Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What Percentage of income is tuition?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 12:05 am
Yeshiva online homeschool
Melamed Academy

https://melamedacademy.com/

$2,500 year

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 12:32 am
20% of 140K in California.
Our mortgage is 40% though.
It's tough.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 12:41 am
Close to 50 % of net income, we net 109,000, and pay 49800 in tuition ( 150,000 gross) , Brooklyn, 3 kids

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 1:23 am
0%
Rebbe-Morah couples at our school don't pay tuition at all. Any other employees go through the T.A. system like everyone else.

supty

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 3:07 am
About 15% for two small kids

Aylat

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 4:48 am
Israel, 4 kids in elementary. Approx 3%.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 6:01 am
What they were asking last year: 35%
What we are paying this year: 20%

Question: What should be a reasonable percentage? (I.e. the way mortgage companies give a ballpark "no more than a 1/3 of your income for housing" number)

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 6:16 am
amother wrote:
Yeshiva online homeschool
Melamed Academy

https://melamedacademy.com/

$2,500 year

Off topic but what is it like? How does it work? Can you do just 1subject?

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 8:19 am
amother wrote:
What they were asking last year: 35%
What we are paying this year: 20%

Question: What should be a reasonable percentage? (I.e. the way mortgage companies give a ballpark "no more than a 1/3 of your income for housing" number)

This is a good idea theory!
I feel that tuition in most cases has become such a burden that many don't actually remember that Parents are supposed to pay Schar Limud, plus obligations of the community as a whole to set up proper schools.

Paying more than one can afford doesn't work, people have a need to eat at times too.

Just some thoughts:
1. Communities should put supporting Moisdois as priority
2. Parents to feel an obligation to pay what they can reasonably afford and not look for a good deal
3. School administrators looking at families as a whole, what they can realistically afford

The idea that Schools are a community obligation and families should continue to support schools after their kids have left as they are probably a better position then

I believe many families have been bullied by schools to pay unrealistic tuitions and this causes us to lose sight of what the goal actually is

Tuition is a hot topic this week!

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 8:22 am
pink amother- I'll ask you the same question- how much is full tuition for your school?

WhatFor

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 8:24 am
To those who are saying "free" because one of you works there, I don't think "free" is entirely accurate, unless the one working there is making 100% of their earning potential in addition to children's tuition.

Otherwise, you are "paying" for your kids' tuition, even if in a non-conventional way.

keym

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 8:37 am
WhatFor wrote:
To those who are saying "free" because one of you works there, I don't think "free" is entirely accurate, unless the one working there is making 100% of their earning potential in addition to children's tuition.

Otherwise, you are "paying" for your kids' tuition, even if in a non-conventional way.

I agree. At least I think.

It seems to me, you're saying a rebbe making 30k a year plus 3 kids tuition (valued at 8k a year) is really making 54k a year but take home pay is much much less. And as a side benefit, that rebbe's salary is low enough to apply for WIC, HUD, Medicaid, FoodStamps, etc.

This is why I get annoyed when people complain about low teacher salaries across the board. Most teachers end up doing better than me- lower middle class 2 parents working, 90k, before taxes but 20% to tuition, 20% to rent, there's precious little left for everything else.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 8:51 am
amother wrote:
This is a good idea theory!
I feel that tuition in most cases has become such a burden that many don't actually remember that Parents are supposed to pay Schar Limud, plus obligations of the community as a whole to set up proper schools.

Paying more than one can afford doesn't work, people have a need to eat at times too.

Just some thoughts:
1. Communities should put supporting Moisdois as priority
2. Parents to feel an obligation to pay what they can reasonably afford and not look for a good deal
3. School administrators looking at families as a whole, what they can realistically afford

The idea that Schools are a community obligation and families should continue to support schools after their kids have left as they are probably a better position then

I believe many families have been bullied by schools to pay unrealistic tuitions and this causes us to lose sight of what the goal actually is

Tuition is a hot topic this week!

Parents of elementary school children generally don't have a lot of disposable income. They tend to hit their peak earning years as the kids graduate high school, which means that tzedaka goes to yeshivas rather than to elementary schools. It's nice to say that they should give to the elementary schools, but now the parents are facing higher tuitions, weddings and bar mitzvahs. It's very hard to get them to give to a school where they no longer have kids.

Tuitions are not unrealistic. They represent the cost of educating your children. Sometimes (depending on the school) tuition is set higher than costs, to offset scholarships. That also creates some wiggle room to allow for discounts.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 10:41 am
keym wrote:

It seems to me, you're saying a rebbe making 30k a year plus 3 kids tuition (valued at 8k a year) is really making 54k a year but take home pay is much much less. And as a side benefit, that rebbe's salary is low enough to apply for WIC, HUD, Medicaid, FoodStamps, etc.

This is why I get annoyed when people complain about low teacher salaries across the board. Most teachers end up doing better than me- lower middle class 2 parents working, 90k, before taxes but 20% to tuition, 20% to rent, there's precious little left for everything else.

I agree with this post 100%. And they're probably making much more than 30K.

I don't begrudge Rebbeim the money or the setup or anything, and I have a lot of hakaras hatov for everything they do (I can't even imagine walking in to a room full of boys for six hours a day!) but when people complain that the Rebbeim have it hard - yes, it's hard, but many of us in the middle class have it harder. (I had this conversation with my boys over Shabbos and the said that the hard part is that the yeshivas are often behind on the paychecks - I agree that THAT's really hard).

BTW, keym, 90K a year is not lower middle class in the secular world Confused . I agree with you that in our world it is.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 11:38 am
keym wrote:

My dh is a rebbe and he travels an hour to and from work each day so we don’t send our boys to that school and don’t get free tuition. When his employer sets the salary they do not take into account if you send kids there or not. That is a total benefit.
One of my biggest pet peeve in the frum world and this site is assuming every rebbe is on programs and dealing in cash. Dh and I combined gross is around 100k. No medicaid food stamps wic etc. we are paying for food and health insurance and tuition just like of you.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 11:39 am
Our total tuition bill is abuot 110% of our income. Yes you read that correctly. Its significantly more than our combined gross income.

So yes we are on scholarship at the three different institutions that our kids are currently attending.

Currently we are paying approx 40% of our GROSS income. That income includes estimated gifts from parents (approx $500 a year for yomtov help) and estimated tax refund of (typically) approx $3000.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:
My dh is a rebbe and he travels an hour to and from work each day so we don’t send our boys to that school and don’t get free tuition. When his employer sets the salary they do not take into account if you send kids there or not. That is a total benefit.
One of my biggest pet peeve in the frum world and this site is assuming every rebbe is on programs and dealing in cash. Dh and I combined gross is around 100k. No medicaid food stamps wic etc. we are paying for food and health insurance and tuition just like of you.

Agree 100%! I'm a teacher who works really hard at a second job, because I'd rather be self-supporting than live on programs - NOT my idea of an ideal life at all. We pay for food, health insurance, rent and the rest and we are squeezeeeeedddd.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 12:24 pm
amother wrote:
Close to 50 % of net income, we net 109,000, and pay 49800 in tuition ( 150,000 gross) , Brooklyn, 3 kids

Wow! That is a lot! Which school???

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 1:02 pm
Tuition is 29% of our gross income and childcare for our little ones is another 21% of our income.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 1:49 pm
amother wrote:

Just curious why u don't take advantage of QTR which is a totally legal way of having it husbands school pay tuition to ur children's schools. And this way, u can LEGALLY be eligible for programs. Also does ur husbands school do parsonage? That saves me thousands. My income is 130k per year, but due to parsonage and QTR we are eligible for Jerseycare for my kids
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics