Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Son going to dorm
1  2  Next

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 6:07 pm
This is the first time I'm sending a child away to dorm. He is going to bais medrash in lakewood.
What do I need to send with him??

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 6:18 pm
Following! Thanks for posting!

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 6:25 pm
Do you live locally? That would make a difference. I would also ask the yeshiva what they suggest. Linen, pillows, blankets, towels, clothing, toiletries, seforim, shoes. My son's dorm has minimal furniture, so he brought one of those 3 drawer sterilite things. Light jacket for the fall assuming he'll be home before winter to get his winter coat.

Laundry bag, can he do his own laundry there? If yes detergent and a few lessons on how to do laundry if he doesn't already know. Bathrobe, slippers, shower caddy.

I find my son gets hungry again when he gets back from night seder. So some snack foods that he enjoys. Find out if there's a fridge so he can bring some refrigerated items. Drinks.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 6:34 pm
Not really different than camp.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 6:45 pm
Notsobusy wrote:

I find my son gets hungry again when he gets back from night seder. So some snack foods that he enjoys. Find out if there's a fridge so he can bring some refrigerated items. Drinks.

There is only one refrig per floor with very little space for each bochur . My husband daverns minha in the dorm occassionally. He told me most of the boys eat out.

There are a lot of restaurants nearby. Aisle 9 is a block away..

Ironically, its the poor avreichim that eat in yeshiva and bring snacks with them from home. Most of the bochurim have money to eat out..

You are probably better off giving him spending money, than food that will just spoil or get wasted

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 6:47 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
There is only one refrig per floor with very little space for each bochur . My husband daverns minha in the dorm occassionally. He told me most of the boys eat out.

There are a lot of restaurants nearby. Aisle 9 is a block away..

Ironically, its the poor avreichim that eat in yeshiva and bring snacks with them from home. Most of the bochurim have money to eat out..

You are probably better off giving him spending money, than food that will just spoil or get wasted

She didn't say it's BMG, there are so many bais medrash with dorms in Lakewood these days, so who knows which one it is?

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 6:50 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
She didn't say it's BMG, there are so many bais medrash with dorms in Lakewood these days, so who knows which one it is?

You have a point.. I just scanned by fast and saw Beis Medr Lakewood

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 6:52 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
You have a point.. I just scanned by fast and saw Beis Medr Lakewood

I know, I think people automatically think BMG, unless they have a son in a different local bais medrash, like me.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 8:12 pm
My sons take clothing, toiletries, some snacks and money.

One thing I've learned after all these years. Send a sweater and coat when they pack up in Ellul. It can get cold in the evenings by the next month, even though it's hard to imagine that in August.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jul 29 2018, 11:00 pm
Its not bmg. I know there is a grocery about a mile away but dont know if they go off grounds. I also dont have a clue how much spending $ to send.
I dont live in lakewood but I think after succos he will come home every 4 weeks for shabbos.
I have no clue how much clothes to send.

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 12:26 am
amother wrote:
Its not bmg. I know there is a grocery about a mile away but dont know if they go off grounds. I also dont have a clue how much spending $ to send.
I dont live in lakewood but I think after succos he will come home every 4 weeks for shabbos.
I have no clue how much clothes to send.

I think most, if not all, batei medroshim in Lakewood let them go off grounds.

As far as how much clothing to send, it really depends on your son. Is he the type to actually do his own laundry? If yes, he probably needs enough clothing for a week or 10 days. If not, he needs 4 weeks' worth.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 6:41 am
clothing. toiletries etc
cell phone (my sons dorm only allows dumb phones)
mp3 player
overnight bag or small suitcase if he is coming home for shabbos often.

For money it makes sense to open him a bank account with a debit card and you can transfer him money when needed.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jul 30 2018, 4:05 pm
I send my son to a yeshiva dorm-Bais Medrash, younger than BMG.

Here is what he took:
underwear and socks for 10-14 days.
8-10 weekday shirts plus 2 Shabbos shirts.
2-3 pairs of weekday pants besides what he was wearing.
Shabbos hat in hat box
Shabbos suit
2 pairs of pj's
Terry robe
3-4 towels
slippers/crocs
Shabbos shoes
Shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothbrush/paste (enough till he can restock when he comes home)
Laundry detergent. (He also took a pre-laundry destainer for his shirts)
Laundry bag
Hat brush and shoe polish kit.

He did not take any food, but there is a grocey 2 blocks from his dorm, so I guess he used it when he needed it.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 12:21 pm
My son and I just made his packing list so I figured I would post it here for anyone who needs it. He is going into 3rd year Beis Medrash in a small yeshiva in Lakewood and we live OOT, so we have have some experience with this. This is a combo shopping/packing list, so some of the stuff he does not need to pack since he's wearing it, but I listed anyway so that there is a comprehensive list because some things still need to be purchased.

Weekday shirts (6)
Weekday pants (3)
Weekday Belt
Weekday Tzitzis
Davening jacket
Weekday Hat
Undershirts (10)
Underwear (10)
Socks (10)
Long pajama pants (his yeshiva does not allow shorts)
Bath Robe
Sweatshirt
Raincoat/Shaina Coat

Shabbos shirts (2)
Shabbos suit
Cufflinks
Ties
Shabbos Hat
Shabbos Belt
Shabbos Tzitzis

Weekday shoes
Sneakers (for excersizing)
Shabbos shoes
Crocs (for the dorm and for Yom Kippur)

Tefillin
Sefarim
Machzorim for RH and YK

Sheets
Pillows
Blanket
Foam mattress topper (really helps make the flimsy form mattress more comfortable)

Bath Towels (2)
Hand Towels (2)

Hand soap (he's one of my hygenic children and there is a serious lack of soap in yeshiva)
Bath soap
Shampoo
Deodorant
Toothbrush
Toothbrush holder
Mouthwash
Motrin
Box of Tissues
Cough drops
Comb
Hat Brush
Nail clipper
Shower caddy
Small toiletry bag to store stuff

Laundry bag
Detergent
Dryer Sheets

Cell Phone
Phone charger
Clip-on fan
Alarm Clock
Hooks for the back of his closet door
Ipod (music only - no video access)
ipod charger
Sharpie marker to label things
School supplies: pens, pencils, binder, paper

Small suitcase/bag for him to travel on an Off Shabbos (the camp duffel with all his stuff stays in yeshiva for the year, but he needs to take something for traveling in between)

Snacks - pretzels, granola bars, nuts, oatmeal packets...

Cash for laundry
Debit card for other purchases

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 1:16 pm
Nail clippers

pop up laundry basket

Flashlight

Alarm clock (BBB sells an inexpensive one with USB ports)

First aid kit including bandages, neosporin, tweezers, advil/tylenol/whatever-he-uses, Tums, Imodium, antiseptic wipes, scissors, safety pin

keym

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 2:03 pm
Remember yomim noraim. Machzorim, selichos, crocs.
Pens, notebooks,
Alarm clock
Extra batteries
Scotch tape (my bm brothers were always taking mine.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 3:03 pm
Do boys not bring shavers?

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 3:04 pm
Yes, they do. Thanks for reminding me! Adding to list.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 3:20 pm
amother wrote:
My son and I just made his packing list so I figured I would post it here for anyone who needs it. He is going into 3rd year Beis Medrash In a small yeshiva in Lakewood and we live OOT, so we have have some experience with this. This is a combo shopping/packing list, so some of the stuff he does not need to pack since he's wearing it, but I listed anyway so that there is a comprehensive list because some things still need to be purchased.

Weekday shirts (6)
Weekday pants (3)
Weekday Belt
Weekday Tzitzis
Davening jacket
Weekday Hat
Undershirts (10)
Underwear (10)
Socks (10)
Long pajama pants (his yeshiva does not allow shorts)
Bath Robe
Sweatshirt
Raincoat/Shaina Coat

Shabbos shirts (2)
Shabbos suit
Cufflinks
Ties
Shabbos Hat
Shabbos Belt
Shabbos Tzitzis

Weekday shoes
Sneakers (for excersizing)
Shabbos shoes
Crocs (for the dorm and for Yom Kippur)

Tefillin
Sefarim
Machzorim for RH and YK

Sheets
Pillows
Blanket
Foam mattress topper (really helps make the flimsy form mattress more comfortable)

Bath Towels (2)
Hand Towels (2)

Hand soap (he's one of my hygenic children and there is a serious lack of soap in yeshiva)
Bath soap
Shampoo
Deodorant
Toothbrush
Toothbrush holder
Mouthwash
Motrin
Box of Tissues
Cough drops
Comb
Hat Brush
Nail clipper
Shower caddy
Small toiletry bag to store stuff

Laundry bag
Detergent
Dryer Sheets

Cell Phone
Phone charger
Clip-on fan
Alarm Clock
Hooks for the back of his closet door
Ipod (music only - no video access)
ipod charger
Sharpie marker to label things
School supplies: pens, pencils, binder, paper

Small suitcase/bag for him to travel on an Off Shabbos (the camp duffel with all his stuff stays in yeshiva for the year, but he needs to take something for traveling in between)

Snacks - pretzels, granola bars, nuts, oatmeal packets...

Cash for laundry
Debit card for other purchases

Excuse me for going OT here..
But 3rd Year BM is what 21 years old...

21 and you are still treating him like a little yingl going to camp.. How is he supposed to get married in the next year or so..

My son is 22 and living and working in Israel, fully self-sufficient...
I am only saying this, because I see way too many threads on the SB forums, where the wife is really suffering. Often, the main problem is that he wasn't mature enough to get married...

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Aug 08 2018, 3:31 pm
In response to the previous poster - my son is 19, almost 20. He is completely independent and drives, does his own laundry, packing, etc. (he even cooks!). The only reason we made a list together is that he has about 1 hour in between coming home from camp and leaving for yeshiva, so I offered to do his shopping for him ahead of time. He would have been fine taking care of it all in Lakewood himself, but I know that would cost me a lot more (especially toiletries and other stuff I can get at Walmart), so I prefer to do it here and that's why we spoke over the phone from camp and made the list, which I added to when I posted online so that I would have a master list on my computer for future reference.

This year is unusual because Rosh Chodesh Elul is so early and he is in fact leaving camp before it is over, but it did not make sense for him to miss out on a lucrative summer job just so that he can get himself ready for yeshiva without his mother's help.

I think you made a lot of assumptions without having the full picture. I am confident my son will make an excellent husband one day.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics