Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Are you not sorry for your time?
1  2  Next

sequoia

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 1:53 pm
If you spend hours arguing; rehashing the words of a celebrity or politician, all of whom thrive on attention; not influencing one single woman, view, or vote; making enemies of acquaintances and bringing coolness where friendship once reigned... who benefits? It is not productive; it cannot be fun.

What satisfaction do you derive?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 2:10 pm
Hearing ourselves talk and imagining how intellectual we are?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 2:15 pm
The desperate hope that we can still turn this country back to the relative calm of the last few decades?

sequoia

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 2:46 pm
This may be banal, but no one ever said on their deathbed, “I wish I’d spent more time arguing on the internet with strangers about late-night talk show hosts whose names I don’t remember.”

Sammy Girl

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
Hearing ourselves talk and imagining how intellectual we are?

Definitely! LOL

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 3:53 pm
I am having these discussions in between wrapping dishes to pack for the move which is one of the more tedious parts of moving.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 3:57 pm
When I klop al cheit, I'm afraid that too many are relevant to my internet usage: zilzul horim u'morim, v'idas zenus, many more.
But the worst thing is the waste of time....

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 4:01 pm
I think that intellectual debate is innately stimulating. I assume there are those who have access to this regularly at their dinner table or over shabbos lunch or whatever. Sadly, I do not. I find that most people I know prefer to talk about the mundane. So this is a rare venue for me to engage with people who enjoy discussing meatier topics. One of my favorite things about imamother actually....

Anon so that nobody who knows me finds out that I think most of the conversation that goes on around me is boring drivel....

sequoia

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 4:03 pm
amother wrote:
I think that intellectual debate is innately stimulating. I assume there are those who have access to this regularly at their dinner table or over shabbos lunch or whatever. Sadly, I do not. I find that most people I know prefer to talk about the mundane. So this is a rare venue for me to engage with people who enjoy discussing meatier topics. One of my favorite things about imamother actually....

Anon so that nobody who knows me finds out that I think most of the conversation that goes on around me is boring drivel....

But at a certain point discussion becomes screaming? All that stuff about stupid morons in the other thread.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 4:09 pm
amother wrote:

This!

I wish we knew each other IRL...

amother
Violet

sequoia wrote:
But at a certain point discussion becomes screaming? All that stuff about stupid morons in the other thread.

Ah, I did not get to the thread you are referring to, but I'm sure I'd agree.... civility is definitely important!

Things do go south pretty frequently, maybe that's why people keep things so basic irl.

If only there were a happy medium.... Crying

amother
Wheat

amother wrote:

I am so different IRL also. Rarely, do I discuss politics or the problems in frum society. I usually talk about what my friends are interested in which is the mundane details of running a house and raising a family and doing chessed. We don't have DMCs.

sequoia

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 4:21 pm
Okay I am beginning to understand Smile

I don’t see my friends as often as I’d like, but we definitely have intellectual conversations when we hang out.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 4:24 pm
I think for some posters, they may get some type of pleasure from putting people down, besting and one upping others, lording their intellectualism over others, denigrating others, etc. A form of narcissism.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:
I think for some posters, they may get some type of pleasure from putting people down, besting and one upping others, lording their intellectualism over others, denigrating others, etc. A form of narcissism.

That's pretty easy to do in a professional setting and make money doing it. It is the ones that don't feel comfortable in their own abilities that think that.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 5:49 pm
amother wrote:
This!

I wish we knew each other IRL...

Same here.... Sad

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Oct 30 2018, 5:57 pm
Also, some people have a real need to assert their dominance at all costs, like being the loudest person in the room at all times. I think some people also express their inner aggressions in this manner, in a way that wouldn't be socially acceptable IRL.

So I don't think it's necessarily the content of the discussion that is important, but rather the emotional and /or psychological needs that some people seem to be filling in this manner. So long as someone is trying to fill an emotional need, he or she won't get bored of it

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:33 am
sequoia wrote:
Okay I am beginning to understand Smile

I don’t see my friends as often as I’d like, but we definitely have intellectual conversations when we hang out.

Politics is not intellectual stimulation. It's solely an emotional debate and useless, pointless, and divisive. There is nothing to understand, Sequoia. You were 100% right at the beginning of this thread. Full stop.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:45 am
amother wrote:

THIS. We need to form a club! Due to my health, I am very often housebound. Imamother is a major social connection for me.

Personally, I love learning from people who disagree with me. It really gets me out of my daled amot and makes me think. If I have something intelligent to say, I'll say it. If I have a thought that is snarky, unkind, or trollish, I do my best to recognize my yetzer hara, and go click on something else. YouTube kitten videos are very helpful at times. Wink

On the other hand, there's really no need for me to post on politics. I just follow Fox and Zaq around, and "like" all of their posts. They say what I'm thinking so much better than I ever could, and they back it up with sources. What's really fun, is when we all agree with
Marina and Six of Wands. It's like watching a comet that only comes around every 89 years or so. Very Happy

InnerMe

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 1:29 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
THIS. We need to form a club! Due to my health, I am very often housebound. Imamother is a major social connection for me.

Personally, I love learning from people who disagree with me. It really gets me out of my daled amot and makes me think. If I have something intelligent to say, I'll say it. If I have a thought that is snarky, unkind, or trollish, I do my best to recognize my yetzer hara, and go click on something else. YouTube kitten videos are very helpful at times. Wink

On the other hand, there's really no need for me to post on politics. I just follow Fox and Zaq around, and "like" all of their posts. They say what I'm thinking so much better than I ever could, and they back it up with sources. What's really fun, is when we all agree with
Marina and Six of Wands. It's like watching a comet that only comes around every 89 years or so. Very Happy

The way you put the bolded made me chuckle. lol. LOL
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics