Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
If you don't allow any screen time whatsoever
1  2  3  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:21 am
Please only respond if you don't allow your kids any screen time at all. And please be kind to me. I mean no uncle moishy or anything.
This is our shitta for now. Kids are still young. Anyway, I feel like it's hard on me to have to keep my kids entertained all the time. Any support would be greatly appreciated.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:25 am
You don't have to entertain your kids. You have to teach them to entertain themselves. How old are they?

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:26 am
Preference: I am not a mother and I respect your choice 100%

Question: how young are your kids? There are many crafts and activities that require less direct supervision and entertain, if that's what is hard.

Example: 27 Creative And Inexpensive Ways To Keep Kids Busy This Summer https://www.buzzfeed.com/alann.....A4mNG

But if this is the wrong age group, I can try to help find more

OutATowner

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:28 am
First of all, kol hakavod. While it's not my shitta, I greatly respect you for it.
I know someone who listens to the stories of wonder words, the Chofetz Chaim hotline for kids.
Rabbi Juravel CDs. My kids like listening to them as they color.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:30 am
When you say shittah that implies a religious preference but actually APA doesn't recommend any screen time under 2 years old so there may be many who are in your boat even if they do t for different reason

Last edited by pesek zman on Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:31 am
I wish you hatzlacha. I can't imagine how I would manage technology and kids now.
Back in the day, we got story tapes out of the library. And bought music and story CDs. Lots of books from the library too.
And I garage sailed and had lots of stuff to take out for the kids over the summer, through yom tov.
We went to parks a few times a week. Chalk. Bubbles. Pool. If I'd have bought stock in freeze pops back then I'd be rich now Very Happy

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:34 am
While I do allow screen time we do very little during the school year like it's a treat . I find when you don't do screen time it = more mess my kids do lots of crafts and play toys we also end up doing a lot of playdates. Getting your kids a CD player with story CDs it's also helpful they listen to music and story's while they play. My kids are older so we do have hw and test to study for . Also lots of outdoor time in the nice weather.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:36 am
pesek zman wrote:
When you say shittah that implies a religious preference but actually APA doesn't recommend any screw time under 2 years old so there may be many who are in your boat even if they do t for different reason

Yes I find my kids sleep better and are happier when we just don't watch they get all upset to turn it off then can't sleep I do allow more in the summer then school year and we do movie night once in a while but to much screen time is not good for them

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:38 am
The only time I allow is Friday afternoon; the rest of the time I put on music or stories, rotate toys, play dough, other crafts/activities, park...

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:40 am
as stated up thread you need to teach them to self entertain. I find it's harder for kids who are used to be school. Don't know ages of your kids but my 4 year loves to look at books while my 8 year old reads. My 4 year old likes playing with a dollhouse, while my 8 year old will put a bear in the carriage and play house...crafts entertain them but make a mess...do a dots go over well.
some games like sorry they can play together...
age appropriate puzzles
they also make lots of noise- like they were just running around screaming their heads off, pretending they were making cheers up.
there are one person games like rush hour my 4 year old was able to do some when she was only 3.... do you have a backyard- outdoor play is great.

simcha2

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:47 am
We don't allow any screen time until age 5. (Not a religious decision, a developmental one). It generally means being comfortable with having a mess in the house. My kids favorite thing is the paper recycling, they use it to make all kinds of things. We use a lot of foil, tape and glue!

BH5745

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:47 am
Our kids ages have no screentime whatsoever. They play with magnet tiles, toy trucks and trains, color with oil pastels, read books, play with legos, jump rope, we go on walks, go to the park, bake something together, make crafts, make their own headbands, ride their toy cars and etc. There is so much to do I think they would be bored watching videos.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:50 am
My kids love story tapes. They listen to them all the time.

Ages 2-6
Rebbee Hill - Junior tapes are cute for smaller children
Shmuel Kunda - When Zaidy was Young, Baruch makes Brachos etc. etc.
Uncle Moishy - siddur tape is cute and also music
Abie Rottenberg has a few cute tapes - The golden Crown and others
Marvelous Middos Machine tapes
613 Torah Ave
Country Yossi - Kivi and Tuki

Ages 6-10
Rebbee Hill
Rabbi Juravel
Rav Fishel Schachter
Yitzy Erps
The Raviner Miracle - Rabbi Serebrowski
Shemiras Halashon Tapes - girls

Raisin

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:51 am
When my kids were very small I didn't really allow much screen time (not as strict now, also tablets etc just didn't exist fifteen years ago)

I don't remember how I survived but I did. I took them out every day to the park or the library or the shop or wherever. They are all big readers.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:54 am
OP here
Wow thanks for all the responses. I was sure I would get bashed so thank u everyone!
Kids are 4 and under. They do entertain themselves pretty nicely for their ages. It's just the times when it would be the easy way out, like when I'm getting ready to go out or early in the morning or when we come back from an outing and I need a few minutes to myself....
They do listen to tapes all the time.
I think I'm on a low about it because right now I'm around ppl who do it often and it looks so easy so my convictions are dwindling. But my husband is helping me too.
Thanks again guys.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:
OP here
Wow thanks for all the responses. I was sure I would get bashed so thank u everyone!
Kids are 4 and under. They do entertain themselves pretty nicely for their ages. It's just the times when it would be the easy way out, like when I'm getting ready to go out or early in the morning or when we come back from an outing and I need a few minutes to myself....
I think I'm on a low about it because right now I'm around ppl who do it often and it looks so easy so my convictions are dwindling. But my husband is helping me too.
Thanks again guys.

August is hard.
It's when I took out comic book anthologies and humor books from the library and read them in the backyard with the kids in the pool.
Hang in there!

BH5745

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
OP here
Thanks again guys.

Magnet tiles, toy "menschies" and toy animal figures are your best friend. Small kids can build with them very easily and stay entertained for hours. Mine get so creative when combining these toys to make things like chuppahs, farms, schools, shuls and delivery trucks bringing food to stores even. I'm amazed at what 2 and 3 year olds can come up with when you give them a magnet tile building set and toy people and animal figures.

Aylat

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:
OP here
Thanks again guys.

Good for you, I think you're 100% right.

(Not bashing those whose kids have screen time. I'm a strong believer in doing what works for your family.)

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 1:13 pm
I almost never allow screen time. Like maybe once every few months or so. So, basically my kids play with toys (it's a mess;)) make arts and crafts and play with the neighbors ALOT. Like most of the afternoon is spent back and forth at each other's houses.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 1:28 pm
We do no screen time. We don't have anything to watch on so there is no screen time.
My computer belongs to work so kids can't watch on there (and it has no sound). My DH doesn't have a CD or DVD player on his laptop.
(Disclaimer - my daughter was recently hospitalized for her a few days and I did let her watch then).

I don't find I entertain them a ton to compensate. They are in school or camp during the day so that helps.

My boys spend a lot of time outside playing sports, biking, running around, building tree houses.
Girls also play ball, jump rope, Chinese jump rope, ride bikes. My girls also spend a lot of time coloring. They like adult coloring books and nice markers, pencils, and crayons.
Babies have toys to keep busy.
They help me clean up in the evening - put away dumped stuff on dining room table, couch, floor, etc.
During the school year kids have homework in the evening.
In the summer I have a summer homework program that also keeps us busy in the evenings with weekly prizes.
Unfortunately they don't like to read a lot (that is part of our summer program).
My boys are 12 and 10 and the oldest so when they are up later then everyone else and board I'll often let them bake desserts for me and then they have to clean up after themselves and wash dishes. They are also happy peeling vegetables sometimes.

ETA: I see now your kids are younger then most of mine (although I do have in the under 4 category). I think when you don't have it then it just isn't an issue. I think its harder when it is an option and you sometimes say no.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics