Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What Percentage of income is tuition?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 5:31 pm
Forget about how many kids and how much per child, just curious what percentage do Parents actually pay after any scholarships, discounts etc.

This year. for the first time ever, my tuition is only 20 percent of my income, it's never been this low.
My tuition is lower as less kids in school, employee discount and my household income is higher now BH, but for many years, we were paying half our income and our income was lower, was. really tough.

MY total tuition for this year is 22,000 and income 110,000

22,000/110,000=20 percent.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 5:36 pm
I know you didn't mean me, but for us it's 0%. One of us is employed in the school and we get free tuition (and probably because of that, lower salary). If not for this - we would not survive financially. Any time a job switch comes up for discussion, the realities of paying tuition do away with any further talk on the topic.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 5:49 pm
My tuition bill last year was 80% of our combined take home pay. And yes, my parents helped us out - there was no other way, and not because we wanted it that way... I recently went back to school to change career paths because, well, this is completely unsustainable...

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 6:05 pm
amother wrote:
I know you didn't mean me, but for us it's 0%. One of us is employed in the school and we get free tuition (and probably because of that, lower salary). If not for this - we would not survive financially. Any time a job switch comes up for discussion, the realities of paying tuition do away with any further talk on the topic.

That's great then, in our kids school, employees get 40 percent discount. It keeps us in the school, but 100% would make me stay no matter what!

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 6:07 pm
amother wrote:
My tuition bill last year was 80% of our combined take home pay. And yes, my parents helped us out - there was no other way, and not because we wanted it that way... I recently went back to school to change career paths because, well, this is completely unsustainable...

I've been there, no family help, so we just couldn't pay it, eventually as things have improved, we're slowly paying up.
This is unsustainable, this is a major issue.
Schools need to look at he whole situation, it's not possible to have almost entire salary paying tuition!!

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 6:13 pm
Income makes a big difference in how much the percentage hurts. 20% of 200 is a lot different than 20% of 50.
We are now paying about 25% of 80. It's a lot.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 6:33 pm
Gross or net income?

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 6:35 pm
Less than 10%
But we only have two children and send to school in Lakewood. And get what we pay for in the education department. Confused

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:
Income makes a big difference in how much the percentage hurts. 20% of 200 is a lot different than 20% of 50.
We are now paying about 25% of 80. It's a lot.

True to a certain degree

If a family is on Food stamps, medicaid, wic, possibly section 8 and vouchers or some even on cash assistance, plus huge tax refunds, even with low income, they have less overall expenses. They usually get a bigger tuition break.

I may be wrong, but I feel the families that don't qualify for assistance, usually don't qualify for tuition breaks and have way bigger bills than they can actually pay.
I'm talking about people who are working on the books and report their income.

The ones who don't are a whole different parshah!

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 6:39 pm
amother wrote:
Less than 10%
But we only have two children and send to school in Lakewood. And get what we pay for in the education department. Confused

Maybe I should move to Lakewood!!!
But then again it seems that getting kids into schools is not easy!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 6:39 pm
amother wrote:
Forget about how many kids and how much per child, just curious what percentage do Parents actually pay after any scholarships, discounts etc.

This year. for the first time ever, my tuition is only 20 percent of my income, it's never been this low.
My tuition is lower as less kids in school, employee discount and my household income is higher now BH, but for many years, we were paying half our income and our income was lower, was. really tough.

MY total tuition for this year is 22,000 and income 110,000

22,000/110,000=20 percent.

My costs are more than 50% of our income and I have no idea how I'll be paying it. Something has got to be done about this unsustainable lifestyle we've set up.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 6:41 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe I should move to Lakewood!!!
But then again it seems that getting kids into schools is not easy!

I don’t know where you live. But, at least for the boys, the education is terrible.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 6:55 pm
More than 50% of my income. There were times where our fridge was empty of food and the school sent my kids home because we were behind in tuition.
Baruch HaShem we earn a lot more now but have more kids and the older they get the higher the tuition gets. We live paycheck to paycheck and have zero in savings... it's not possible. DH just opened a business to see if he can earn more since before we turn around in a few years my kids will iy"h be getting married ....Right now we are doing our hishtadlus. We are paying the tuitions and the rest is up to HaShem to help us out under these circumstances. I may live very frugally but at least we have the tuition, home and food we need.
What's really frusterating is when after all the tuition is worked out , the Rebbes send home lists of specific chumashim. Suddurim, Gemarahs etc they want each kid to have. Every year it's different. So we can have 25 chumashim but that doesn't help since the rebbe wants a different one. My DH spent another $500 on seforim the other day just to adhere to the Rebbes request. That $500 is two weeks of our groceries.

giselle

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 7:04 pm
amother wrote:
Something has got to be done about this unsustainable lifestyle we've set up.

Yes. Not just with tuition. I feel like it’s all going to implode. And social media is only making it worse. But I digress.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Aug 17 2018, 7:15 pm
giselle wrote:
Yes. Not just with tuition. I feel like it’s all going to implode. And social media is only making it worse. But I digress.

I wish it would implode already! This way something would actually have to be done about it. I am so tired of always living under stress, its literally killing me!

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 8:56 pm
5%
Joint net Income 200k. Tuition for 2 boys 10k.
Brooklyn

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 9:34 pm
10% of income. $30,000.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 9:56 pm
15% of 85k

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 10:07 pm
fuschia amother- how much is full tuition in your school? Giving free tuition for all teachers children's seems like a lot....

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Aug 18 2018, 11:57 pm
16000 total for three kids in flatbush schools. Gross combined income is 96k. Tuition is 17 percent of our gross income.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics