Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How do you childproof windows?

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 12:46 pm
I need to childproof second and third story windows. My kids know how to push in the wedges that come on the windows.
I am trying to find something that will stop the windows from opening at all, but can be opened by an adult in the case of emergency, cv"s. I prefer if its inconspicuous.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 2:16 pm
In Israel we put bars. Very effective unless you have a house fire.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 3:59 pm
there are bars that are meant to be opened by fire-people. They aren't inconspicuous and you can open the window so it doesn't sound like what you want op. Personally I can't relate wanting to not be able to get fresh air so I'm not much of a help.

lucky14

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 11:33 pm
Iymnok wrote:
In Israel we put bars. Very effective unless you have a house fire.

That's so scary.

losingweight

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 12:10 am
There's a little piece to buy that you screw in where you want the windo to stop. It has a release button in case of emergency. Greater windows in Boro park sells it.

Teomima

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:16 am
lucky14 wrote:
That's so scary.

Why scary? I love having bars in my windows! I can know 100% for sure that my kids can't fall out the windows, nor can anyone break in through them. If the scary part to you is regarding fires, keep in mind house fires are rather rare here. Construction is done almost exclusively from stone and cement so buildings just aren't generally flammable.

Sorry, OP, off topic. Don't have advice for you seeing as I'm obviously in Israel.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:25 am
You need something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Zelta.....locks

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:38 am
I have bars on my windows. (Some insurance companies wouldn’t insure me because of that.... )

momnaturally

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:03 am
You could put a screw going in to the wall sideways just above the window and let it stick out just a tiny bit so it is not so visible.
But then you need to keep a drill accessible nearby in case of an emergency.

Goldie613

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:55 am
Try a hardware store or a store that sells lots of child safety stuff. There's a kind of window guard that can be opened in an emergency by pulling out a metal pin. With the pin in place, the gate stays closed.

Also, I don't know if they still make it, but there used to be a safety latch that went near the window frame and it kept the window from opening more than a couple of inches. When you needed to open the window all the way, you needed to use a key to open the latch. I think a lot of people kept the key near the window on a hook or something - it was meant to keep burglars out but worked to keep kids in too ;-)

Off hand, you can also try these =

https://www.toysrus.com/buy/do.....45666

https://www.safebeginnings.com.....ofing

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....p_hza

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 1:34 pm
Bars with lock and key hanging nearby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics