Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
MET museum for kohanim?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 11:41 am
My husband generally doesn't go to museums with dead bodies. I just saw there are mummies at the MET. Does anyone go there anyway (sometimes it depends on the construction and layout)? We'll try to ask a shaila but trying to see what people know about the museum layout etc

Please only respond if you know about this topic personally (I know mummies are not Jewish but many kohanim are makbid on that nowadays.)

Alternately, if you know a NY posek we can ask that would be great too.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 2:10 pm
amother wrote:
My husband generally doesn't go to museums with dead bodies. I just saw there are mummies at the MET. Does anyone go there anyway (sometimes it depends on the construction and layout)? We'll try to ask a shaila but trying to see what people know about the museum layout etc

Please only respond if you know about this topic personally (I know mummies are not Jewish but many kohanim are makbid on that nowadays.)

Alternately, if you know a NY posek we can ask that would be great too.

I go to the Met a lot, but I don't know kohan rules. How close can they come etc.? I can try to help you wonde no one eise is answering if you post with specificity.

The DBs are in the Egyptian wing which is out of the way.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 2:55 pm
They do have mummies. The only "kosher" wings are the medieval armory and the egyptian room. What I mean by kosher is that those are the only two wings that don't have naked statues or paintings. Would your dh go to the museum of natural history? same issue. Some people say they store the remains of the unidentified bones from 9/11.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Oct 28 2018, 2:57 pm
amother wrote:
I go to the Met a lot, but I don't know kohan rules. How close can they come etc.? I can try to help you wonde no one eise is answering if you post with specificity.

The DBs are in the Egyptian wing which is out of the way.

Tx so much for trying to help. The problem really would be being under the same "ohel" - roof- as the bodies. But depending on how it's constructed, might be ok. Don't know details.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 4:49 am
Bump

Anyone we can ask a shaila?

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 4:59 am
I dont know about the MET but the Field Museum in Chicago is famous for its mummys and fetus exhibit which are both real issues for kohanim. Once a year they have a “kohen day” where they set it up in some special way to allow kohanim to go.

I’d ask a shailah about the MET.

redheaded

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 5:16 am
Do your own research

I called the museum of natural history. They told me that the mummies on display are copies of their real collection stored in a different building under special tempatures and air quality.

Keep in mind the issue is only Jewish bodies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries