Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
If you and Dh drive
Previous  1  2

Do you both have a car?
Yes  
 70%  [ 120 ]
No  
 29%  [ 50 ]
Total Votes : 170

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 9:47 pm
Neither of us have cars or know how to drive.

LiLIsraeli

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 6:06 am
Yes. We both commute to work, and though DH takes public transportation part of the way, he needs to drive to the bus/train.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 6:59 am
amother wrote:
Brooklyn consists of 76 square miles. Plenty of space for many different neighborhoods and different behavioral patterns.

Most of Brooklyn has more buses and train stations than parking spots. Of course there are going to be some people who have big driveways and/or a real need for two cars, but it's going to be much less of a thing than "out of town."

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 7:07 am
seeker wrote:
Most of Brooklyn has more buses and train stations than parking spots. Of course there are going to be some people who have big driveways and/or a real need for two cars, but it's going to be much less of a thing than "out of town."

I agree with you. I was just pointing out to the other poster that Brooklyn is very large and consists of multiple neighborhoods, so her personal circle may not be the true representative of the community. It annoys me greatly when people use their own personal anecdotal evidence in an attempt to try to disprove another poster's statement. I.e. "Hey, I don't know anyone like that, so that it itself makes your statement not true."

Chloe22

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 10:00 am
When my husband worked, we had 2 cars as he worked evenings, Sundays. Once he retired, we went down to 1 car. I take public transportation to work.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 10:18 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
True, but almost everyone I know in Brooklyn has two cars. You just manage.

When I lived in Brooklyn, at one point we had one car, and at one point we got rid of it and had zero cars. Between the hassle of parking and the cost of car insurance and parking tickets (if you live in Brooklyn you know what I mean) we decided it was cheaper to use car service as needed, and I walked wherever I could.

As someone earlier mentioned, Brooklyn is big. I obviously didn't live in mommy3b2c's neighborhood LOL .

MrsDash

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 10:28 am
Like many have mentioned, location makes a huge impact on whether one needs a car. We have 2 cars, both used (previously owned), both paid off, and insurance is dirt cheap where I live. My work requires me to be at several places in a single day. I couldn’t survive without my old girl, (a 2002 Honda, and drives like a dream!)

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 10:36 am
We didn't have a car in Brooklyn for more than 10 years. Only recently did we get 1 car. We're both drivers but I don't use the car in Brooklyn as it's too fierce and I'm able to get around without it.

saw50st8

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 10:23 am
Yes. My husband uses his for work and I need a car to pick up my kids in the afternoon.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 3:35 pm
We live in a suburban area where most families have 2 cars but we only have 1. DH takes the train to work and either gets a ride to the station or takes a cab. I'm a SAHM/WAHM so I keep our minivan for carpool and local errands unless I'm really really sure I won't need the car for the day. We make it work although sometimes it would be much more convenient to have a second car on weekends when we're pulled in multiple directions.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 4:16 pm
amother wrote:
I've been living in Brooklyn for 40 years and only know about five families who have two cars.

I guess we know different people.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 4:45 pm
We have been married for almost twenty five years and how many cars we had has depended on work schedules etc. My husband takes s train to work currently but drives to the station. I have a van I use for work often. When we both worked together we really only drive one car but didn’t get rid of it because if we needed another, we would have been sorry not to have it. It’s paid for and off the road it didn’t cost that much.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics