Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Which Sheitels have Indian hair, now assured by R Sternbuch?
1  2  Next

Mevater

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 10:26 am
I bet a lot more sheitel brands, than what the sheitel manufacturers are admitting to, are from India, possibly mixed with some European hair and hair from other countries.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 11:25 am
So it changed again. I'll be sticking to my rav...

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 12:00 pm
Ruchel wrote:
So it changed again. I'll be sticking to my rav...

This. Please consult your LOR. You really don't want to take dramatic steps without consulting. If you're feeling uneasy fine, don't wear your sheitlach till you resolve it, but don't make any assumptions till you have some IRL discussion with someone in the know.

Fox

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 12:21 pm
If you haven't seen the documentary Just Extensions, you should do so. It's available on iTunes and most subscription services. I watched it on Amazon Prime. Even if your LOR doesn't feel there's a problem with avodah zora, there's definitely a problem with false advertising!

CDL

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 12:33 pm
Where’s the woman who posted about bobov Rav saying hello kitty is fine even though it’s Avoda zara, because people’s parnassah rely on it? Ok so let’s apply that to sheitels....

cookiecutter

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 1:29 pm
CDL wrote:
Where’s the woman who posted about bobov Rav saying hello kitty is fine even though it’s Avoda zara, because people’s parnassah rely on it? Ok so let’s apply that to sheitels....
My Rav is an expert on this, because he used to be oveid Hello Kitty before he became a Baal Teshuva.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 1:50 pm
Didn't Rabbi Belsky pasken that Indian hair is fine? And thanks, fox, I watched the documentary on your recommendation. Very interesting... false advertising, indeed.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jun 15 2018, 2:31 pm
All the planets must be in allignment today Smile
I was going to write the exact same thing as MG8 when I saw the title

happysmile1

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 1:28 am
Rav Shternbuch and other Rabbanim sent a shliach down to India two weeks ago and he came back with the same info that Rav Dunner found 14 years ago- supposedly even stronger info showing clearly that the Indian hair is tikrovas avoda zora. Rav Shternbuch has a weekly newsletter and this past week he wrote about the big meeting that took place with Rabbanim about the Indian hair issue. This is part of what he wrote (translated from Hebrew):

"About 2 weeks ago a shaliach went to India, and this week, after an extended stay in India, he returned with answers to the questions. A short time after he came back to E"Y the shaliach came back to the house of Rabbeinu and many rabbonim and Poskim came also to hear what he had to say.

At the gathering was RAv Shmuel Eliezer Shtern the rav of Bnei Brak the West side, Rav Moshe Mordechai Karp, the Av Beins Cdin of Modiin Illit, and the author of Hilchos Chag v'Chag, Rav Yisroel Ganz the head of Yeshivas Kol Torah and the Rosh of the kehillas of Bayit Vegan, Rav Tzvi Weber, the Rav of Neve Yaakov, Rav Yitzchak Mordechai Rubin, the Dayan in Rav Nissim Karelitz's Beis Din and the Author of Orchois Shabbos, Rav Nochum Eisenstein, the Rav of maalot Dafna, Rav Yosef Yitzchak Blinov, the Rav of the Center of Bnei Brak, who came at the request of his father in law Rav Landau, and Rabv BEntzion VAye, one of the Dayanim of the Eida Charedis,

The shaliach gave over his testimony in more than an hour and even answered different questions posed by Rabbeinu and the other rabbonim during the giving over of testimony. The Rabbonim expressed their worry on the matzav that got clarified after questioning, and they tried to find how to set out a hashgacha to check from the time of hair cutting to make sure it's not from India. At the end of the gathering, Rabbeinu got together many experts in the Hair Industry to discuss solutions. Rabbeinu shlita emphasised at the end, now at this time it's a very serious situation and you have to again warn the tzibbur to be very careful of their souls not to have benefit from hair from India because this hair is assur of the issur of takroves which is one of the most serious of serious issurim. He added on, that it is clear that
that those individuals that permitted in the past did not have the facts straight, and if they did they would not be matir. Rabbeinu added furthermore that a lot of the time from the Brazilian or European hair that it's actually originally Indian, but it goes via those countries and it's sold under the guise of Brazilian or European hair when really it's source is India. Therefore everyone has to be worried for his soul to check very well in his house that he shouldn't stumble in his house that he shouldn't stumble in bringing takroves into his house. And IY"H in the near future there will be additional details clarified about this issue. Rabbeinu finished off saying this issur is one of the most serious of serious ones and you should be very careful about this and in accordance with the difficulty is the reward. Anyone who is moser nefesh to be careful about this is guaranteed that his reward is very great in this and what is coming, and through this he sanctifies the name of heaven not to bring the abomination into his house."

penguin

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 1:36 am
DH's opinion is that if Rav Moshe Feinstein Ztz"l allowed it many years ago he doubts Rabbonim in US will be willing to say that Rav Moshe could have erred. In other words, even if there's "new information", Rav Moshe was such a major gadol that it's not possible such errors would have come about on his watch.

(Like the story of the lady who went to a rov (I'll calle him Rov A bec I can't remember...) & said that she had a heter from a certain huge Rov (Rov B) to remarry after the war, and the original husband now turned up. Rov A asked her over and over to repeat her story, and she finally confessed that she had forged the letter from Rov B.

When asked how he know to keep pushing, Rov A said, Rov B was such a tzaddik, I knew HKBH would never allow such a tragedy to come about from his psak. It just couldn't be.

So DH evidently feels that way about Rav Moshe.)

happysmile1

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 1:39 am
I saw the documentary "Just Extensions" too- it was very disturbing. The Human hair industry is clearly corrupt and the main character found that most hair from "South America" is relabeled Indian hair (and this is the same with "European" and other hair as well). She is also told by the manager of a chinese hair company that all the good remy hair comes from India.

The majority of the high quality human hair is coming from Indian temples. Theres an expert in the human hair industry- Alix Moore. She wrote a book called "The truth about the human hair industry" and she's been in the industry for over 20 years. On her website she writes how 85% of the human hair is coming from Indian temples.

There is just no other place in the world where so many women are cutting such long, high quality human hair every day. Rav Shternbuch said that the only wigs allowed to be worn are those that were watched from the time of the cutting to the final production of the wigs- but this is almost impossible as most hair sellers dont see the cuttings of women selling their hair and its not feasible to watch hair through all the stages of production (the actual cutting, the buying of the hair, shipping the hair to China where there is no regulation in the industry but most wigs are manufactured there with relabeled hair etc...)

happysmile1

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 1:45 am
Rav Elyashiv was a huge Gadol and he definitely assured the Indian hair as did many other Gedolim - he sent a shliach (Rav Dunner) down to India 14 years ago to check the situation. He assured the hair based on what Rav Dunner found.

Rav Shternbuch did the same thing now (sent a shliach down to India for two weeks to check the situation there)- this news was all over the Israel news sites.

Thats why Rav Shternbuch wrote in his weekly newsletter:

"He added on, that it is clear that those individuals that permitted in the past did not have the facts straight, and if they did they would not be matir.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 5:47 am
The hair isn’t cut in the temples.
It’s a question if it’s the hair that’s A"Z or that lack of hair that is.
It may also be the sale of the hair that funds the A"Z temples.
Some is also sold by the destitute Indians who need some cash.
Indian hair is stronger than other hair. Also more grows on each head than other people’s.
European hair is Indian hair that is brought to Rome and treated to remove the pigmentation after being sorted by length in India.

These trips happen every now and then. The problem is getting someone who speaks the local language and English/Hebrew/Yiddish fluently. The same word may mean two different things in different cultures. So the local Indian culture and warship must be clearly understood to determine if it is indeed a problem.

It does seem that there are people who have an agenda to prohibit wigs. This issue needs to be dealt with without personal opinions being mixed in.

allcuteonesrtak

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 6:24 am
happysmile1 wrote:
I saw the documentary "Just Extensions" too- it was very disturbing. The Human hair industry is clearly corrupt and the main character found that most hair from "South America" is relabeled Indian hair (and this is the same with "European" and other hair as well). She is also told by the manager of a chinese hair company that all the good remy hair comes from India.

The majority of the high quality human hair is coming from Indian temples. Theres an expert in the human hair industry- Alix Moore. She wrote a book called "The truth about the human hair industry" and she's been in the industry for over 20 years. On her website she writes how 85% of the human hair is coming from Indian temples.

There is just no other place in the world where so many women are cutting such long, high quality human hair every day. Rav Shternbuch said that the only wigs allowed to be worn are those that were watched from the time of the cutting to the final production of the wigs- but this is almost impossible as most hair sellers dont see the cuttings of women selling their hair and its not feasible to watch hair through all the stages of production (the actual cutting, the buying of the hair, shipping the hair to China where there is no regulation in the industry but most wigs are manufactured there with relabeled hair etc...)

Your words sounded familiar.
We're you banned from posting about shaitels? (I know it was a temporary 2 week ban.. it just seems like you are copying and pasting your previous posts..)

Disclaimer for other posters who may not remember:
Happysmile1 doesn't think wigs are an appropriate form of kisui Rosh, period. Regardless of where the hair originates from.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 6:27 am
happysmile1 wrote:

Happysmile1 we know your agenda here. We know your against sheitels whatsoever. EVERY SINGLE POST you ever posted about since you joined Imamother was your crusade against sheitels.

I suggest you listen to the headlines radio about this topic. It might just blow your mind.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 8:47 am
CDL wrote:

I missed that post. Can you link? Sounds fascinating.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 9:40 am
SuperWify wrote:
Happysmile1 we know your agenda here. We know your against sheitels whatsoever. EVERY SINGLE POST you ever posted about since you joined Imamother was your crusade against sheitels.

I suggest you listen to the headlines radio about this topic. It might just blow your mind.

I'll tell you the truth. I heard the Headlines you're referring to. It made me uneasy but my feeling was that if serious halachic minds are saying it's ok, then it's ok, and I trust my sheitel machers who I know consult reliable rabbanim.

happysmile1

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 9:41 am
My views on the modesty of the wigs have nothing to do with this issue- besides my reading about the info because of my interest in the mitzvah of kisui rosh.

The avoda zora issue has nothing to do with the issue of the modesty of todays wigs and as someone posted before the two issues shouldnt be mixed. It happens to be that women who are interested in the tznius aspect of kisui rosh will naturally take an interest in all aspects of kisui rosh

I did listen to the headlines show and thought that there was concerning info there as did many others even though the show was clearly trying to only support one view - Headlines is not a halachic psak and shouldnt be taken as such (and they never claim to be- its meant to start a dicussion on hot topics). Rav Shternbuch is a current Gadol Hador who recently actually sent a shliach to India and heavily researched the human hair industry. I am not stating women have to take their wigs off- but they might be interested in knowing what is going on, especially as we wear wigs every second of the day so whats on our heads is important.

Did you read the Ami article (Shavuos) about this topic? There is clearly new info that is of concern - hence the new research in to the issue again. What I say is unimportant- what the Rabbanim and Gedolim that currently are looking in to the issue say is whats relevant. If new info has emerged (which seems to be the case) than a new psak is needed

kiryat sefer

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 9:42 am
CDL wrote:

Bobov holds that Indian hair is not a problem

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jun 17 2018, 9:45 am
Rabbi Belsky did extensive research into this issue, and he paskened that the hair is ok. Rabbi Belsky, besides for being a tzadik and talmid chochom, was an extremely brilliant man who was extremely knowledgeable. I feel very comfortable relying on his psak.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels