Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
A very merry x-mas contest?
Previous  1  2

mummiedearest

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:47 pm
well, the horn thing happens in ny occasionally, too. more often, though, we are stopped by jews for j esus on the street and handed pamphlets with hebrew writing. they want to "save" us.

Cupcake

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:53 pm
I live in a rural, VERY Catholic area...and let me tell you. There are MANY people out there who think I am going straight to hell...our secretary at work is one of them. I have been asked if Jews pray, been told I am being uncooperative (!) when I freak because we have a x-mas party for our board, been made fun of for the way I eat, it goes on and on. REALLY ignorant, unwilling to be enlightened people who think if you're not Christian, you have sold your soul.

I get it every single day.

Cupcake

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 10:24 pm
In spite of everything I've encountered, I personally believe that people are people, and no matter where you go, the same personalities exist in any given group, be it a school setting, a company, a neighborhood, even a website community! You have (in no particular order) those who assimilate, those who'll argue with a fencepost, those who will give anyone a chance, those who fear anything or one unfamiliar, those who eagerly approach the unfamiliar, those who are quick to judge, those who just live and let live, etc...

Overall, most of the non jews I grew up with were good, hard-working, not overly-religious people who pretty much lived and let live. I have had some friendships that span 30+ years with some of my former school mates, even though I no longer live closeby. Those were the friends whose families were the types to accept anyone they deemed a good person...I think if it had been Nazi Europe, these were the families that would've risked it all for us.

mimivan

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:
bashinda wrote:
There definitely are people who think Jews have horns as I've met way too many people who've been asked where their horns are.

Where?

What's the problem? I always show people mine! Twisted Evil

mimivan

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 10:34 pm
greenfire wrote:
me me me ... so what do we dress as ?! a giant dreidel ... me me me

Reminds me of a story I heard about a little girl with a Jewish mother and a non-Jewish father...they decided, of course, they were going to so the X-mas thing and all that.

Anyway, they put the little girl on Santa's lap and he asked "What do you want for X-mas little girl?"

and she answered "Chanukah!"

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 10:42 pm
Cute! Wink

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 7:21 am
I do know frum Jews who take pics with Santa "because it's fun", but only the not frum have a Xmas tree I think.

Starhavah

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 10:01 am
mimivan wrote:

Reminds me of a story I heard about a little girl with a Jewish mother and a non-Jewish father...they decided, of course, they were going to so the X-mas thing and all that.

Anyway, they put the little girl on Santa's lap and he asked "What do you want for X-mas little girl?"

and she answered "Chanukah!"

I Love it!!

Even though both of my parents are Jewish and we never celebrated any Xian holidays, I grew up in a very assimilated home and if we asked my mother would let us sit in Santa's lap at the mall; but she would not buy the photos or pay any money.

Anyway, my sister used to love to freak out the Santa by waiting her turn, climbing in his lap and calmly expaining she never had a Xmas gift in her life. "Santa" was always shocked. No Xmas gifts...ever?!?! "Nope," my sister would say, "none, ever." Santa would never know how to respond, it never occurred to them that we simply weren't Xian and viewed mall Santas as a big joke. They always wanted to do something special for my sister, because they felt so sorry for her.

Star Havah

Starhavah

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 10:05 am
greenfire wrote:
me me me ... so what do we dress as ?! a giant dreidel ... me me me

Greenfire, I knew there was a reason I liked you. Very Happy

Star Havah
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics