Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
12 Seater - Nissan vs. Ford Transit

bk

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 8:47 pm
Hi,

We are on the market for a new vehicle. We are looking for one of the 12 seaters. Has anyone compared the Nissan and the Ford?

Would love to hear from all of you that have any of these vans!

Thank you!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 8:54 pm
We just went through the same thing.
We settled for the nissan because it was way more comfortable!
After doing a test drive with the ford transit my kids said they felt like they were driving “spirit airlines”

The transit you can get a great deal used, whereas used Nissans depreciate at a slower pace. We went for a new Nissan

bk

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 9:12 pm
Thank you so much for your response!
We did a test drive today of the Ford Transit and hope to do one of the Nissan tomorrow. It definitely was a bumpy ride - almost like a truck.

So basically, aside from the comfort feature, the Nissan is a 'better' make? It seems to be (only) slightly more expensive, we will be getting a used vehicle the question would then be if it makes more sense to get an older model nissan with perhaps more miles vs. a newer Ford with less miles..

Anyone else out there with any input?

These decisions aren't easy for me!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 9:18 pm
I wrote a detailed post a couple of weeks ago I think.

Nissan is for sure a smoother ride. Bigger front though. Faster brake time. Ability to open side window. Retains value (better if you plan on selling it later worse if you plan on buying used Wink ) Maintenance is supposed to be very easy with the engine right there. I wouldn't know. We got ours 2.75 years ago and only needed to bring it in once or twice for an oil change -- nothing else B"H. Nissan only has sliding door; Transit has either option, different preferences. Easier to walk into the Transit with a running board, but the step into the Nissan is so not a big deal and my 2.5 yo can do it. Headrests are nice on both, but Transit has better visibility. Transit has seats with a slight recline; Nissan does not. Nissan you can get leather seats (and pay for it Wink ) if you wish, you can't with the Transit. Some people like the aisle seat by itself in the Transit, but not everyone does. If you get a 12 seater Transit (not 15 seater) you do have more storage space in the back. We are a family of 10 KA"H and we've travelled in it and not had a space issue (we use carry on sizes under kids' feet). Nissan has fewer LATCH anchors for car seats, but I installed without LATCH with no problem.

Bottom line is that there are pros/cons to both (check out my other post because I'm for sure forgetting things). Nissan has been on the market longer in America and has a good track record. Ford is a bit newer, so hard to know if it holds up the same way or not.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 9:20 pm
Have the Nissan. It's GREAT! smooth ride, roomy seats, I wish we splurged for the leather though... Otherwise it's fantastic!

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 10:37 pm
I posted on the other thread HY is talking about - https://www.imamother.com/foru.....37469

I strongly recommend the Nissan over the Ford.

bk

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 11:06 pm
Thank you for posting the link, very helpful! Seems like the majority is towards the Nissan which I find interesting since I just see more fords around, perhaps because they are simply more affordable.

Will test drive the Nissan tomorrow and hopefully make a decision.

Thanks again!

Maybe

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 11:18 pm
How about installing seats in a Ram Promaster ? 3 seats in the front is a factory option.

Front wheel drive best in winter, almost 1 foot lower e-z step in-out, more stable ride .

https://www.commercialtrucktra.....84249

Maybe

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 11:43 pm
https://frconversions.com/vehi.....nger/

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, May 03 2018, 5:52 am
We have a Ford 15 seater. We just bought it a month ago. We went with the Ford because of the Eco Boost Engine (which is Turbo charge and very powerful) and the high roof which you can stand in. So far we’re really enjoying it. It’s very spacious and roomy. We really like the separate aisle seat too. We were considering the Nissan but it didn’t suit our needs.

bk

Post Thu, May 03 2018, 11:50 am
Amother Wheat, can I trouble you specify as to why the Ford suited your needs over the Nissan? Is it simply because you were you looking for a 15 passenger van?

I'm confused about your comment on the engine as I was told the Nissan's engine is more powerful... which is true?!

cbsp

Post Thu, May 03 2018, 1:33 pm
For those with the Nissan, it was mentioned that the height is 7 feet. What do you do about parking garages?

The clearance for the CHoP Beurger Building garage is 6'10" - there's wheelchair van parking that seems to allow for a taller vehicle but we BH don't have handicapped plates...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 03 2018, 10:24 pm
You have to look for garages with higher clearance or park on the street. When I go to my doctors' office, the first 2 levels are high enough for my van, so I daven I find a spot there Smile

When I had to take my baby to the ER a couple of years ago, there was only the first level with high enough clearance and Hashem made a space for me right there (and I was able to back in, which is not something I am super savvy at).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics