Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Sheva Brooches - how to start and finish on time

pink flower

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 3:47 pm
Whilst we all so much look forward to host simches, the wait for our guests to arrive make us think twice if the time, effort and costs are worthwhile. Simchas start late as to when the majority of guests arrive, as soon the main course has been served the guests slowly start to dissappear. An enjoyable simcha is one started on time and finished early, it saves babysitting costs, next day routine issues...
We hosted a family sheva brooches a few month ago, so that our guests arrive on time we offered those attending by 8:15 to enter a valuable draw, we than had a list of questions to the men and whoever guest the right answer won ברכה אחריתה. The sheva brooches finished at 10:30 and everyone left happily after bentching.
We're hosting another family sheva brooches in 2 weeks and cannot do the same, would you have anything to recommend? This time we're trying to engage the ladies too. Thank you

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 3:52 pm
This usually happens in chasidish circles. I have some chasidish family. My DH used to tell those family members that washing is at 6:15 when the washing was really for 7:30.
They usually showed up on time at 7:30. I am a very prompt person and host a lot, I don't have rachmanus on late comers. "if you snooze you lose"... they miss out, you just continue with your schedule. The chutzpah is when the chosson and kallah dilly dally and don't show up to their own Sheva Brachos until an hour after all the guests have arrived ...BTDT

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 3:55 pm
you can offer a door prize to the people who come on time. or the first 50% of the guests. Or draw a raffle for a big prize 20 minutes after it begins.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 5:49 pm
Tell those that you know will come late, that the Sheba Bruchas will start 1 hr earlier.
So if it’s called for 7 pm, let them know it starts at 6

flowerpower

Post Sun, Aug 19 2018, 7:08 pm
I sent a text or phone call to everyone before my Bar Mitzvah that are we starting punctual. It really worked!

pink flower

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 1:37 am
Thank you all for you responses. I want to make the sheva brooches have a theme so that it is a bit more exciting... So looking for something interesting..

sped

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 2:59 am
My chassidish relatives used to tell my parents to come 1-2 hours after the time they told everyone else. Smile

pink flower

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 3:25 am
sped wrote:
My chassidish relatives used to tell my parents to come 1-2 hours after the time they told everyone else. Smile
this helps for my parents to come late I want my guests to be early

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 4:26 am
Never had a problem. We say called for 715 washing at 730, bentching at 945. We stick to that schedule. Even the chassidishe cousins come on time because they know we will run on time.

keym

Post Mon, Aug 20 2018, 4:45 am
The best advice I got if lateness really bothers you, is to make the last sheva brachos- the day of. Bentching needs to happen by shkia. You tell all your guests that. Usually, they are more on time because there's a limit and they do want to come.
I've served dessert and coffee after bentching so everyone can shmooze more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics