Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
The Newest Rave: Shabbat Gadgets

supermom

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 11:57 am
Israel - The Newest Rave: Shabbat Gadgets.
Israel - Observing Shabbat but have to call your grandmother? Have to have a cup of coffee when you come back from weekend services? The halachic institute for science and technology has just the thing for you.

A group of engineers at the halachic institute, which specializes in Halacha-friendly technological developments, has come up with several new technological breakthroughs designed to ease the religious public's life, while keeping with all Shabbat-related mitzvahs.

The gadgets include, among others, a Shabbat air-conditioner, a Shabbat phone and a kosher, Shabbat espresso machine.

Many of the institute's developments are already in production, both in Israel and abroad, and several have been introduced to the public at a special show arranged by the Manufacturers Association of Israel.

One of the show's biggest hits was the Shabbat pen, which uses self-dissolving ink that disappears 24 hours after writing. "We're not talking about life and death situations here, when one's need to desecrate Shabbat to save a life goes without saying," added Zioni, "but for all those little grey areas we all encounter in our day-to-day lives. [ynet]
posted by Shlomah Shamos @ 11/19/2007 02:45:00 PM

http://www.vosizneias.com/2007......html

Check out link to see the comments. I can't even believe people are considering it!!

Garden

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 12:01 pm
What is the world coming to? What's next?

momluv

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 12:05 pm
what do you say to the new shabbos toothbrush and toothpaste? my mother says its great, especially for a three day yom tov!! the kosher lamp comes to good use too. (I'm not going into that discussion about kosher lamp cuz there is a thread on that topic already.) some new ideas are great though those new gadgets are overboard already.

supermom

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 12:10 pm
What is a shabbos toothbrush and toothpaste?

momluv

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 12:13 pm
it just came out from the guy who created the kosher lamp. you can use it on shabbos. I haven't bought one yet but as a set it only costs $11. in monsey its avail. in bais hasforim. I need to find it in bp so I'll have to ask my mother where its avail. she has the binah magazine where it was advertised.

Nicole

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 12:20 pm
The shabbos toothbrush advertised in Binah looks like it has silicone bristles so there's not squeezing involved. Pretty clever, though I can't imagine how abrasive it is on the teeth... don't really see how much better it is than a finger and some mouthwash. Very Happy

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 2:01 pm
t might be a questio for a different thread, but I understand there is no real issur in brushing your teeth on shabbos

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 11:23 pm
there is if your gums bleed when you brush, and then there is schita (squeezing) from the bristles. Not to mention the cleaning /whitening part of it all.

EsaEinai

Post Thu, Nov 22 2007, 11:54 pm
arent the bristles on toothbrushes similar to those on the shabbos sponges? (the ones that have an area for the soap, etc, not scotch brite sponges)

loveit

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 5:55 am
Yes, but they are much more tightly packed so I was told that was an issue because that was also my argument! I still use a toothbrush anyway since it has never made my gums bleed and more importantly, because my Rabbi says it's fine. As for toothpaste, I use the colgate 2 in 1 with whitening and the Rabbi said that the amount of whitener is negligble so it was fine, phew!

mali

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 6:29 am
These "gadgets" were created mainly for medical purposes. Doctors and chronically ill patients now have a way of communicating without desecrating Shabbos (true, it's permitted to be Mechalel Shabbos for such reasons, but some people might be afraid that their condition isn't life threatening and refrain from calling a doctor, so this is a perfect solution). I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, but if it's Rabbi Halperin's Machon, then it's 100% Kosher, and endorsed by all Orthodox Rabbis that I know of.

For those who've studied Hilchos Shabbos in depth, and would like to understand the logic behind these machines, it's built on the principle of "Grama" and basically what these things are doing (they even have an outlet that works on this basis, and can be used by people who need breathing aids every so often) is that they're not turning on a current, but rather, causing one to stop on its own (and when it stops, the machine starts running).

The goal of this Machon is not to make people start turning on and shutting off electrical appliances on Shabbos, but rather, to help those that have to do so anyway. Still, it is Lechatchila Muttar to use them.

chavamom

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 7:03 am
Hmm - I'm curious about that espresso machine. I'm guessing it's not a life or death emergency for most of us! The bigger question is "can it steam milk too?" LOL

mali

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 7:06 am
Maybe they're for use in hospital staff rooms, where the people would use whatever there is, so this definitely a better choice.

Besides, as I've posted before, these appliances can be used Lechatchila, even by those who are ultra-machmir.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics