Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
School dinner - would you go?

Moonlight

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 12:42 pm
I already paid the school dinner fee - would you go?
I don't know any of the honorees. Is it an enjoyable evening or not really and I should just give the school the money and stay home (and save on babysitter )

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 12:52 pm
Can't tell you if you should go or not, but bear this in mind if you think you will be itemizing your charitable contributions for tax year 2018:

Dinner fee even if it is required as part of your parent obligation is fully tax deductible if you don't attend the dinner. If you do, then you need to deduct from your charitable deduction the cost of the dinner, which is often quite pricey. Can't tell you how you and your lor feel about maaser, but for me it makes sense that dinner donation when they didn't feed me equals tzedakah, but if they fed me, the price of the dinner is not tzedakah.

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 1:03 pm
I like going. DH does not so he stays home and saves the babysitter. Its a nice chance to get dressed up and see my friends. It helps that my kids school makes the dinner not a night of boring speeches and the food is pretty good too.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 2:16 pm
Just send your husb, especially if its separate seating

Moonlight

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 2:21 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Just send your husb, especially if its separate seating

Husband not able to go at all. He'll be at work.
Wondering if I should go alone or stay home

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 2:22 pm
I would not go personally. Since you are asking, it's obviously not something that would be a fun social occasion for you - I.e. a nice evening out where you could schmooze with friends.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 4:18 pm
I always try to go to the dinner. It's my way of showing support to my children's school. They don't just need my check - they need a crowd too.

mommyhood

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 4:24 pm
Ours is nice. The food is very good, the speakers are usually taped in advance so it's boring but tolerable and they end with a great video. If you have a friend to sit with it's a nice way to show support. I generally do not know the honorees so I don't go specifically for them.

monseymom25

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 5:30 pm
When your kids see you making the effort to go they will see that you support their school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics