Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to start a legal playgroup in ny & fast
1  2  3  Next

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 4:35 pm
I started a playgroup in a big basement studio in july, in brooklyn. I have an assistant, outdoor space, lots of toys, beautiful space, two exits. We ran it illegally (most playgroups are illegal) and someone reported us to the state as being an illegal childcare center. Now we can only have 2 kids that aren't related to us, until we become legal. We are trying to figure out what to do. We have kids that are signed up for next year & more parents that want to sign up for next year. We already watched the videos online & applied for an application to start the process of becoming a legal childcare center. The issue is that it will take approximately 2 weeks in order to receive the application book & then we would need to fill it out, get inspections etc. We were planming on starting the school year in 2 weeks, not sure what to tell the parents & can't afford to pay the rent of the basement if we won't be making any money. Can someone probmvide advice on whether it's worth it to make a legal playgroup, what's involved, is there a way I can get inspectors to come check it out & tell us what we'd need to do & whether or not our place qualifies. Also is there any possible way to speed up the process so that it doesn't take a few months? Would it be a bad idea to try to rent another place in order that we can start off the year (illegally), & then once the place gets approved switch over? Any help would be greatly appreciated🙏
Anonymous because I don't want anyone to figure me out.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 4:41 pm
I had read up on it a while ago. There were so many details involved I found it too overwhelming to figure out. I think you need an assistant for every four kids in addition to the teacher. The premises itself requires a separate bathroom, fenced in yard, etc.
I don't think this is something you can fix "overnight"

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 4:50 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I had read up on it a while ago. There were so many details involved I found it too overwhelming to figure out. I think you need an assistant for every four kids in addition to the teacher. The premises itself requires a separate bathroom, fenced in yard, etc.
I don't think this is something you can fix "overnight"

We have a bathroom, it has a changing table, toilet with a step stool & toilet seat. We have a gated outdoor area.

Cookiegirl

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 5:17 pm
Getting licensed for a legal childcare facility can be a 2 year process in NY State and NYC inspectors are pretty backed up so it can be even longer within NYC. If you really want to do this, you should start the process now, but there is really no way to shortcut it, unfortunately.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 5:40 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
Getting licensed for a legal childcare facility can be a 2 year process in NY State and NYC inspectors are pretty backed up so it can be even longer within NYC. If you really want to do this, you should start the process now, but there is really no way to shortcut it, unfortunately.

When we spoke to the inspector that came to check us out when we were reported, we asked what's the fastest, he said between 4-6 months. He said it depends on how fast you fill out your papers & send them back. Located in Brooklyn, ny. Wondering if theres anyway we'd be able to go somewhere to pick up the application book instead of waiting 2 weeks for it to come in the mail? Also if there's a way to get inspectors to come before. Also if anone can tell us what information they'll ask so that we can be prepared. Also how do you do taxes? Do you lose medicaid? Need to get workers comp etc?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 5:42 pm
Who on earth reported you?!?!

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 5:50 pm
smileforamile wrote:

It was an "anonymous" report, but we have a feeling that it's a jealous neighbor who used to run a playgroup there up until this summer. We have no proof though, but she's been giving us a lot of attitude.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 6:07 pm
amother wrote:
When we spoke to the inspector that came to check us out when we were reported, we asked what's the fastest, he said between 4-6 months. He said it depends on how fast you fill out your papers & send them back. Located in Brooklyn, ny. Wondering if theres anyway we'd be able to go somewhere to pick up the application book instead of waiting 2 weeks for it to come in the mail? Also if there's a way to get inspectors to come before. Also if anone can tell us what information they'll ask so that we can be prepared. Also how do you do taxes? Do you lose medicaid? Need to get workers comp etc?

Like any other business - yes you need to pay tax. If you earn enough money - yes you will lose medicaid. Yes you should get workers comp for your employees. Yes you will need to be mindful of the adult to child ratios.

Good luck!

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 7:09 pm
amother wrote:
Like any other business - yes you need to pay tax. If you earn enough money - yes you will lose medicaid. Yes you should get workers comp for your employees. Yes you will need to be mindful of the adult to child ratios.

Good luck!

I understand that we'll have to pay taxes, my question is how do taxes work for a daycare?
[/b]My main question is is there any way to bypass the red tape & speed up the process?[b]

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 7:13 pm
amother wrote:
I understand that we'll have to pay taxes, my question is how do taxes work for a daycare?
[/b]My main question is is there any way to bypass the red tape & speed up the process?[b]

You need to open a legal entity. Speak to an accountant for guidance as to what type of entity you should create. Whether he recommends a C Corp, S Corp or LLC etc
You will also need to put your employees on payroll and pay payroll taxes

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 7:46 pm
amother wrote:

I’m not in NY but my good friend underwent this 2 years ago (in nyc). It took a year and that was fast. And things matter that you never imagined. Like egress windows, a back door thats a certain number of feet from the front door, cpr/firstaid certification and background checks of all of the employees and subs... the state that I live in also reaquires a 90 hour early childhood certification for all employees and subs (not sure if ny does). You need an accountant and lawyer to get set up properly. Anything thats worth doing properly wont happen quickly.

Wishing you hatzlacha!!

Last edited by watergirl on Mon, Aug 20 2018, 6:31 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 1:40 am
keep going. Do not give up. Call every day to see if your application is in and when you are next in line. they can probably tell you how many weeks it will take for them to show up.
You might want to give up the current basement and look for an available basement when you know they are coming within a two week time span. dont be frantic, hashem will sent you the right basement, the right minute, this one might still be available for you. no sense in paying six months rent for nothing.
Keep a book of all the things that need to be taken care of so you dont forget payroll company, accountant, etc. workers comp etc.

hotzenplotz

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 1:45 am
You need a good insurance agent you can trust who can guide you with workers comp and any other
insurance needed for a playgroup who will play vital role in your business and a good accountant who
can guide you if you can do payroll yourself or give it to a payroll or freelance bookkeeper and will do your taxes at the end of the year.
It is hard but a good INSURANCE BROKER and ACCOUNTANT will guide you.
Now you need to find someone in the playgroup business who will be a colleague to kindly help you with the legal and practical aspects of the business!!

Good Luck!! You sound like you could make it happen!!
You will shvitz it through!

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 6:35 am
Just a thought - you mentioned opening your group illegally in another space while you work on the legal one. Thats not a great idea because you are now being watched, and should your illegal one get busted again, it wont look good and may have negative ramifications on your application.

I have a friend in my state who is undergoing the process now and she was given permission to maintain her illegal daycare while working on her requirements. This is a question you should ask in your state. You may be able to keep yours running while working on it. Its worth asking!

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 8:06 am
smileforamile wrote:

Anyone who doesn't want their block to be taken over by double parked cars during drop off and pick up, or doesn't want their yard to be overtaken by the noise of 20 kids playing outside. Plus all the extra garbage on the street is unsightly. It's a huge quality of life issue: I'm surprised more of these aren't reported.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 9:53 am
wishing you so much hatzlacha on this!

Just so you know, there is no way you will be open in time for the school year. And you might not be able to open in time for next year. I'm speaking as someone who was on the board and helped open a legal child care center in NYS (not going into where for privacy). The application is ridiculous, and once you submit it they'll tell you that it was the incorrect application, send you more paperwork, take months to review it, lose it along the way, ask for multiple revisions, do inspections...

The requirements are more nitpicky than you can imagine. square footage requirements, basements not allowed, if you're above the first floor you'll need a ramp, expensive safety equipment like evacuation cribs, food to feed the kids for a long time (even if you're not serving food, it's just for an emergency). If you serve food there are additional requirements (so not worth considering). Your teachers need to be college educated with something 'related to' early childhood development etc, you will need a director with similar or greater education requirements.

Staffing requirements are horrid, makes it nearly impossible to find frum staff who are qualified enough for the state. All of these requirements make childcare more expensive than you could possibly imagine... and more than nearly anyone could afford. Sad

tweety1

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 10:48 am
pesek zman wrote:
Anyone who doesn't want their block to be taken over by double parked cars during drop off and pick up, or doesn't want their yard to be overtaken by the noise of 20 kids playing outside. Plus all the extra garbage on the street is unsightly. It's a huge quality of life issue: I'm surprised more of these aren't reported.

Excuse me, I know it's annoying. Very annoying. I have something else highly annoying on my block. But there's mesirah! It's a level that ppl take it to, that to me is the lowest of the lowest. I have a neighbor, really chasidish, veisa zuken type and all, I used to be very close to them, untill they reported whats going on, on my block. Being a muser is so so low and you gotta be highly ashamed of yourself. No matter how annoyed you are. Mesirah is just not somebody who has class and dignity does. BTDT!

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 10:58 am
tweety1 wrote:
Excuse me, I know it's annoying. Very annoying. I have something else highly annoying on my block. But there's mesirah! It's a level that ppl take it to, that to me is the lowest of the lowest. I have a neighbor, really chasidish, veisa zuken type and all, I used to be very close to them, untill they reported whats going on, on my block. Being a muser is so so low and you gotta be highly ashamed of yourself. No matter how annoyed you are. Mesirah is just not somebody who has class and dignity does. BTDT!

Many hold that mesira doesnt apply in the States because its not an unfriendly government. And I’m not sure that this qualifies as mesira. If children’s safety is at risk, I’d report too. And I have “class” (what does that even mean?) and dignity. I have enough class and dignity not to run an illegal operation in my house! It’s interesting how you consider to have class and dignity and who you don’t. The person who is disturbing others on your block seems to lack it.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 11:00 am
watergirl wrote:
Many hold that mesira doesnt apply in the States because its not an unfriendly government. And I’m not sure that this qualifies as mesira. If children’s safety is at risk, I’d report too.

I've never heard of anyone holding this way.

The only times are when someone is a rodef, such as an abuser.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 11:04 am
amother wrote:
I've never heard of anyone holding this way.

The only times are when someone is a rodef, such as an abuser.

Well, I have. I’ve asked a shailah before on this as well. Fwiw, I’ve never reported an illegal daycare.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics