, dollar bills, and 2 dollar bills when delivering mm.

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 1:57 pm
Never heard of giving more than a $1. Usually it's a quarter to a dollar. It's not a "must." I thought that usually some elderly people didn't give mishloach manos back and they would just give the kid a little money.

DREAMING

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 12:52 am
Definitely got some money as a kid delivering mm. I give $1 and little kids I like to give a treat (lolly or chocolate)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics