Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Choosing a school for dd

amother
Oak

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 11:27 am
Hi! I posted this in the Special Needs forum. I'm going to also post here in case others who aren't on that forum have further suggestions!!

My dd is currently in 5th grade in a public school. She's been there for 4 years: 2 were amazing, 1 was terrible, and this past year was pretty good, nothing amazing, but not awful like last year. (Due to new zoning rules we had to switch schools last school year and fought for a different one for this year.)

Dd is off to middle school next year. The public middle school isn't a great atmosphere, and I'm very worried about bullying. Dd is 12, but functions barely like an 8 year old in some social instances. She is progressing academically, but her sensory and social development hold her back. I've heard the public school is a very tough environment.

My other option is homeschooling with using an online program. However, I have been down this path with dd before and it was just plain awful. I can't meet her needs as her teacher. I did it for 3 years (1 1/2 with her IEP) and realized it was not a good situation. Her challenges make it so difficult to parent. Adding the full-time academic responsibilities was a disaster. So we found the elementary school program in the public school.

There aren't any secular private schools in the area. The Jewish day school is not an appropriate choice for her needs. Moving is not happening, although I wish it could.

I literally can't sleep trying to decide what to do! Please advise if you can!!!

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 12:56 pm
First of all, you sound like a wonderful mother who really wants the best for her daughter. Brava!

Would it be possible to hire someone to oversee her homeschooling? Maybe a local college student studying something like special education, speech, OT, etc? A girl recently returned from sem, if she's mature enough? This may take some of the burden off of you, and kids often work better for someone who's not mom. This person could serve as a cool older sister/mentor. That, combined with some extracurricular activities and a homeschool co-op (if available), might give you daughter a chance to continue to grow her social skills in a friendlier environment.

Also, keep in mind that no decision is permanent. Could you give the middle school a chance (and be really particular with her IEP) and pull if it's not meeting her needs?

I wish you lots of success, whatever you choose!

mha3484

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 1:00 pm
I dont know where you live but I drove past this in my midwestern community recently so I looked it up and it looks like such an interesting idea for a child that needs an alternative approach to traditional schooling. Maybe there is one of these where you live? https://www.fusionacademy.com/.....ions/

rgr

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 1:16 pm
would repeating a grade help her or be hard for her socially?

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 1:18 pm
She is in a regular class or special ed? How is the public school working on her social/ emotional issues? That should be a priority more than academics!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics