Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Did your Tottini denim dress this season shrink 3 inches?
1  2  Next

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 7:36 pm
Tottini in Lakewood produced their own adorable denim dress this season. Except it shrinks 2 sizes after just the first wash. From what I am hearing so far - this has been happening to every single one they sold (store admitted this too after having many many people bring them back).

I asked a Rav if this is a Mekach Ta'us and he said most definitely and I am 100% allowed to dispute the charge if they do not refund me for them. I decided to get in touch with the store directly and let them know the verdict, giving them a chance to make up this mistake before I did initiate the chargeback.

They reluctantly agreed to take back the 2 dresses and give me a store credit or refund. They said that they did ask their own Rav who told them that they are not responsible to refund everyone as it is usual for clothes to shrink. However, I highly doubt that the Rav was told how significant the shrinkage is to the point that the dress is completely not tznius or fits properly.

If you did purchase the denim dress and would like a refund, I advise you to contact the store directly via email (They don't answer the phone) at info@tottini.com and request that you expect a refund. It seems that they will take care of all those who do this. If you do feel that you want to, you most definitely can dispute the charge in accordance with Halacha.

Parnassah is hard, we all know, but a store that manufactured their own product has to take responsibility for their own mistake. They should be helping those who contact them, not making up excuses.

[This OP of this thread is giving — unintentionally — an object lesson on how NOT to post on Imamother. Despite it having been reported more than once, I have not locked this thread because you could say it's self-correcting. Pretty entertaining too if you read the whole thing. — Rubber Ducky as Mod]

das

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 9:11 pm
The dress shrank after just washing it? Or did you dry it?

Also did you ask your Rav about posting this or just about the mekach taus part?

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 9:18 pm
Sound strange... the store sells very nice clothes at very low prices. I love their baby strechies and rompers. They didn’t shrink.

BUT... You can’t expect every last garment they produce to be top quality at that price. Just saying.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 9:55 pm
Did you wash it in cold water & hang to dry??

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 9:56 pm
I washed the dress in cold water and hung to dry - I don't put any clothes into the dryer.

I love Tottini and their cheap prices. But $44 down the drain is real money.

I posted this so that people who have had this problem should know that they are right to ask for a refund and if they ask - they likely will get one. I am not trying to bash them in any way - rather trying to help others.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 10:04 pm
Did your rav say you should post this?
I feel like you should take down this post. You got your refund. Why advertise this? If anyone is unhappy with something they bought they can speak to the store themselves they don’t need you to post this. (I have nothing to do with the store,never shopped there etc)

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 10:05 pm
amother wrote:
I washed the dress in cold water and hung to dry - I don't put any clothes into the dryer.

I love Tottini and their cheap prices. But $44 down the drain is real money.

I posted this so that people who have had this problem should know that they are right to ask for a refund and if they ask - they likely will get one. I am not trying to bash them in any way - rather trying to help others.

If the bolded is true consider deleting the last paragraph in your OP.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 10:30 pm
Thsnk you so much for posting this. I love tottini and bought tons of clothes from them this season. T-shirts and skirts were great. I wouldnt return it biy one size 7 denim skirt shrunk to a even size 5 my daughter wears a 6 so I did size up with almost everything because I know they shrink. Its smallish on her but should last the season. Except for one pajamas it was made of models they told me not to size up and it's perfect on her the size six. I love there stuff and think they have a very generous return policy compare to some other stores example shoppers paradise. But I wish somone would invent an app where we can review some of the expensive clothing found in the Jewish stores. So the stores as you say can own up to mistakes and also make it easier to shop. I almost brought my daughter a dress and then realize it was see through in sunlight I wouldn't put such a young girl on a slip and I wouldn't line it either so yes review would save time. And even if I discovered the mistake a few days later the store wouldn't of returned it. And they make you feel like it your problem your a bad shopper So yes, I disagree with other posters thanks for bringing it to our attention

pizza4

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 10:51 pm
amother wrote:
Thsnk you so much for posting this. I love tottini and bought tons of clothes from them this season. T-shirts and skirts were great. I wouldnt return it biy one size 7 denim skirt shrunk to a even size 5 my daughter wears a 6 so I did size up with almost everything because I know they shrink. Its smallish on her but should last the season. Except for one pajamas it was made of models they told me not to size up and it's perfect on her the size six. I love there stuff and think they have a very generous return policy compare to some other stores example shoppers paradise. But I wish somone would invent an app where we can review some of the expensive clothing found in the Jewish stores. So the stores as you say can own up to mistakes and also make it easier to shop. I almost brought my daughter a dress and then realize it was see through in sunlight I wouldn't put such a young girl on a slip and I wouldn't line it either so yes review would save time. And even if I discovered the mistake a few days later the store wouldn't of returned it. And they make you feel like it your problem your a bad shopper So yes, I disagree with other posters thanks for bringing it to our attention

Perhaps true but this is not an expensive store. It's smart to size up and allow for shrinkage. Lots of non Jewish companies clothing shrink as well.
I have nothing to do with the store, only shopped there a couple times and was very impressed.
If op needs so bad to inform the general public of this, she can do so without embellishment.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 9:21 am
Not sure about the denim dress, but I bought many boys T-shirt’s from them this season, for $12-$14, and I was shocked when I saw my friends bought the same T-shirts from AliExpress for 5bucks a piece.
Not a knockoff or private label. Just the same exact items.

It’s not really their own line. They shop it right off Ali, and up the price.
They even send the clothes with the Chinese label on! I was disappointed because if I buy these online by then, I can shop it at Ali directly.

I just felt cheated.

chatz

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 9:45 am
Seriously?

Stores make their money from bulk purchasing items and reselling at a higher price. Very very basic.

Now with the internet, it's often easy to purchase products at the bulk price directly from the manufacturer or at a slightly higher price from a reseller with little over head.

But to get upset that a store is reselling for profit??? That's their business! That's basic! If you don't like it, it's a free market!

Omg, do I post "I just brought tempura paints from Amazon at a cheaper price than my local store?"

And if people aren't happy with their purchases, they can contact the store. That's part of the advantage of not digging through AliExpress. Among others

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 9:55 am
Amother black, I guess you don't know how aliexpress works. The store most definitely doesn't buy it off ali's, they make their own stuff. The way Ali works is they copy clothing from all companies & put on said company labels on all clothing. The quality is usually garbage. I can spot an Ali item from far... they look exactly what they are, cheap.
So no, the stores do not buy from Aliexpress & sell for more!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 9:57 am
amother wrote:
Not sure about the denim dress, but I bought many boys T-shirt’s from them this season, for $12-$14, and I was shocked when I saw my friends bought the same T-shirts from AliExpress for 5bucks a piece.

They even send the clothes with the Chinese label on! I was disappointed because if I buy these online by then, I can shop it at Ali directly.

I just felt cheated.

They did you a service. Instead of wading through pages of t-shirts and picking things without knowing what size quality etc, you had it nicely displayed in the store and could try it on and return. You paid for this service. You were not cheated.

I've never bought anything from Tottini but I bought lots of stuff this winter from a different store that gets things from Ali. They were able to advise me re sizing (Chinese sizing can be way off) and they only sold Ali stuff they'd tested for quality. Everything washed and fit beautifully. I'd happily buy things from there again-my sister who ordered stuff straight from Ali had to toss quite a bit.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 9:59 am
amother wrote:
Amother black, I guess you don't know how aliexpress works. The store most definitely doesn't buy it off ali's, they make their own stuff. The way Ali works is they copy clothing from all companies & put on said company labels on all clothing. The quality is usually garbage. I can spot an Ali item from far... they look exactly what they are, cheap.

That is actually not true. There are stores that order directly from Ali though Ali knocks off everything and anything so its hard to know whats a knockoff and what isn't.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 10:21 am
No store orders from Ali. Ali sells Gucci & Burberry dresses for $20, do you really believe it's the real thing?
You can see on a knockoff that it's a knockoff. Ali's stuff are paper thin junk.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
Tottini in Lakewood produced their own adorable denim dress this season. Except it shrinks 2 sizes after just the first wash. From what I am hearing so far - this has been happening to every single one they sold (store admitted this too after having many many people bring them back).

I asked a Rav if this is a Mekach Ta'us and he said most definitely and I am 100% allowed to dispute the charge if they do not refund me for them. I decided to get in touch with the store directly and let them know the verdict, giving them a chance to make up this mistake before I did initiate the chargeback.

They reluctantly agreed to take back the 2 dresses and give me a store credit or refund. They said that they did ask their own Rav who told them that they are not responsible to refund everyone as it is usual for clothes to shrink. However, I highly doubt that the Rav was told how significant the shrinkage is to the point that the dress is completely not tznius or fits properly.

If you did purchase the denim dress and would like a refund, I advise you to contact the store directly via email (They don't answer the phone) at info@tottini.com and request that you expect a refund. It seems that they will take care of all those who do this. If you do feel that you want to, you most definitely can dispute the charge in accordance with Halacha.

Parnassah is hard, we all know, but a store that manufactured their own product has to take responsibility for their own mistake. They should be helping those who contact them, not making up excuses.

I am really unimpressed with this. I'm curious to know if you asked your Rav if you can spread this with negativity that you posted it with. You decided to ask your Rav first because you thought it would be a fight for a dress that costs 20 dollars unlike other expensive items. I'm sure they would have refunded you even if you didn't ask your rav. How do you know what their Rav told them? You are just assuming a lot of things and in a negative way which almost seems like lashan hara to me.
I'm curious to know if you go into Ladida with a $150 dollar item and they will refund you in similar situation. I don't know what the case would be, but, from shopping in other stores in Lakewood from experience, many places will not refund or will give you a very hard time.

There's a way to spread your message with positivity, for example; "Tottini is an amazing store with adorable clothing for very afforadable prices. Many people in Lakewood get their whole wardrobe there as opposed to when they used to have to go out more to malls, shop and return online, or shop in more expensive stores. You noticed that one of the dresses shrunk and when you went in, they did refund you for it!' Be happy for that! Whether it was reluctant or not!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 10:51 am
We shop at a Jewish store for 1) tznius-and the Jewish look that comes with it 2)good quality
I can buy a skirt for $5 at target if not for these two factors. Stores should tell naive customers how to size up if it's such a drastic size jump. I size 1 size up sometimes two sizes if it runs very narrow. But if the dress can't be worn that's not fair. If it runs so small If the store finds customers complaining they should bring let other customers know to size up. Other problems with clothes that I wasn't informed about in other Jewish stores necks that couldn't fit over a child's head, zippers that broke first time it was opened because it was sewn very cheap. And clothes that pimples. Why I shop in a Jewish store
Higher neckline
Longer clothes
3/4 sleeve for the summer so I don't have to layer

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 10:53 am
amother wrote:

I just felt cheated.

Is this serious?!? Is anyone stopping you from buying from Aliexpress? Is the fact that you are paying 6 dollars more a t-shirt to be able to try it on, have the option of returning it, or even as mentioned above, get refunded once there is an issue, really not worth it?

Do you think that when you shop in any store, that they are selling it anywhere near the price that they they got it for? You probably know they won't but it's really not fair that over here there is an option on your own to buy it for cheaper! Its much more fair when they only mark up the price and you dont have the option to get it anywhere else.

I'm in disbelief

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 11:02 am
Most stores will take back damaged items only if the company will refund the loss for the store. But in order for the company to do that, enough people have to bring the item back.
I've had a stunning $140 wool dress ruined. I didn't think I'd get a refund but I tried my luck. The store said that many people bought it back & the company is taking the dresses back.
I saw a nice thought in a store this season. By the rack of a certain company dresses they hung a sign "these dresses shrink a size please size up". It's very nice if them & they're also saving themselves aggravation.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 4:04 pm
amother wrote:

Actually, a lot of their clothing is from AliExpress. That’s a fact. But that being said, they have every right to buy from Ali and resell. And you have every right not to buy from them. Recently, they have been manufacturing more of their own stuff.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics