Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Girls sleep away camps for kids with GF / DF diet

A_Mother_First

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 3:14 pm
Hi,

This is my first post here.

I have a daughter who is on a gluten-free, dairy-free diet (not celiac, but on anti-inflammatory diet).
I am looking for a sleep-away camp that will be at least somewhat accommodating, as in not making her shlep dairy-free milk all the way upstate, when such milk is now available in every grocery store. I can cook and freeze meals, but not sure if a camp will have enough fridge / freezer space. We stay in the city in the summer, so I will have to send food for at least 10 days at a time until we get to see her on visiting day.
My daughter is otherwise health, BH, and does not need any special care. I am aware that camp Kaylie is very accommodating with special diets, but my daughter is hoping for a camp who is a bit more right-wing in terms of dress-code etc. I would appreciate pertinent information. My daughter has already given up on going to sleep away camp because of her special diet, and this makes me sad. I would love for her to have that experience at least once. Many thanks in advance for your thoughts / suggestions.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 3:19 pm
My daughter goes to a camp (it's a bnei akiva camp, so guessing too modern for your daughter). But they have food to accommodate every diet. Definitely dairy and gluten free. I think lots of camps do. Perhaps find a camp that would be a good fit otherwise and then work with them.

Oh, and welcome!

A_Mother_First

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter goes to a camp (it's a bnei akiva camp, so guessing too modern for your daughter). But they have food to accommodate every diet. Definitely dairy and gluten free. I think lots of camps do. Perhaps find a camp that would be a good fit otherwise and then work with them.

Oh, and welcome!

Thank you for the 'welcome' and for your response Smile

I did try what you had suggested: First looking for a camp that would be a good fit, and then seeing if they would accommodate.
I do not want to generalize, but it appears to be the case that the more MO camps are more accommodating, and as far as I am aware ( I could be wrong!) –the more Bais Yaakov types are less open to making the necessary adjustments. I am not sure why is that. I would expect greater sensitivity and willingness to make it possible for every child to have a great summer experience, even if it is slightly inconvenient for the camp.
We are an educated and open-minded home, and I teach my children that it takes all types to make a Klal Yisroel. But my daughter is more right-wing than my husband and I are, and I respect her for who she is as a person. If it was just the issue of a dress code, I think my daughter may be OK with that, but the feedback that I had received is that the more ‘modern’ the camp is, the more secular content and media that is tolerated (even if not officially allowed by the camp), and I think my daughter will likely be uncomfortable with that.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 3:38 pm
this is totally second hand info but we had a guest this summer who told me her sister with severe allergies goes to a camp in canada (toronto?) because the camp would accommodate her. I think it was a Beis Yaakov camp.

rgr

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 3:39 pm
Camp mesorah accommodates gluten free, vegetarian and more. I do believe it's a MO camp

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 3:40 pm
[quote="amother"]this is totally second hand info but we had a guest this summer who told me her sister with severe allergies goes to a camp in canada (toronto?) because the camp would accommodate her. I think it was a Beis Yaakov camp.[/quote

If it is a Toronto camp - it would be this camp. http://campagudahtoronto.com/

no comments on their kitchen.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 3:43 pm
Try calling camps your daughter is interested in.
Years ago I worked in a camp kitchen.
Dairy free was pretty common. Iirc girls brought cartons of dairy free milk and kept in the kitchen fridge and picked up for breakfast.
I remember at least 2 girls who were gluten free who kept rolls in the camp freezer and came to get them when there weren’t enough options served for them.
The camp mother would check on girls with food restrictions to see if they had enough.
So the girls did bring food but it was definetly done. I would call camps and see what they do. Gf is much more common then when I was in camp (19 years ago)

A_Mother_First

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 3:52 pm
Thanks for all the info regarding the camp in Canada, and camp Mesorah. I will have to check both out.

A_Mother_First

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 3:54 pm

no comments on their kitchen.[/quote]

Meaning? If sensitive info, would you please send me a PM?

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 4:00 pm
Maybe she’ll be better by the summer!
Sounds more like a food sensitivity than an allergy. Allergies can be life threatening unlike food sensitivities. If she is healthy and mature she can go to any camp and stay away from things that aren’t good for her. You can speak to the camp mother or camp nurse to see they can make sure she has enough to eat.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:02 pm
A_Mother_First wrote:

no comments on their kitchen.

Meaning? If sensitive info, would you please send me a PM?[/quote]

meaning - I don't know if they can accommodate your daughter - nothing bad. Just giving you the name and contact info for the Toronto camp.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:14 pm
I think it was camp agudah.

But I would think if its not a severe allergy any camp should accommodate. Dairy won't be present in meat suppers, and if she is ok with small amounts of gluten (eg if the cook uses soup powder or hot dogs or served, both of which often contain gluten) then that shouldn't be a huge issue.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:18 pm
I have relative with celiac. She goes to baisenu and they give her fridge and freezer space. However her mother is upstate so she does send supper a few times a week.

Kumphort

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:22 pm
Look into camp Dina. I would say it’s a similar clientele to kaylie. I know at least one celiac camper there not sure how they work out the foood

A_Mother_First

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:22 pm
amother wrote:
I think it was camp agudah.

But I would think if its not a severe allergy any camp should accommodate. Dairy won't be present in meat suppers, and if she is ok with small amounts of gluten (eg if the cook uses soup powder or hot dogs or served, both of which often contain gluten) then that shouldn't be a huge issue.

Thanks. As you poined out, dairy may be less of an issue for supper (except during the nine days), although it is still an issue for lunches. Yet, my daughter resents the idea of having to carry a suitcase full of milk, and I agree -- she should not have to when I am paying full price like everyone else, and non-dairy milk is so easy to get anywhere that she should not have to bring it with her all the way from Brooklyn.

Re gluten, this is more complicated: While we do not have to worry about cross-contamination like someone with celiac would, she is recovering from a condition that is triggered by gluten. This summer in day camp, she had some snacks that contained gluten and we went through a relapse, so no -- even small amounts of gluten in her food are probably not OK for her Sad.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:25 pm
Pretty sure Sternberg accommodates

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:35 pm
Camp Tubby accommodates certain dietary restrictions.

A_Mother_First

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 12:45 am
If anyone has more info on Camp Dina, would you please PM me? Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics