Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Uniforms in kindergarten
1  2  Next

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 4:14 am
How do you feel about that? Do you feel like it’s too young and it takes away from their youth?
Additionally, How do you feel about a school that does not have a separate preschool director?

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 4:19 am
Iduno, maybe we should start having uniforms for our newborns, toddlers, etc. It'll save us all a lot of money and there might just be less jealousy to go around.
And all our kids will be matching :-)

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 4:28 am
In England the girls start wearing uniform in reception. Most girls are 4 years old then . I find it the cutest and most practical thing .

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 4:33 am
amother wrote:
How do you feel about that? Do you feel like it’s too young and it takes away from their youth?
Additionally, How do you feel about a school that does not have a separate preschool director?

Best thing ever!!!
Regarding no preschool director, it depends on the size of the school. If it's a huge school, it's a necessity. But if small school, ok if no separate director.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 4:42 am
I even think that Pre 1A is too early for uniforms.

Emotional

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 4:46 am
I love uniforms. The earlier the better. (Not babies obviously 🙄)

Iymnok

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 4:54 am
In Israel they start at 1st grade. That’s because the schools start at 1st, the ganim are separate. Private schools with attached ganim may impliment uniforms earlier. Little girls will have jumpers or dresses instead of the standard button down shirt and pleated skirt.

momX4

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 4:59 am
Depends. Some uniform are in a light color and stain easily. If you allow the kindergarten kids to wear polo shirts in various colors plus the uniform skirt/jumper, then I would be ok with it.

Regarding the preschool director. Will the regular principal have time to deal with all the problems that may come up? Will the preschool be 2-3 classes I'm total, or have parallel classes?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:03 am
No way. Why take away from childhood more and more. Let them be children the whole way through for as long as they can.
Im thankful that my child doesnt have a uniform at all, but if one will start, why not wait till they are sitting at a desk?

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:10 am
The school has 60 kids per grade (2 classes) all the way through and no separate preschool director. They leave it to the Morah’s for the most part

amother
Green

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:23 am
amother wrote:
The school has 60 kids per grade (2 classes) all the way through and no separate preschool director. They leave it to the Morah’s for the most part

The only time I had to ever deal with a preschool director was when my DC repeated a grade.

I know that the director supported the staff and organized all extra curricular activities. Plus I'm sure other things as well, but this is what I as a parent saw.

Reality

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:36 am
I don't like it. The uniforms are way more expensive then the cute outfits are dressed my girls in at that age. They are also less comfortable material.

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:37 am
The 30 kids in a class is more concerning to me then a uniform.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:51 am
Reality wrote:
I don't like it. The uniforms are way more expensive then the cute outfits are dressed my girls in at that age. They are also less comfortable material.

This would be my main objection. I think the idea of uniforms for kindergartners is ridiculous, but I doubt my 4 year old would care. But when the school makes you buy their skirts and jumpers and shirts it gets crazy expensive.. especially for a preschooler who is likely to get it dirty daily.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 5:53 am
The school we send to has uniforms starting in first grade. I love it, makes life so much easier. I wouldn't be opposed to starting in kindergarten, but it does strike me as a bit impractical, since it's still mostly play and messy crafts at that age.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 6:54 am
The BY school I send to switched to uniforms in Kindergarten instead of 1st grade about 10 years ago. This is in-line with Kindergarten not being what it used to be when I was a kid. They are learning how to read and write, so it really is more like elementary school, rather than the playing and project making that Kindergarten used to be (which they still do in Nursery and they don't have uniforms). To clarify, Kindergarten in my city is age 5, not 4 as mentioned by previous posters.

I didn't have a problem with the switch to uniforms a year earlier. I don't have a lot of time to shop and they can still wear cute outfits on Sundays and vacations.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:26 am
amother wrote:

If this is a school in Brooklyn, I know which one you are referring to....
If yes, in kindergarten, they have three classes of 20 kids, since they have half-day upk and need to follow the standards.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:28 am
I have a DD in a well-known Bais Yaakov in Flatbush. Last year she was in kindergarten, and it was the first year they made kindergarten wear uniforms (up until then it was only from pre-1A). I was told the reason was because too many girls were coming to school in leggings and clothes the hanhala was uncomfortable with, so they implemented the change.

I thought it was a little young to see her in a uniform, and her wardrobe certainly wouldn't be a problem, but if they needed it for other kids, what can I do? She doesn't know the difference, and if anything, likes to feel that she matches the older girls on her bus.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 8:19 am
Depends on the uniforms. These ugly dark grey dresses which usually don't fit and make the cutest little girl look like a homeless grandma drive me crazy. And some parents really don't have the money to bring them to get fitted or they're from an older sister etc. I
think kids should wear comfortable clothes, materials which aren't scratchy etc. And dresses shouldn't look like a potato sack. And grey is definitely not a color for little kids. If the uniforms are made from a comfortable material with a pleasing color then I think it's fine.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 8:22 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
No way. Why take away from childhood more and more. Let them be children the whole way through for as long as they can.
Im thankful that my child doesnt have a uniform at all, but if one will start, why not wait till they are sitting at a desk?

What's being taken away from their childhood?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics