Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
One thing you remembered from school?
1  2  3  4  Next

yo'ma

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 7:53 am
Nothing to do with academics, but something more inspirational.

One of the questions we had on our mussar final in h.s. was, what was one thing from class that, I can't figure out how it was worded, but my answer and a friend had the same answer. While in class or a speech and someone walks in in middle, don't turn around and see who it is. It's disrespectful to the speaker and uncomfortable to the one who walked in. To this day, many years later Wink , I still try to or try not to do that. It's still a conscious thing.

Got anything inspirational that you still try to do today?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 8:39 am
From art class: when drawing a human head, make the eyes right in the middle of the face, not near the top

dankbar

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 9:25 am
One teacher taught us hilchos derech eretz. Ein orach machnis orach. If you are a guest don't bring along another guest it's just not menschlich. Which applies when I am invited or when I invite

dankbar

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 9:36 am
Hilchos shabbos & hilchos muktzah & hilchos Basar vcholov & hilchos bedikas toloim are all relevant in my kosher kitchen & frum lifestyle & I still remember them.

dankbar

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 9:39 am
Knowing the names of all Chinese presidents for the last hundred years is for sure not relevant for me today

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:06 am
In Tehillim class: Of course I don't remember the passuk. But it was about David Hamelech praising HaShem for the garbage at the gates of Yerushalayim. What is praiseworthy about that ?
1. It means there was is so much Bracha that there is a lot of excess that ultimately goes to waste.
2. There is a Bracha of having lots of children who make messes and produce lots of garbage (think dirty diapers) etc.
I always keep that in mind when I want to kvetch about the messes and amount of garbage I have. It is a Bracha.

Also, I learned in hashkafa that a chesed is not a chesed once it's being done with negative feelings or resentment. If you are upset or stressed over doing the specific chesed then rather don't do the chesed at all. It needs to come with positive and good feeling.

Zehava

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:18 am
The fourth grade song with all the Central American and South American countries and their capitals

dankbar

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:26 am
yeah for that matter anything that was in song form is remembered like names of U S presidents, names of 5O states of U.S., with capitals. Any other geography that we learned the diff countries & capitals that weren't in song form aren't remembered so well

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:26 am
Well, I memorized the Shemona Perakim of the Rambam's introduction to Pirkei Avos. And the famous Ramban in Parshas Bo (62 lines in my Chumash at that time.)

Anyone who did the same went to the same high school as me.

dankbar

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:28 am
Dodgerblue does that help you today?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:34 am
dankbar wrote:
Dodgerblue does that help you today?

Good question.

In some way, those do have tremendous foundations of emunah in them. And I do have a strong belief in Hashem and the Torah, so on some subconscious level it probably helps me.

Did I have to memorize them to get here, though?

I had a top-notch Hebrew education. It shaped who I am today, but I don't know if it was absolutely necessary.

doctorima

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:46 am
amother wrote:
Well, I memorized the Shemona Perakim of the Rambam's introduction to Pirkei Avos. And the famous Ramban in Parshas Bo (62 lines in my Chumash at that time.)

Wow, that's quite impressive! How much of it do you still remember by heart? And since you're anon anyway, can you tell us what high school this was?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:48 am
Dodgerblue, can you please tell me which school you went to??

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 10:50 am
doctorima wrote:
Wow, that's quite impressive! How much of it do you still remember by heart? And since you're anon anyway, can you tell us what high school this was?

I still remember large parts of it. Or could easily re-memorize it. It's definitely still in there.

Bais Yaakov of Monsey

I don't think they do this any more. The school has changed alot in the last 20 years or so. But I was there back in the days of the Rebetzin....

imasoftov

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 9:26 am
Dodgerblue amother wrote:

That's quite a lot, comes out to 20 pages in the Mossad Harav Kook edition, OK, there are footnotes, how much of each page they take up varies, but that's still a lot, let's say around 30 lines on the average page. I don't know which is *the* famous Ramban in Bo so I can't compare sizes but if the divrei hamatchil stayed in your memory I'll attempt to estimate how many times longer Shemona Perakim is.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 10:07 am
Birchas Yaakov from 4th grade!

doctorima

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 10:14 am
The Ramban is at the very end of Parshas Bo, and talks about how the purpose of open miracles (e.g. the makkos) is to help us understand that everything that happens in the world - even what we call nature - is also miraculous, albeit hidden miracles.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 10:17 am
pesek zman wrote:
Birchas Yaakov from 4th grade!

My elementary school did not have us memorize that, and I always felt I missed out. I memorized it along with my oldest DD, but TBH it's not the same memorizing it as an adult. I re-memorized it with each one, so by now I basically have it.

Last year my youngest was in 4th grade, and they made an absolutely beautiful (and adorable) performance based on the Birchas Yaakov. They wore adorable costumes, with old-fashioned gold head-dresses and a plaque with picture of the Shevet they represented. They sang the actual Bracha to their shevet, and a song about that shevet.

I do remember Shiras Chana (memorized in 6th grade), and I often say it after candle-lighting. Having gone thru IF myself, it is especially meaningful to me.

Last edited by Chayalle on Fri, Oct 05 2018, 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 10:18 am
One thing I remember is how when one kid was singled out by authority for tsnius....(She was keeping school rules in school) for no good reason....it didn't strengthen her tznius just the opposite....it made her repulsive to all these restrictions. It shamed her & it wasn't fair....So what you learn from this....a whole lot...you decide

dankbar

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 10:22 am
I remember all the softy teachers who graduated from diff school than the ones they were teaching Were clueless how things worked in our school & were being taken advantage by the students due to their soft nature & were not successful unfortunately
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational