Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Manhattan Neighbourhoods. Help!
1  2  3  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Oct 20 2018, 8:59 pm
Shavua tov! We are considering moving to Manhattan: UES, UWS, or LES. I’d appreciate any and all information: general hashkafa of the community (I know most of these neighbourhoods have a big range of shuls), relative cost of apartments in each (I know it’s all expensive, but how do they compare), young families, etc. (We are pretty sure we’re not interested in Washington Heights). Thank you!!!

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Oct 20 2018, 9:35 pm
LES is nice. Different types but pretty frum... Not sure how it compares to other Manhattan neighborhoods

doctorima

Post Sat, Oct 20 2018, 9:51 pm
UWS is the largest of the 3 options and has the most diversity in terms of Jewish options. It ranges from extremely MO to black-hat shtiebels, with plenty in-between. The UES is smaller and more homogeneous in that it's mostly MO. The LES isn't nearly as big as the UWS, but also has a nice OOT feel of diversity, with a number of different shul options and a nice tight-knit, non-judgmental OOT vibe.

I don't know real estate so well, but I believe the UES costs more than the UWS. Commuting in the city can be a nightmare, so a lot of my choice would be based on job and school locations.

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Oct 20 2018, 9:55 pm
doctorima wrote:

I don't know real estate so well, but I believe the UES costs more than the UWS. Commuting in the city can be a nightmare, so a lot of my choice would be based on job and school locations.

I used to think this too, but many have told me UWS is more expensive than UES.

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Oct 20 2018, 11:05 pm
What doctorima said sounds true to me.

I don't think there are many frum families on the UES. The people I know there are LWMO.

UWS has a stronger Orthodox presence but the people I know there have a higher standard of living. LES the actual home prices I think are similar to UWS but the people seem more low-maintenance. I really don't mean that to sound as judgmental as it's coming out but I can't figure out how else to say it, you know what kind of lifestyle works for you and there's nothing wrong with either of them.

UWS seems to be flourishing or at least the same as always, while LES is a very small community. Small is not necessarily a bad thing, but if you're looking for something very lively and growing, UWS probably has more going on.

I agree with doctorima as well about commuting, and you really should count that into any decision. Getting from one of these areas to another can be a real hassle. They are all about the same to midtown, LES is obviously the best for downtown, and UWS is probably the closest to Washington Heights. LES is closest to Brooklyn if you plan to send to school there.

To give you an idea of both what kind of community style and what kind of school commutes to expect, UWS has Manhattan Day School and Yeshiva Ketana, UES has Park East Day School and Ramaz, and LES has Bais Yaakov and R' Moshe Feinstein's yeshiva. A few kids from each neighborhood commute to the schools in each other neighborhood but you get what I'm saying.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Oct 20 2018, 11:14 pm
UES and UWS have better public transportation.

LES can be a very long walk to the subway and the buses run very infrequently.

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Oct 20 2018, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:
UES and UWS have better public transportation.

UWS is the winner there. UES not really, depends where you're trying to go I guess. LES has some nice train access but the area where most of the frum people live is farther from the subway stations.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Oct 20 2018, 11:23 pm
I think the LES would be the least expensive. From what I know, the community is close knit, they all seem to know each other and they are very accepting.

Just curious what you don’t like about Washington heights?

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Oct 20 2018, 11:35 pm
I'm not the OP but Washington Heights doesn't have much family life there anymore. It gets a lot of young people for a few years and once they have a couple of kids they move out.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 12:44 am
The LES is a lovely close-knit community with all levels of frumkeit. There is a Bais Yaakov elementary school for the girls and MTJ for the boys. It's small, with everything within a few blocks of each other. The train station is a 10-15 minute walk, depending which building you live in, and there is a bus that goes right to the train.

Apartments run from $800,000-1,000,000 for a 2 bedroom apartment. A bit more for a 3 bedroom. Some people have 2 or more apartments, but you gotta buy them.

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 6:10 am
I would think the UWS is the most desirable and prices probably reflect that desirability. Assuming you will be working in Manhattan, the commute to more parts of Manhattan is pretty good.

I think the opening of the Second Avenue subway has made transportation on the UES better but prices are less than UWS but some of that has to do with housing stock since a lot of UES housing is bland newer buildings - the fabulous stuff close to Central Park is still wickedly expensive and deservedly so.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 8:23 am
I used to live until recently in Manhattan. The UWS community is wonderful and diverse. But the yeshivish/more right community is very very wealthy. Most people are so kind and normal acting but it can be really hard on the kids. The UES has a lot of middle orthodox families at orach Chaim a great Shul and many Sheitel wearers young families and programming. However very transient.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 8:36 pm
Thanks, everyone! Orach Chaim on the UES sounds like it might be a possibility. Rents in that area are a bit more reasonable than UWS, and sounds like it might be a good match for us. When you say "transient" -- will there be kids there for mine to play with? Young families?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 8:37 pm
Those who mentioned LES, where do the frum families live? Specific buildings or streets?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:
Those who mentioned LES, where do the frum families live? Specific buildings or streets?

Seward Park houses
Hilman development
East River Houses

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 9:48 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks, everyone! Orach Chaim on the UES sounds like it might be a possibility. Rents in that area are a bit more reasonable than UWS, and sounds like it might be a good match for us. When you say "transient" -- will there be kids there for mine to play with? Young families?

She is probably referring to the specific members of Orach Chaim.

I can only assume based on my knowledge of demographics that the UES is not the final destination for many families versus the UWS. There are a lot of hospitals in the area and residents live on the UES for proximity.

Also the UWS seems to have more of a tradition of large family oriented apartments. It traditionally was built to accommodate families and always was a center for Jewish life in Manhattan.

I am guessing but perhaps a larger percentage of renters on the UES versus the UWS. I am more familiar with the UWS and know families where their children are now raising their families if they can afford an apartment.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 9:50 pm
Yeah, I don’t think we’ll ever be able to afford to buy an apartment 🙁 the rent is going to be hard enough to swing as it is. But we want to be close to work and someplace diverse where we don’t need a car, and can’t think of anywhere but Manhattan.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:20 pm
Brooklyn?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:22 pm
My perception of Brooklyn is that it is not so open-minded and diverse, but I’d love to be proven wrong. Neighbourhood suggestions?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Oct 21 2018, 10:22 pm
The UES is only cheaper east of Lexington. The LES has gotten very expensive from what I hear.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating