Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
BE A MENTSCH!! A rant/vent
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 1:22 pm
pause wrote:
A few observations posted under my screen name:

1) OP is chassidish and probably lives in Williamsburg but possibly also BP.
Quote:
I’ve seen sukkahs with official “walkways” on the gutter that they forgot to set up before yom tov.
Gutters are things that hang off the sides of the roof of a house. Wink

2) Puce amother is definitely the amother Blue from Was this the right thing to do? thread. Unable to hear another point of view.

3) People don't must eat pizza on sukkos. They definitely don't must eat it in the store's sukkah. In a crowded congested city, like the one OP is describing, there are plenty of other sukka options for eating. No one is converging on one rabbi's sukka.

Gutters can also be that spot on the street where the water runs into the sewer.
Op is NOT chassidic but I do live in Borough Park and I appreciate your attemp to stereotype me as one, they are some of my nicest, most giving neighbors.
Puce can be whoever she wants, there’s a reason why anon posting exists. She cannot be bashed, however. That’s against forum rules, as is stereotyping.
Please remember that while this is a rant/vent thread, bashing a person rather than the topic at hand is not acceptable.
Yes

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 1:24 pm
Shame on you OP. I think it is beautiful that chagim are so openly celebrated in our community. Some people will always complain .

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:
Shame on you OP. I think it is beautiful that chagim are so openly celebrated in our community. Some people will always complain .

Except that blocking the way is against halacha and this case is purelfor parnosa, not l'shem Mitzvah.

Those for homes and shuls are for the mitzvah.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:

how to celebrate succot if you are a pizza business and don't have space to build a succah without putting pedestrians in peril.

Offer discount on pizza takeout.

Offer breadless options.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 2:00 pm
Why is it anti sukkah to build a sukkah three feet shorter?

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 2:02 pm
Aaaand... here I am again reiterating my point. We are not anti sukkah self hating religious Jews. Were just asking people to be considerate of pedestrians when building sukkahs on the street.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 2:03 pm
Groovy, love your analogy!

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 2:08 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Yes, it's also hard when there is construction, or anything else. It's not about Jews

True. But I’ve noticed that construction sites always have useable walkways if it’s going to be for anything longer then 8 hrs. Ramp leading down to it, etc. there’s no posting huge signs with arrows pointing to a non-existent walkway.

anon for this

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
The shul or restaurant gets a permit to build the sukkah. They are allowed to block the sidewalk. Let the congregation enjoy kiddish together. Let men have a place to eat.

If you people are so anti-sukkah, then get elected to change the law, so that the Jewish religion does not have to be accommodated. Meanwhile use the paths provided or don't walk there.

Are you saying that in your town, restaurants and shuls can obtain permits to build succahs that block sidewalks and curb cuts, and to keep these succahs up for three or more weeks a year? Even if this means that people using walkers or wheelchairs aren't able to use the sidewalk safely? I find that surprising. Are you located in the US? if so, do you mind sharing the state/ city?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Sep 27 2018, 6:46 pm
Op I hear you.

Have you or DH ever tried speaking to the owners of the establishments? While it may seem obvious and while I understand they are also pressed for space they may not be aware of the problem and once they are may be able to cut back a bit enough to allow passage or come up with another solution hopefully.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 12:34 am
amother wrote:
Gutters can also be that spot on the street where the water runs into the sewer.
Op is NOT chassidic but I do live in Borough Park and I appreciate your attemp to stereotype me as one, they are some of my nicest, most giving neighbors.
Puce can be whoever she wants, there’s a reason why anon posting exists. She cannot be bashed, however. That’s against forum rules, as is stereotyping.
Please remember that while this is a rant/vent thread, bashing a person rather than the topic at hand is not acceptable.
Yes

This is a street gutter:

https://www.google.com/search?.....=3.13

The way you used the word is a chassidish way of using it. I don't believe you're not chassidish, especially since you're young and live in bp with small children. Non chassidish young families are an extinct species in bp.

-A chassidish poster

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 12:56 am
Ecru, thanks for thinking that I’m young! I guess if young at heart counts...! Unfortunately, not everyone with three young children is young herself.
Thanks for the pic, that is what I meant when I used the word “gutter”
I am a non chassidish non young mommy living in Bp (didn’t realize I was an endangered species!) and I am a published author, so I think I’m aware of which words to use! Rolling Laughter If I used the word in a way that offends anyone’s delicate lingo-meters, my sincerest apologies.
I’m just curious though, you’re not the first one to insist that I’m chassidish, why would it matter to the thread?

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 1:22 am
That's not what you meant.

A street gutter is a depression running parallel to a road designed to collect rainwater flowing along the street and divert it into a storm drain. A gutter alleviates water buildup on a street, allowing pedestrians to pass without walking through puddles and reducing the risk of hydroplaning by road vehicles. When a curbstone is present, a gutter may be formed by the convergence of the road surface and the vertical face of the sidewalk; otherwise, a dedicated gutter surface made of concrete may be present. Depending on local regulations, a gutter usually discharges, as a nonpoint pollution source in a storm drain whose final discharge falls into a detention pond (in order to remove some pollutants by sedimentation) or into a body of water. Not all streets have gutters, and they are most often found in areas of a city which have high pedestrian traffic. In rural areas gutters are seldom used and are frequently replaced by a borrow ditch.[1]

In BP, the word gutter is used instead of street, which is the way you used it.

Whatever.

It makes no difference if you're chassidish or not. But when you use a chassidish word like "gutter" and live in BP it seems like an obvious conclusion.

etky

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 1:32 am
amother wrote:
This is a street gutter:

The way you used the word is a chassidish way of using it. I don't believe you're not chassidish, especially since you're young and live in bp with small children. Non chassidish young families are an extinct species in bp.

-A chassidish poster

I'm anything but chassidish and I grew up in NY - not BP or even Brooklyn for that matter - using 'gutter' in the same way as OP.
I am 'old' though. Maybe it's a generational thing What

oliveoil

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 1:33 am
amother wrote:
That's not what you meant.

A street gutter is a depression running parallel to a road designed to collect rainwater flowing along the street and divert it into a storm drain. A gutter alleviates water buildup on a street, allowing pedestrians to pass without walking through puddles and reducing the risk of hydroplaning by road vehicles. When a curbstone is present, a gutter may be formed by the convergence of the road surface and the vertical face of the sidewalk; otherwise, a dedicated gutter surface made of concrete may be present. Depending on local regulations, a gutter usually discharges, as a nonpoint pollution source in a storm drain whose final discharge falls into a detention pond (in order to remove some pollutants by sedimentation) or into a body of water. Not all streets have gutters, and they are most often found in areas of a city which have high pedestrian traffic. In rural areas gutters are seldom used and are frequently replaced by a borrow ditch.[1]

In BP, the word gutter is used instead of street, which is the way you used it.

Whatever.

It makes no difference if you're chassidish or not. But when you use a chassidish word like "gutter" and live in BP it seems like an obvious conclusion.

What are you even talking about? Gutter is commonly used in English. It is not a "chassidish" word.

moonstone

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 1:40 am
pause wrote:
A few observations posted under my screen name:

1) OP is chassidish and probably lives in Williamsburg but possibly also BP.
Quote:
I’ve seen sukkahs with official “walkways” on the gutter that they forgot to set up before yom tov.
Gutters are things that hang off the sides of the roof of a house. Wink

2) Puce amother is definitely the amother Blue from Was this the right thing to do? thread. Unable to hear another point of view.

3) People don't must eat pizza on sukkos. They definitely don't must eat it in the store's sukkah. In a crowded congested city, like the one OP is describing, there are plenty of other sukka options for eating. No one is converging on one rabbi's sukka.

Just want to let you know that there is no such grammatical construction as "don't must".

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 1:57 am
oliveoil wrote:
What are you even talking about? Gutter is commonly used in English. It is not a "chassidish" word.

Gutter is commonly used in English instead of the word street?

Please provide examples.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 3:25 am
he lay drunk in a gutter

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 3:29 am
amother wrote:
This is a street gutter:

-A chassidish poster

I guess I'm extinct. Tongue Out Yet I'm still here in bp.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 3:36 am
amother wrote:
he lay drunk in a gutter

It means he lay on the side of the street, in a lower area, such as a ditch. Not that he lay in the street proper.

Someone above mentioned gutter as part of a roof, and yes it can be that too, the trough used to carry off excess water.
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics