Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Meghan markles wedding dress
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Coffee Addict

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 1:17 pm
amother wrote:
Perhaps because I've only seen stills, not video, I didn't think it fit poorly.

I thought that the dress was absolutely magnificent. Simple. Timeless. Elegant. It fit her style perfectly.

It also served as a perfect backdrop for the magnificent veil with the Commonwealth flowers. The veil would have been too much with a more embellished dress, but was perfect with the simple one.

I was also thrilled to see her hair up. I hate the trend of wearing hair down as a bride, as if the bride was coming from a day at the office. I even liked the "not quite perfect" perfection of the look.

In 30 years, no one will look at their wedding photos and exclaim "what was she thinking!" as we do looking at Princess Diana's photos. (Or at least as I do. Sorry, but that dress was an amalgam of everything that was wrong with the late 70s/early 80s.)

It’s a beautiful simple dress indeed. The fit though didn’t seem quite good. But you can’t judge on pictures and videos perhaps.

About the hair, it’s a matter of taste 😁

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 1:52 pm
zaq wrote:
Leave the woman alone. She looks happy, what more do you need? She has a lifetime of scrutiny and sniping ahead of her, can’t you all let her be until at least after the honeymoon?

She had the huge over the top spectacle because she wanted to be seen and talked about. She choose to have the open carriage, etc. She wanted to outdo. She is an actress who loves all eyes on her.

She could have married in England and minimized the pomp and circumstance.

watergirl

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 1:54 pm
Squishy wrote:
She had the huge over the top spectacle because she wanted to be seen and talked about. She choose to have the open carriage, etc. She wanted to outdo. She is an actress who loves all eyes on her.

I dont believe she had a choice about most of those things, which are quite the standard for this type of royal wedding.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 1:58 pm
Squishy wrote:

I'm not entirely sure it would have been allowed, but I'm hardly an expert on the royal family or its peccadilloes.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 2:06 pm
Squishy wrote:

she was going to be seen and talked about regardless. This was a Royal wedding.

She used to live 5 mins from my house. She certainly wasn't a person walking around making airs.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 2:15 pm
I thought the dress was lovely. Its possible she lost a bit too much weight beforehand - the week previous seemed pretty stressful with her father in the headlines.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 2:24 pm
My teenage daughters and I were very disappointed in the dress, which we of course googled right after yomtov. We all exclaimed "THAT'S the dress???". Just way too big and baggy for her on top, such poor fitting, for a royal, celebrity wedding, it's hard to understand. (I sew, and have a strong sense of fashion as an artistic aesthetic, so I am very interested in something like this.)

I feel the very simple, clean lines were actually a wise choice, she is not an enchanting young fairy princess type bride like Diana. She is a divorced woman in her upper thirties, so if she chose to wear white at all, a simple gown was just right, and she could have looked absolutely dignified and regal...but the fit of the gown and the SLOPPY HAIR (say what you want about signature hairstyle, she looked like she did her own hair on a hurried morning!) were just a huge disappointment.

She looked innapropriate for a royal wedding, the messy, severely parted hair, lack of makeup, ill-fitting gown, and just general sloppiness were exaggerated under the magnificent royal tiara she wore. To me she seemed to to be denigrating the status of royalty with a sort of "couldn't care too much" aesthetic.

Glad to have somewhere to air my views, lol. Oh, and her reception dress was much nicer than her wedding gown, it actually fit!

amother
Brown

ra_mom

WhatFor wrote:
Totally agree with you but I think some people here are just passionate about fashion and care about the actual dress.

Anyway, what do those ladies think of this? Is the top part actually sheer or tznuah? Would you wear?

https://www.popsugar.com/fashi.....69606

I think she looks great in that.
The top is sheer.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 2:27 pm
amother wrote:
My teenage daughters and I were very disappointed in the dress, which we of course googled right after yomtov. We all exclaimed "THAT'S the dress???". Just way too big and baggy for her on top, such poor fitting, for a royal, celebrity wedding, it's hard to understand. (I sew, and have a strong sense of fashion as an artistic aesthetic, so I am very interested in something like this.)

I feel the very simple, clean lines were actually a wise choice, she is not an enchanting young fairy princess type bride like Diana. She is a divorced woman in her upper thirties, so if she chose to wear white at all, a simple gown was just right, and she could have looked absolutely dignified and regal...but the fit of the gown and the SLOPPY HAIR (say what you want about signature hairstyle, she looked like she did her own hair on a hurried morning!) were just a huge disappointment.

She looked innapropriate for a royal wedding, the messy, severely parted hair, lack of makeup, ill-fitting gown, and just general sloppiness were exaggerated under the magnificent royal tiara she wore. To me she seemed to to be denigrating the status of royalty with a sort of "couldn't care too much" aesthetic.

Glad to have somewhere to air my views, lol. Oh, and her reception dress was much nicer than her wedding gown, it actually fit!

It's a shame that this attitude is what you're passing on to your impressionable teenage daughters.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 2:29 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I think she looks great in that.
The top is sheer.

As are the arms.

Hated her pantyhose (too light for skintone), but otherwise lovely.

She seemed to be sharing a laugh with Camilla Parker Bowles, which I rarely see.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 2:30 pm
Some yentas in my shul (who obviously watched in on tv - they were not frum) were discussing if she was pregnant. Rolling Eyes

amother
Brown

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
It's a shame that this attitude is what you're passing on to your impressionable teenage daughters.

Oh, please. We all love art and fashion design, and had a great time taking her look apart and designing what "she should have worn.". We all sew and love putting materials together, designing, etc. This is just a normal conversation for us, like we talk about symmetry, balance, design and appropriate aesthetic when designing any clothes. Don't get yourself into a twist!

Raisin

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 2:33 pm
https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/19.....0558/

Out of all of them, I like Meghans best. Followed by the queens. I agree the fit wasn't perfect though but not disastrously so.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 2:39 pm
amother wrote:
Oh, please. We all love art and fashion design, and had a great time taking her look apart and designing what "she should have worn.". We all sew and love putting materials together, designing, etc. This is just a normal conversation for us, like we talk about symmetry, balance, design and appropriate aesthetic when designing any clothes. Don't get yourself into a twist!

Just out of curiosity, if it happened to be your daughter's wedding, and someone else who "love[s] art and fashion design" decided to have "a great time taking her look apart and designing what," and posted similarly disparaging comments about their dresses, would you respond "oh please" to those who said it was not a great idea?

greengrapes

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 2:41 pm
Very disappointed. I think any jewish bride can look 10 x nicer. Very u underwhelmed

amother
Brown

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 2:53 pm
[quote="amother"]Just out of curiosity, if it happened to be your daughter's wedding, and someone else who "love[s] art and fashion design" decided to have "a great time taking her look apart and designing what," and posted similarly disparaging comments about their dresses, would you respond "oh please" to those who said it was not a great idea?[/qu

I'm having a hard time understanding why you are reading a thread which contains a lot of discussion and criticism about a woman's wedding gown then?

WhatFor

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 3:01 pm
Squishy wrote:

Not all actors like all eyes on them. Some act for the experience of acting bc they are artists. There are plenty of introverted actors who don't like ppl following them around once the show is over.

Also would imagine she had limited input into the sort of wedding they would have.

pause

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 3:11 pm
I too was disappointed by the gown. I liked her makeup - totally her style. But I also thought the center part didn't do justice to her face. I didn't care for her hair in an updo, but I didn't think it was sloppy. Only later when she came out for the reception, did her front hairs go flying.

Kate is still my favorite. I was glad to see her in a dress she'd originally worn post-partum. Makes me feel like she's still human...

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 3:14 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
Just out of curiosity, if it happened to be your daughter's wedding, and someone else who "love[s] art and fashion design" decided to have "a great time taking her look apart and designing what," and posted similarly disparaging comments about their dresses, would you respond "oh please" to those who said it was not a great idea?

I'm having a hard time understanding why you are reading a thread which contains a lot of discussion and criticism about a woman's wedding gown then?

There's a difference between discussing the dress and denigrating the woman. You crossed the line. You referred to her as "messy" "sloppy" "inappropriate" and "denigrating the status of royalty" with a sort of "'couldn't care too much' aesthetic."

ETA --

She was wearing makeup. It was expertly and beautifully applied, so that she didn't look like it had been spackled on.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics