Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
If you are a mikvah lady did you also host

amother
Green

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 9:36 am
Our shul opened a Shabbat and YT mikvah this year.
First Pesach.
Want to know how other mikvah ladies handle being at the mikvah and hosting.
Not only YT, but all year round Shabbat, but especially Seder night when there's lots to prep.

All tips greatly appreciated.

Also, if we do decide to open week days, does this mean I can never go to a simcha? Not that we have that many in our OOT community.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 11:00 am
I am a volunteer ML in an OOT community. During the week we have paid shomrot but Friday/Yom Tov/kallahs etc are volunteers.

I coordinate those times and shomeret a good percentage of them. Friday night Mikvah is really quick as there is no prep. I meet the person at the Mikvah 5 minutes before the earliest time to go (which generally works out to be roughly when maariv is finishing). By the time I unlock the door and they undress it is time to dip. Then they get dressed again. The whole thing takes about 12 minutes. I live close, so I'm out 20-25 minutes and get back 10 minutes after the men get back from shul.

As my name is all over the shul website/newsletter everyone knows I shomeret Friday night. I just thank my guests for waiting. It really isn't a big deal.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 11:03 am
Just wanted to add, if you decide to open weekdays it can be by appointment only. If there is a simcha on a day when someone is coming, you can switch shomeret duty with someone else.

shanie5

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 12:32 pm
What Oak said in her post. You can let potential guests know that you have an appt., and they may have to wait a few minutes for you to get home. I've done that as guest and as host. (I do tell my host that before accepting a Friday night invite.)

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 4:25 pm
My mother did it for years. We just knew she goes out for a bit. My little siblings thought she helps an old lady. Was never an issue.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 4:50 pm
We are an OOT mikvah and have about 4 or 5 appts a week on average. We are by appt only. Each mikvah lady is on duty for a week and then it switches to someone else. So as others have said if I'm on this week but have a simcha on Thursday I could ask someone to take that night for me instead. We help each other.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 8:02 pm
Op here

I was asking more along the lines as how you organize everything at home, when you are having guests.

Usually I prep the salads after I light candles.

The thing is it takes me 20 minutes to walk back home from the mikvah.
I have no one else to help prep at home. Just DH and I, and DH is at shul on Friday night.

For Seder we had few guests, and myDD was home. Basically she ran the kitchen when I was at the mikvah, and everything was ready when I and the guests got home.

I'm the only mikvah lady. Since the Mikva opened I don't have guests Friday night, and I miss it.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 8:35 pm
In that case, I would prep the food and everything before you leave to the mikvah. Then tell the guests to come at ___ time. So if you know you won't get home until 8pm tell them to come at 8:15 but have all your prep work done. If you want to you can tell your guests you are the mikvah lady on Friday nights and that is why you request they come at that time.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 8:51 pm
amother wrote:
Op here

I was asking more along the lines as how you organize everything at home, when you are having guests.

Usually I prep the salads after I light candles.

The thing is it takes me 20 minutes to walk back home from the mikvah.
I have no one else to help prep at home. Just DH and I, and DH is at shul on Friday night.

For Seder we had few guests, and myDD was home. Basically she ran the kitchen when I was at the mikvah, and everything was ready when I and the guests got home.

I'm the only mikvah lady. Since the Mikva opened I don't have guests Friday night, and I miss it.

If the Mikva is busy enough that there is a lady needing it each Friday night... perhaps it’s time to find some help for you?

amother
Green

Post Sun, Apr 08 2018, 9:05 pm
I guess I need to be more organize.
Have everything prepped before Shabbat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics