Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
S/O would you let your child marry into anti vax home?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

S/O would you let your child marry into anti vax home?
Absolutely not! I think they are irresponsible and want to keep future grandchildren safe.  
 84%  [ 110 ]
Why not? I dont vaccinate either  
 15%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 130

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 9:27 am
I wouldn't, because the anti back community is generally rejecting and suspicious of medicine and science in general. I would worry about my grandchildren being medically neglected and about the distorted messages they would be raised with.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 9:32 am
amother wrote:
And what "type" is that?

Again with the stereotyping...

Well, we are into vaccinating and into medicine and what it has to offer. My sister is a pediatrician. DD wants to go into nursing. Anti-vax wouldn't fit in with our family's outlook. Different type.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 9:32 am
amother wrote:
I wouldn't, because the anti back community is generally rejecting and suspicious of medicine and science in general. I would worry about my grandchildren being medically neglected and about the distorted messages they would be raised with.

I agree with this. Well said.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 10:02 am
Chayalle wrote:
Well, we are into vaccinating and into medicine and what it has to offer. My sister is a pediatrician. DD wants to go into nursing. Anti-vax wouldn't fit in with our family's outlook. Different type.

Oh, ok, I thought you (and the previous poster) were insinuating that all children born into a family where the parents (or even one parent) decided not to vaccinate possess certain specific personality or character traits.

In any case, you've mentioned in the past that your mother didn't vaccinate, and look how your siblings and your kids turned out. You should know (more than others) that the family shittos that one is born into are not necessarily the shittos one adopts as an adult.

chummus

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 10:04 am
Things like this cause the shidduch crisis.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 10:04 am
I did. Not sure if I even realized it beforehand. They were not vaccinating a very very long time ago - my husband is in his 40s. (my inlaws are slightly eccentric in many ways but they do use regular western medicine when needed for serious illnesses) All of our children are fully vaccinated. I don't think my husband cares that much.

Honestly it depends. I would be upset if my grandchildren were not vaccinated but a not vaccinating person could come from a pro vax family and vice versa.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 10:43 am
amother wrote:
Oh, ok, I thought you (and the previous poster) were insinuating that all children born into a family where the parents (or even one parent) decided not to vaccinate possess certain specific personality or character traits.

In any case, you've mentioned in the past that your mother didn't vaccinate, and look how your siblings and your kids turned out. You should know (more than others) that the family shittos that one is born into are not necessarily the shittos one adopts as an adult.

My mother did vaccinate, just on a delayed schedule.

My mother had alot of what people would call crunchiness today, at a certain point in her life. None of us kids really went for it, and my mother herself moved away from it later in life.

I agree that kids don't necessarily keep their family "shittos". I imagine my kids could potentially become anti-vax, but I can't imagine it.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 10:55 am
cnc wrote:
No I wouldn’t because in my circles, not vaccinating comes along with a bunch of other mishigassen.

This! I soo agree with this stereotype. Whether it is politically correct to stereotype or not, we all do it on our own terms. This is definitely what comes to mind when I think of anti vax.
It's one thing not to vaccinate, it's another to be part of the anti-vax movement.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 11:02 am
ShishKabob wrote:
This! I soo agree with this stereotype. Whether it is politically correct to stereotype or not, we all do it on our own terms. This is definitely what comes to mind when I think of anti vax.
It's one thing not to vaccinate, it's another to be part of the anti-vax movement.

I have a friend who is somewhat anti-vax, and while I vehemently disagree with her views, she's pretty normal, typical for our circles, and does not have a bunch of other mishegassim.

I've met people whose anti-vax stance comes along with a whole lifestyle, and some who don't.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 11:02 am
This didnt come up when dating, but I did freak out a little when I found out dh hadn't been vaccinated as a child because mil doesn't believe in them. Luckily he doesn't feel strongly about it and let me decide to vaccinate our children. We say as little as possible to mil about it because it's really not her business.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 11:30 am
I am not against people who don't vaccinate. Many members of my family don't.
I guess I'm against the movement.
And of course, it's individual. You can be "meshiga ldavar echad" and be normal elsewhere.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 11:51 am
OP on a serious note I think your poll is very black and white so I could not answer.

I understand why people vaccinate and I understand why people don’t.

There are risks either way.

I personally vaccinate all vaccinations for life-threatening or life-altering illness. I don’t run after every flu shot or other random shot looking to mske money. So no I can’t answer.

Jewishmom8

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 12:55 pm
I would be against it.
Common sense is a big one on my list.
I plan on asking when my kids are older.

L K

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 1:04 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have a friend who is somewhat anti-vax, and while I vehemently disagree with her views, she's pretty normal, typical for our circles, and does not have a bunch of other mishegassim.

I've met people whose anti-vax stance comes along with a whole lifestyle, and some who don't.

So how would you know which people don't vaccinate, what " type " do you mention upthread?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 1:12 pm
I would not! I have grandchildren with health issues and it is dangerous for them to be around children who have not been vaccinated. I realize that it is unfair to penalize someone because their parents decided against having them vaccinated, but what about future children and the prospect of them spending holidays and attending family functions with a large number of relatives who pose a health risk to them. Anti-vaxers are banking on everyone else having received their shots. My kids (all married) are all in the health field and I doubt they would have much in common with someone who was against vaccines.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 1:47 pm
L K wrote:
So how would you know which people don't vaccinate, what " type " do you mention upthread?

Thinking about this some more. If someone was the type that it came along with a whole mindset, it would likely come up when we looked into a family for Shidduchim, and it wouldn't work for my child, so I would say no.

If one of my kids went out on a date with a guy and vaccines came up, and the guy would say that he's anti-vax and expects that in his family, I think my kids would say no.

I know someone who dated a guy and she found him too health conscious for her comfort zone. It didn't work out for her, she knew she wouldn't be able to keep the same standards as him.

Miri7

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 2:11 pm
No. I'm not interested in my kids becoming part of a family that is anti-science. I have no patience for anti-vaxxers and people who deny science for mumbo jumbo.

And my DH would never ever, as he lost a sibling to a childhood disease that is nearly eradicated in the US since the creation of the vaccine.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 2:52 pm
It never came across my mind to ask. But now that you are asking you are giving me something to think about. All the anti vaxers I know (which is only about five people) are also against going to doctors, only use home remedies, don't allow their kids to eat nosh, stuff their families with cocktails of vitamins on a daily basis and are against anyone that uses a doctor . They believe their kids "never" get sick.
I don't agree most of the time with their thought process. This manifests itself into other parts of their thinking as well. So I personally wouldn't "click" with such a person. But my children are not me and they will be able to decide if this is something they view as an issue or not .

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 3:38 pm
Funny that you say that, thunderstorm, about anti-vaxers not going to a doctor....I always seem to hear that they do want doctors, but they want doctors that are okay with them not vaxing, which is not easy to find. My sister is a doctor and she won't treat those who don't vaccinate.

My mother A"H was somewhat "crunchy" when I was growing up. I never remember going to doctors (though I did get vaccinated at a clinic - I remember that - on whatever schedule she did. There weren't as many vaccines those days) but I was sick plenty. I remember missing school plenty of times, having fever, coughs, colds, etc...which usually went away after a few days, maybe with some tylenol, garlic toast, or cranberry juice (those were our standard "medicines". I never took antibiotics, ever - first time I had that was when I was in seminary.

I don't think I'm healthier as adult for all of that.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 3:56 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
It never came across my mind to ask. But now that you are asking you are giving me something to think about. All the anti vaxers I know (which is only about five people) are also against going to doctors, only use home remedies, don't allow their kids to eat nosh, stuff their families with cocktails of vitamins on a daily basis and are against anyone that uses a doctor . They believe their kids "never" get sick.
I don't agree most of the time with their thought process. This manifests itself into other parts of their thinking as well. So I personally wouldn't "click" with such a person. But my children are not me and they will be able to decide if this is something they view as an issue or not .

I posted upthread that I don't vaccinate but only because there's too much murky info out there.

Yet, I'm very pro going to doctors. I do well-visits very conscientiously without vaccines. My kids are BH very healthy kids and, without the annual well-visits, would probably see a doctor once in a few years. I want them to have a healthy view of doctors (not to be fearful of them) and I believe it's extremely important to have an ongoing relationship with a primary care physician in case of kol tzarah sheloh savo...

I also use home remedies; I don't see the contradiction.

We don't do vitamins on any constant basis. I'd rather eat the food containing the necessary vitamin. One kid of mine has allergies, so that kid gets some vitamins that are missing because of the allergies.

We do have nosh but we are health conscious, as many people are. This means that we don't do lollies, candies, taffies, etc. but we have pretzels, potato chips, popcorn, plenty homemade cookies and cakes.

There are many people like me. I know some of them. I also know some of the people who are extreme like you describe. Putting all non-vaccinating individuals into a box of a "type" is called stereotyping. It's closed-minded. It's the immature thought process of someone trying to protect themselves from "such" kind of people, without realizing that there are plenty shades of gray.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics