Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Leftovers-what do you do?

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 9:12 am
What can I do with Tonz of baskets, boxes, bags? Dozens of soda cans, chip bags, ring pops, and what not?
Giving it to the kids is not an option. They had their hefty dose of it yesterday.
I threw out a ton of candy already but I find it silly to throw out 30 bags of chips.
Are there places to donate to?

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 9:34 am
I know the Ukrainian community used to take leftover candy and chocolate (no snacks or bake goods) I know also the Pinsk community did it for a while. You can send it to chevras tehilim in your local shul

esuss

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 9:42 am
Snack bags that we get is used for my kids school snacks for as long as they last. Baked goods is Shabbos desser and Shabbos party. Extra candy is garbage - I say it is ba'al taschchis to eat it.

miami85

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 9:50 am
I prepare about 30-40 mishloach manos, and we get probably 30-50 in return. Most of them are simple 2-4 items. Some are more elaborate, but ultimately we use up everything within a few days. The candy get spread out over the next month. I usually go away for pesach, but if I needed helpers to clean for pesach/spring cleaning, I just got great incentives. I don't think of candy as "evil" if eaten in moderation.

emzod42

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 9:52 am
I work in a non-jewish place. We have a table in the break room where people leave food for others to take. I bring in what we don't want. If you have large quantities maybe donate to local food pantry.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 10:08 am
Our local Jewish food bank collects unopened packages.
Save kitniyos.
Parcel out for snacks/Shabbos party.
Make a plate and label it and leave it in your kids' school's teacher's lounge.
Send to yeshiva with your son/brother/etc.
Save reusable packaging for next year.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 10:13 am
My gift to DH's secretaries and staff at the office. So glad it's gone from our home.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Mar 02 2018, 11:11 am
Released Time in New York collects.

It's an organization that sends bochurim into public schools once a week or provide a Jewish hour for the Jewish kids.

cbg

Post Sat, Mar 03 2018, 6:30 pm
Packaged candy, snacks, baked goods, I send to shul, to the rabbi of the children's minyan. He uses it as incentives for the next 4 weeks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics