Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
School Lunch Help!

Mommy1:)

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:23 am
I have a crazy work schedule, and have to make the meals for the week in advance. I'm looking for ideas for easy, freezable lunches for elementary and preschool age kids.

Lunch: Right now I buy a loaf or two of bread, make PBJ's, freeze them, and lunch is easy to throw into the backpack every day. But the kids have been eating PBJ's every day... and they're sick of them.

Snack: cherry tomatoes and grapes, washed sunday and packaged for the week; bamba and veggie straws and raisins packed in portioned ziplock snack bags make packing snacks ok, but am looking for additional ideas for snacks too.

Any ideas for lunches - and snacks - are welcome!

*The schools have indicated no children are severely allergic to peanut products this year. Wouldn't have sent PBJ's and bamba otherwise Smile

Teacher_EW

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:31 am
Noodles freeze well, and you can send along a small ziploc of shredded cheese with it. Fish sticks are also good and will keep in the fridge for a couple of days after being baked... for snack u can cut Persian cucumbers or peppers into sticks. Those should last a couple days in the fridge as well.

Teacher_EW

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:32 am
And what about yogurt and a slice of bread? That's pretty grab n go...

pond user

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:37 am
Hmmm. Have you tried other filled sandwiches? If you're freezing anyway may as well get something exciting in the sandwich. Try smoked salmon, cream cheese and cucumber. Or salt beef slices with pickles and tomatoes (my current fave). If you don't want sandwiches, these foods could be eaten cold: sausages, schnitzel, eggs, sliced cheese, corn, savoury muffins.

For snacks, I prepare cucumber, carrot and celery sticks. Unsweetened apples sauces. Grapes, or other berries. Sometimes I'll make a smoothie in the beginning of the week and freeze into portions (that way I can hide avocado and spinach in there too!). If nuts aren't a problem, prepare little snack bags of mixed nuts and dried berries. Also some nice yogurts work well. Rice cake/crackers with humous are our current household favourite.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 10:37 am
Tuna sandwiches, cream cheese, sliced cheese, turkey sandwiches and other cold cut sandwiches freeze well up to 2 weeks.

Another grab and go fruit idea is the applesauce squeezies.

Combine the grape tomatoes with baby carrots - another item you don't have to prep.

Granola bars are filling. Or freeze nutritious muffins.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics