Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What is more per month daycamp tuition or roughly the same
1  2  Next

What is more expensive- daycamp or tuition?
Daycamp  
 48%  [ 52 ]
Tuition  
 34%  [ 37 ]
Pretty much the same  
 17%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 108

amother
White

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 10:43 am
What costs you more per month, daycamp tuition or roughly the same? I live in flatbush and find th daycamp are roughly the same as my monthly tuition during the school year.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 10:48 am
I sent my child to the local religious public school where I live in Israel. A three week camp is a bit less than 1000 shekels.
The YEARLY school fees are just slightly higher than that. So camp is more expensive here than school.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 10:59 am
its apples and oranges.
most schools are non-for-profit, and are partially funded by donors (or gov't in Israel).
most camps are for profit (and the owner wouldn't bother with the headache unless making a nice amount of money in a short period of time). No donors.

amother
White

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 11:07 am
amother wrote:
its apples and oranges.
most schools are non-for-profit, and are partially funded by donors (or gov't in Israel).
most camps are for profit (and the owner wouldn't bother with the headache unless making a nice amount of money in a short period of time). No donors.

Most camps by me are out of schools. Full tuition for school per month is higher than full tuition for camp per month but it is easier to get a break for school then for camp...

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 11:17 am
I pay 12 months of tuition plus camp....

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 6:13 pm
flowerpower wrote:

Are your kids in school during the summer? If not, then they are actually doing you a favor by letting you pay over 12 months.

cnc

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 6:29 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Are your kids in school during the summer? If not, then they are actually doing you a favor by letting you pay over 12 months.

In the chassidish schools, tuition is charged like that.
The breakdown on my contract is X monthly tuition multiplied by 12 (or 13 in a leap year) months.
I personally calculate my 12 or 13 months charges and divide it over 10 months because day camp is an additional expense.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:03 pm
cnc wrote:
In the chassidish schools, tuition is charged like that.
The breakdown on my contract is X monthly tuition multiplied by 12 (or 13 in a leap year) months.
I personally calculate my 12 or 13 months charges and divide it over 10 months because day camp is an additional expense.

It’s totally fine to charge like that. I think there are many schools that allow that. But you are not paying 12 months tuition. You are paying for 10 months over a 12 month period. It’s done to make it easier on the parents, not harder.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:45 pm
Jewish day camps in my area are all not-for-profit. Camp is a little higher than school per month. They charge less if you sign up very early for the next summer.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 7:55 pm
amother wrote:
Jewish day camps in my area are all not-for-profit. Camp is a little higher than school per month. They charge less if you sign up very early for the next summer.

Curious - are they run by the schools? Shuls?

amother
White

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 8:55 pm
flowerpower wrote:

Of course your daycamp comes out higher then your tuition then! You would have to take your tuition and divide it by ten and then see what is higher...camp or tuition

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 9:11 pm
My day camp is 600 for my preschooler, 600-700 for my elementary age kids, tuition is 700 for preschool 1,100 for elementary school paid monthly for 10 months.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jul 08 2018, 9:39 pm
amother wrote:
Curious - are they run by the schools? Shuls?

Shuls, schools, Chabad, Y and JCC type organizations...

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 2:35 am
Luckily I can still send to backyard type camps since my eldest is young, so no trips or major activities. So camp is less than school but also is for fewer hours. When I will have to send to an official camp, camp will be more for fewer hours than school. And some have fewer hours than the backyard camp!!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 7:00 am
I couldn't vote. My usual camp is 10/12 eu a day. But it's close this year and I send to a Gan Israel, a bit fancy, it's 30 euros a day. That changes my answer.

Shendellah

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
Luckily I can still send to backyard type camps since my eldest is young, so no trips or major activities. So camp is less than school but also is for fewer hours. When I will have to send to an official camp, camp will be more for fewer hours than school. And some have fewer hours than the backyard camp!!

That's a good point! The summer camp that is associated with my children's school are for fewer hours 9:30-3:30pm than the normal school hours 8-4pm. I believe this camp is cheaper than tuition but I cant do those hours so I send my kids to a camp from 8-6pm and of course it is a lot more $$$. (I only need to send for a few weeks since my husband is mostly home for the summer and my mom can also help out... but it happens to also be a great camp with a pool and lots of fun trips!)

supty

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 11:15 am
Tuition is $1,300/month and daycamp is about $1,300 for the whole summer, so tuition is definitely more.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 2:13 pm
My health insurance pays for daycamp. I only pay a small part Thumbs Up

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 2:15 pm
tuition is 700 shekel a year
and camp is 1600 for a month

Maya

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 2:32 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
It’s totally fine to charge like that. I think there are many schools that allow that. But you are not paying 12 months tuition. You are paying for 10 months over a 12 month period. It’s done to make it easier on the parents, not harder.

No. In the schools that I know, it’s per month, charged for twelve months, with an additional month’s charges for a leap year. The per monthly fee is not smaller during a leap year.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics