Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Help with meal ideas: sugar, flour, grain free
1  2  Next

DVOM

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 1:38 pm
Hi everyone!

I am on a new food plan and I'm struggling to come up with appetizing meals. I can have protein and veggies, and that's just about it. I also cant have sugar, flour, or any grains.

I know that if I eat the same stuff over and over again I'll get bored and resentful. I need to find foods I like and find interesting.

Any ideas?

Batyah85

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 1:50 pm
Salmon and tuna patties made with eggs onion spicescoconut flour ,lentil soup, meat and veg soups, stir fry, salad w protein, shakshuka, omelets...

simba

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 1:59 pm
I like this recipe
http://www.busyinbrooklyn.com/.....cipe/
its delicous, try and find a marinare that has no sugar or make your own marinara.

DVOM

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 2:37 pm
simba wrote:
I like this recipe
http://www.busyinbrooklyn.com/.....cipe/
its delicous, try and find a marinare that has no sugar or make your own marinara.

This looks delish! thank you!

DVOM

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 2:38 pm
Batyah85 wrote:
Salmon and tuna patties made with eggs onion spicescoconut flour ,lentil soup, meat and veg soups, stir fry, salad w protein, shakshuka, omelets...

Stir fry sounds interesting, but I cant use soy sauce. Any stir fry recipes that are sugar and flour free?

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 2:39 pm
DVOM wrote:
Stir fry sounds interesting, but I cant use soy sauce. Any stir fry recipes that are sugar and flour free?

Can you use coconut aminos? Or just garlic, ginger and scallions?

Batyah85

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 2:40 pm
Yea I was about to post coconut aminos- you can get at trader joes

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 2:42 pm
Some ideas:
Roasted cabbage wedges with lemon and stone ground mustard
Zoodles- with garlic oil, or lemon zest and salt and pepper
Beets with ginger
Can you have corn?
Can you have tofu or only vegetable based proteins? What about nuts? What about beans?
Red Cabbage salad, white cabbage salad, Israeli Salad, kale salad, baby spinach salad,

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 2:46 pm
You won't be able to use all, but lots of good ideas here.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....55907

crust

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 2:47 pm
DVOM wrote:
Hi everyone!

I am on a new food plan and I'm struggling to come up with appetizing meals. I can have protein and veggies, and that's just about it. I also cant have sugar, flour, or any grains.

I know that if I eat the same stuff over and over again I'll get bored and resentful. I need to find foods I like and find interesting.

Any ideas?

Suate a diced onion with a diced red, green, orange and yellow pepper.
Add diced chicken breast.

Add tomatoe sauce for a different flavor.
Add squash for a different texture.

mandksima

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 3:10 pm
Most Paleo recipes would fit the bill.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 6:24 pm
Can you have any low sugar fruits, like blueberries? They make good desserts.

Treat yourself to a nice selection of Pesach cookbooks, that don't do gebrokts or kitniyot. You'll find lots of creative ideas there.

Experiment with veggies you don't usually eat, like kohlrabi, turnips, parsnips, or whatever you usually skip at the store. It will expand your palate and your menu.

As you adjust to your diet, you'll find your taste buds will prefer simple flavors, and really appreciate them. Just some roast sweet potatoes or some steamed sugar peas will be amazing!

Invest in lots of fun spices. Again, experiment and try new combinations of flavors. When eliminating food groups, adding spices for variety is the best calorie-free way to keep yourself from feeling deprived.

Another good source for recipies is the HCG diet. Google "pounds and inches meal plan" for ideas. (Just ignore the pork chops and shrimp. Wink)

Laiya

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 7:00 pm
Eggs: scrambled, omelettes, sunny side up

Chicken cutlets: grilled with bbq spices, or cut up and sauted with schwarama spices
crockpot chicken: chicken, onion, zucchini
roast chicken

sides: salad, Israeli salad
sliced vegetable platter
sauted vegetables
grilled sliced vegetables with sea salt and olive oil (peppers, mushroom, purple onion, zucchini, eggplant)
baked squash fries
grilled green beans
baked carrots (add lemon, honey and parsley)
sweet potatoes if permitted; sweet potato fries

salmon or sandwich steak with any of the vegetable sides
zucchini lasagna if you can have marinara sauce (just substitute noodles with thick slices of zucchini)
broccoli or cauliflower soup, with or without cheese

These work well for pesach too Smile

Eta. Also burgers with sliced tomato, lettuce and onion, and meatloaf with diced carrots, onion, green beans, tomatoes, peas and corn if allowed.
Roasted parsnip fries on the side

Last edited by Laiya on Thu, Mar 15 2018, 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

saralem

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 7:09 pm
Lots of broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts—any of them roasted with red onion and spices. Add some chicken or fish. Zaater is a great spice for vegetables. If you can have legumes, make pea soup or lentil soup. Very satisfying. Add cubes of tofu to soup.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 7:15 pm
Your new way of eating will take you by surprise. Surprise because getting bored becomes not really a problem when you aren’t eating those things. In general you eat to live instead of live to eat. I spend so much less time cooking now than I used to!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 8:49 pm
just want to point out that a lot of the spice blends contain sugar

crust

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 8:54 pm
amother wrote:
just want to point out that a lot of the spice blends contain sugar

Like?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 8:57 pm
Wash an eggplant, slice in half, brush with oil and roast in the oven until soft.

Marinate pargiot or chicken cutlets in olive oil and shawarma spice,. Add onions too if you like. Grill, fry or roast while eggplant is roasting.

Top each eggplant half with slices of chicken and Israeli salad and top with tahina.

Sounds long but it's super simple and goooood.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 9:04 pm
Can you have legumes? Roast a huge pan filled with whatever vegetables you have in the house, and include chick peas if it's allowed. When it's ready, serve it on top of lettuce and season with Greek salad dressing (olive oil, vinegar/lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, tiny bit of mustard if you want). You can add feta cheese too. Yummmmmm.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Mar 15 2018, 10:13 pm
crust wrote:
Like?

the schwarma spice I have, has. don't remember which others- but def remember seeing. now, it might be so little as not to be an issue, but still wanted to point out another place where sugar is hiding
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking