Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/O Are you a natural homemaker or not? domestic help
1  2  3  Next

How much hired help do you have?
8+ hours daily  
 5%  [ 13 ]
2-4 hours daily  
 3%  [ 8 ]
Once a week  
 26%  [ 69 ]
2-3 days a week  
 23%  [ 61 ]
Before a holiday  
 3%  [ 9 ]
Occasionally  
 9%  [ 25 ]
Never- I can't afford it!  
 17%  [ 45 ]
Never - what a waste of money!  
 7%  [ 20 ]
Other- please elaborate  
 2%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 257

happyone

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 11:37 am
How much domestic help do you have ? I hate that question and never ask it in person, reason is the response to that has many factors. Finances, family size, spouse assistance , teenage help, domestic capabilities, health issues, working in or out of the home, FT, PT , SAHM, and so much more.
On an anonymous forum you may get more answers as to how much help different people get on a daily /weekly basis.

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 11:43 am
I have a few hours a week of help. I struggle to bend over due to some health issues so I have a college student who comes and helps me with cleaning up all of my kids toys, takes out any garbages that are too heavy for me, and any other odd tasks that I have. I can then focus on keeping the kitchen clean and the laundry managed which is already enough work for me to do. Plus cooking etc.

My husband does not mind mopping if all of the toys are picked up. We take turns with the bathroom. And my oldest likes to vacuum so its all a team effort in the end.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 11:44 am
I have a service that comes once a week (usually 2-3 people) that stays maybe 30-45 minutes each time. My husband and I both work full time.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 11:47 am
I have health issues so I have 12 hours of help daily .

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 1:25 pm
We do not make ends meet. I have 6hours 3times a wk. More before pesach. We get stuff on craigslist hand me downs etc but to me it's like paying for therapy. Noone would judge that! If I didnt spend 200 a wk on cleaning help I have no doubt I'd be in therapy. Rough childhood. I need the help keeping our home together and then I'm a great wife and mother.

tichellady

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 2:15 pm
I used to have a few hours of help a week but now I’m not working so I don’t have help. If I needed help, I would get it, but we are doing fine. I’m not a great homemaker but I get the job done!

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 2:20 pm
I don't have help. I have had at times but dh doesn't mind cleaning even though I HATE it and he never liked how the ladies cleaned. Right now dh does it. Bh I can afford it so if dh wants we can get help 1 or 2 times a week.

teachkids

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 3:20 pm
I'm not naturally a cleaner, so I wish I did, but can't afford it. BH my husband takes on a lot of the cleaning for me.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 3:42 pm
My husband and I both work full time. We do technically have the ability to have cleaning help, but we choose to "make ourselves crazy" cleaning the house ourselves (no its not easy at all), and we get our kids involved as well...we then put aside all of our unspent cleaning lady money and use it on pure extras. We are thinking of using it next on a pesach hotel.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 4:01 pm
I have help once a year, for a day before pesach. If I could afford it, I would have more, but not every week.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 4:14 pm
I have 8-12 hours a week, spread over 2-3 days. I am a SAHM with three little kids. We are not rolling in money, but I need this for my sanity.

lavenderchimes

Post Thu, Apr 05 2018, 5:36 pm
I said "Other" in the poll -- it's a combination of "I can't afford it," also I don't feel like it's necessary for me because I don't have kids and only work part time, plus it doesn't bother me to have a somewhat cluttered and dusty house as much as it bothers some people. Good Yom Tov:)

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Apr 07 2018, 8:28 pm
I have Monday- Friday 4 hours daily. We bothbwork and dh is a neat freak. Only way we cope,..

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Apr 07 2018, 10:21 pm
I have 3 hours, 3 days a week. 9 hours total. WAHM, a lot of kids home all day, and most of them inherited my slobby sloppy genes so the house got disastrous without it. I could spend time on trying to maintain the house SOME days, but not consistently.

This helps my sanity and more importantly my shalom bayis. And we have guests often due to DH's work so it helps for kiddush Hashem too...

No we can't afford it but my mashpia/mentor really pushed for it and somehow there's always money for it at the right time, even though there isn't always money for other things I would deem important.

curlyhead

Post Sat, Apr 07 2018, 10:38 pm
3hrs a week as cleaner are fortune here. They charge $20-$25 here. I have a large family and we are all not neat. I wish I can work more in exchange for cleaning help but not financially worth it.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Apr 07 2018, 10:46 pm
amother wrote:
I have Monday- Friday 4 hours daily. We bothbwork and dh is a neat freak. Only way we cope,..

Does your help come while you're at work or when you're home?

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Apr 07 2018, 10:52 pm
I have 30 hrs paid help. She doesn't touch the wash. DH probably puts in another 20. Kids also must keep their rooms spotless and help with chores.

DH likes a spotless house. I grew up in a museum house and refuse to dedicate my life to a house.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Apr 07 2018, 11:04 pm
amother wrote:
I have 30 hrs paid help. She doesn't touch the wash. DH probably puts in another 20. Kids also must keep their rooms spotless and help with chores.

DH likes a spotless house. I grew up in a museum house and refuse to dedicate my life to a house.

A week?
That sounds a bit over the top to me!
We have a big house, two messy little kids, I'm messy and dh can be messy.
I have help 8 hours a week and put in probably 10 hours of my own INCLUDInG laundry, and on the two days the cleaning lady comes, the house is spotless.

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Apr 07 2018, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:
A week?
That sounds a bit over the top to me!
We have a big house, two messy little kids, I'm messy and dh can be messy.
I have help 8 hours a week and put in probably 10 hours of my own INCLUDInG laundry, and on the two days the cleaning lady comes, the house is spotless.

Yes, it is way too much right now. The lady doesn't work for anyone but me (her preference), so I don't want to cut her hours. Normally, I do heavy cooking and keep her occupied.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 12:29 am
Both dh and I work full time, and we have a full time housekeeper whose main responsibility is childcare. She also does the bulk of the housekeeping, though it's hard to quantify how many hours that aspect totals. I guess maybe 2 hours a day? I find those 2 hours a day far more valuable than having someone 5 hours twice a week, because she is able to keep up the daily maintenance that way. We're on a very tight budget, but this is what works for us. The other childcare options locally are non options for my needs.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics