Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Walking out of the bathroom with a towel around the waist
Previous  1  2  3  Next

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 5:14 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
It's not my husband doing it, I am the in-law here, and think it's not okay. Even from the bathroom to the bedroom if you are passing people in between.

I agree with you. I would even have an issue with a bathrobe.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 5:20 pm
Wow what’s the big deal if a man walks around in a bathroom in front of his children ? And many people consider children in law to be the same. And from the bathroom to the bedroom without a shirt on? What’s the big deal? He’s not chilling in the kitchen like that! Why is everyone saying this is wrong? Men bathing suits just cover waist down. I’m not saying Walking around in a bathing suit is ok - I am saying a topless guy is not the same at all like a topless girl.

DrMom

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 11:58 am
doodlesmom wrote:
Is it okay for an adult male to walk around the house with just a towel around is waist when there is company in the house- I.e. In law children?

What do you mean by "in law children?"

Your in-laws (I.e., his parents) and their children (his siblings)?

Or your siblings (his siblings in-law) and their kids?

The first is odd, but not so horrible (relatively speaking). But the second is much more inappropriate.

Aylat

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 1:25 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Honestly I probably would be put off by a bathrobe around the house over a naked body as well. Just get dressed!!!

All clothes are worn over naked bodies.

doodlesmom

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 8:42 pm
DrMom wrote:
What do you mean by "in law children?"

Your in-laws (I.e., his parents) and their children (his siblings)?

Or your siblings (his siblings in-law) and their kids?

The first is odd, but not so horrible (relatively speaking). But the second is much more inappropriate.

His sons and daughters in law.
And it can sometimes be in the kitchen as well.

ETA: not his siblings in law his kids spouses

Last edited by doodlesmom on Sat, Mar 03 2018, 11:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

Butterfly

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 9:51 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
His siblings in law

Had it been FIL; Puke Puke

Married BIL; shock Shame on you

BIL; single; Rolling Eyes Scratching Head

JMHO.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 7:59 am
amother wrote:
Someone told me that her dh told her
that he is used to go like this in the mens mikvah

And with all due respect but:

A mikva is very different to a private home. The nature of a mikva is that you do undress and when you are finished you get dressed.

And there are no women in the mikva when the men are there.

Big difference.

L K

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:03 am
Is fil by any chance from a different culture?

Not that I think it is ok but I know some people who - given their country of origin- could totally condone it.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:05 am
amother wrote:
Wow what’s the big deal if a man walks around in a bathroom in front of his children ? And many people consider children in law to be the same. And from the bathroom to the bedroom without a shirt on? What’s the big deal? He’s not chilling in the kitchen like that! Why is everyone saying this is wrong? Men bathing suits just cover waist down. I’m not saying Walking around in a bathing suit is ok - I am saying a topless guy is not the same at all like a topless girl.

Turn it around: Do you really think that children in law appreciate him walking around like that? It makes no difference if it's from bedroom to bathroom.
When I stay in a private house/apartment I do not apprecite to have men walking around in that state! A bathing suit is to be worn on a beach and not at home.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:08 am
amother wrote:

Going anon because people are horrified, but I completely agree. My in-laws have a pool and all the males (father-in-law, brother-in-law, my husband, and nephews) come into the house in towels after swimming

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:09 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Turn it around: Do you really think that children in law appreciate him walking around like that? It makes no difference if it's from bedroom to bathroom.
When I stay in a private house/apartment I do not apprecite to have men walking around in that state! A bathing suit is to be worn on a beach and not at home.

It’s his body in his house (on a walk from a bathroom to a bedroom) if he’s not embarrassed by his body, then every one who is should cast their eyes to the floor.

We all have bodies under our clothes.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:11 am
I would be embarrassed to see my father or brothers in just a towel.
I’d be embarrassed if Dh was seen by someone other than me in just a towel.
B"H they are all sensitive and respectful enough to cover up.
A long bathrobe is fine IMO.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:12 am
amother wrote:
Going anon because people are horrified but I completely agree. My in-laws have a pool and all the males (father-in-law, brother-in-law, my husband, and nephews) all come into the house in towels after swimming

I have an understanding that when a guy is coming out of the shower with a towel wrapped around him he is not wearing his underwear like someone wearing a bathing suit.
And in my circles, if the men went swimming , including my DH and kids they wear a tshirt. My DH never goes in front of my boys without an undershirt or shirt on. It's just an extra sensitivity put into place.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:38 am
amother wrote:
It’s his body in his house (on a walk from a bathroom to a bedroom) if he’s not embarrassed by his body, then every one who is should cast their eyes to the floor.

We all have bodies under our clothes.

He may do as he wishes in his house, I agree.
Does not mean that bodies need to be flaunted if it makes people uncomfortable.
Ever heard about tzniout? Well tzniout is also for men. Could you imagine a respectable Rav or Rosh Yeshiva walking between bathroom and bedroom with a towel around the waist when there were other people around (like children in law etc). I don't think so.

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:43 am
I think a bathrobe is acceptable, much moreso than a towel.

A bathrobe covers the upper as well as lower body, and it far less likely to slip than a towel is.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:45 am
DrMom wrote:
I think a bathrobe is acceptable, much moreso than a towel.

A bathrobe covers the upper as well as lower body, and it far less likely to slip than a towel is.

Agree. A bathrobe is a garment. A towel is not.

raleighima

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 8:54 am
Would be very uncomfortable if I saw any man do this with guests over. If my husband were in the shower while guests dropped by, I would discretely ensure there were clothes for him to change into in the bathroom and inform him people had stopped by.

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 9:44 am
raleighima wrote:
Would be very uncomfortable if I saw any man do this with guests over. If my husband were in the shower while guests dropped by, I would discretely ensure there were clothes for him to change into in the bathroom and inform him people had stopped by.

Isn't he whole idea of a bathrobe that you can leave the bathroom as soon as you've showered, and get dressed in your own room at your leisure without monopolizing the bathroom?

Seems that leaving the bathroom quickly in a bathrobe is the considerate thing to do, especially if there are guests who need that same bathroom.

Also, sometimes, if the bathroom isn't very well-ventilated, it's difficult to dress quickly in a steamy bathroom.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 11:37 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
walking from one room to another is not “walking around” just don’t look while he makes his way to the bedroom. What is the big deal. when I see things like that they don’t even register. It’s like a fleeting thought but not something that actually irks me or ruffles my feathers so to speak. I don’t see walking from bathroom to bedroom outside the realm of appropriate. It’s similar to a bathing suit being appropriate attire in a pool area.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 04 2018, 11:41 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
I have an understanding that when a guy is coming out of the shower with a towel wrapped around him he is not wearing his underwear like someone wearing a bathing suit.
And in my circles, if the men went swimming , including my DH and kids they wear a tshirt. My DH never goes in front of my boys without an undershirt or shirt on. It's just an extra sensitivity put into place.
ok so just figured this out! All of you saying this is horrifying must be chasidish. You stated above that in your circles men wear shirts when going swimming. So In that case, the chest is always covered and its not Tzniyus not to. Where I come from, dh swims without a shirt. He’ll wear a towel around his waist when walking from bathroom to bedroom and it’s not offensive. I can’t say when there’s guest hell do the same, but I don’t think he’d be embarrassed if someone saw him like this for a fleeting second or two.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette