Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Office pay amount - please help me
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 4:37 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
what does "heimish minimum" mean? Lol.

See my many rants on this topic. So many people post “whats minimum for a married man just out of kollel”, “whats minimum for a 49 year old single girl” (made that up but its not that far fetched!).

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:25 pm
watergirl wrote:
See my many rants on this topic. So many people post “whats minimum for a married man just out of kollel”, “whats minimum for a 49 year old single girl” (made that up but its not that far fetched!).

There is discrimination in workplaces.
Women can be paid less than men, for the same work.
In my company, women and single men are paid less. It's not fair, but the claim is that the married men have more work experience, regardless if they are new hires. (They still need training).

My company does keep on giving raises, randomly. (Well, not really, but as the company grows so does out paycheck)

Simple1

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:34 pm
amother wrote:
Lakewood pays more.

That's very backwards. Lakewood cost of living is lower and wages have always been lower than in Brooklyn. When did this all change? I guess when Lakewood became high end...

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:35 pm
amother wrote:
There is discrimination in workplaces.
Women can be paid less than men, for the same work.
In my company, women and single men are paid less. It's not fair, but the claim is that the married men have more work experience, regardless if they are new hires. (They still need training).

My company does keep on giving raises, randomly. (Well, not really, but as the company grows so does out paycheck)

It’s illegal. Full stop. I’m not going to rant here again, you can feel free to pull up my older posts on the topic.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:51 pm
watergirl wrote:
I dont think that person is referring to actual minimum wage. She’s referring to heimish minimum.

Yes, I meant heimish minimum, thanks for clarifying Very Happy

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:55 pm
amother wrote:
Being competent your job is expected. Thats true for all jobs.

You live in a different world than me... but let me translate. You are a part-time office manager - and you report directly to the the small business owner. Because you have a high level of responsiblity and work very independently, you would like more than a starting salary.

Yes!! You totally got me! I love your description. This is exactly what I'm doing! Salut

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 6:39 pm
Simple1 wrote:
That's very backwards. Lakewood cost of living is lower and wages have always been lower than in Brooklyn. When did this all change? I guess when Lakewood became high end...

I don’t believe it has to do with high end. As people move, businesses open up. Each of these businesses need employees. So there is currently more of a demand for employees than a supply. Additionally, many of the young graduates do not have the most desirable work ethic - their attitude just isn’t the same as that of the 30+ crowd. So if you actually have work ethic and are a good employee you’re worth a lot in Lakewood. Unlike Brooklyn where there are fewer new businesses and more older employees.

Simple1

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 6:51 pm
amother wrote:
I don’t believe it has to do with high end. As people move, businesses open up. Each of these businesses need employees. So there is currently more of a demand for employees than a supply. Additionally, many of the young graduates do not have the most desirable work ethic - their attitude just isn’t the same as that of the 30+ crowd. So if you actually have work ethic and are a good employee you’re worth a lot in Lakewood. Unlike Brooklyn where there are fewer new businesses and more older employees.

Oh. I thought you were referring all the girls coming out of seminary - of which there are many. Someone else here did say that the 19 yos are starting out asking for that.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:06 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Oh. I thought you were referring all the girls coming out of seminary - of which there are many. Someone else here did say that the 19 yos are starting out asking for that.

The 19 year olds are offered 17/18 an hour these days. Definitely not more

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:12 pm
Simple1 wrote:

It's a simple equation of supply and demand. Many Lakewood girls get degrees and are working in other fields, so there are less women who are looking for office jobs. Also, they have to somewhat compete with the degree job market.

Any community that has a high percentage of professionals will pay their regular workers more as well.

Simple1

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:16 pm
amother wrote:
The 19 year olds are offered 17/18 an hour these days. Definitely not more

That makes more sense. Someone upthread said 20+.

Simple1

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:18 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
It's a simple equation of supply and demand. Many Lakewood girls get degrees and are working in other fields, so there are less women who are looking for office jobs. Also, they have to somewhat compete with the degree job market.

Any community that has a high percentage of professionals will pay their regular workers more as well.

Off topic, but I don't know too many girls going for degrees. There aren't even many good college options here.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:20 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Off topic, but I don't know too many girls going for degrees. There aren't even many good college options here.

Maybe this is a new thing, I don't know? Most of the women I know have degrees.

Simple1

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:22 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Maybe this is a new thing, I don't know? Most of the women I know have degrees.

Did they grow up in Brooklyn where college was easier to access?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:25 pm
I work in a BP office with several women. 4 years experience at the job. I make approx $26-27 and hour.

I think the amounts paid written in this post are quite low. The cost of living is very high. Babysitting costs $6 an hour. Cleaning ladies charge $13 an hour. I believe I should be earning at least double of what my cleaning lady earns.

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:25 pm
Mommy8 and Simple1 your comments have me scratching my head. Most of the women I know have degrees is well, many of them have masters also. None of them went to school in Brooklyn were college was “easier” (what does that even mean?). What world are you referring to?
Edited to ad - mommy8 I just reread your post. I guess I’m not addressing you.

Last edited by watergirl on Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:27 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Did they grow up in Brooklyn where college was easier to access?

I guess. I don't have big girls so I don't know what the girls are doing now. Maybe I'm thinking of young married women who come from New York or elsewhere.

There ARE some college options here, though.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:27 pm
watergirl wrote:
Mommy8 and Simple1 your comments have me scratching my head. Most of the women I know have degrees is well, many of them have masters also. None of them went to school in Brooklyn were college was “easier” (what does that even mean?). What world are you referring to?
Edited to ad - mommy8 I just reread your post. I guess I’m not addressing you.

Touro.

ETA: we're talking about frum options.

Last edited by Mommyg8 on Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Simple1

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:33 pm
I do have big girls. Maybe it's just their friends who are not into college. Could be different in other circles.

But it's starting to all making sense. If the Lakewood pay is so high -even for daycare centers- why bother with college and student loans? At a PCS career advice presentation, they said you can really work your way up, if you choose the right type of office job.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 8:08 pm
amother wrote:
I work in a BP office with several women. 4 years experience at the job. I make approx $26-27 and hour.

I think the amounts paid written in this post are quite low. The cost of living is very high. Babysitting costs $6 an hour. Cleaning ladies charge $13 an hour. I believe I should be earning at least double of what my cleaning lady earns.

Why?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics