Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
I'm Seas, ask me anything
  Previous  1  2  3   14  15  16  Next

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 2:17 pm
animeme wrote:
Were you raised with the same hashkafah and derech that you currently have/follow?

Broadly speaking. Obviously everyone is an individual, and especially marriage causes you to be influenced by a whole other family and their way of thinking. Also, a thinking person's hashkafa continuously evolves. But generally speaking, I was brought up with this hashkafa.

octopus

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 2:20 pm
what derech/hashkafa do you follow?

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 2:21 pm
livinginflatbus wrote:
Do you ever think outside the box? Seems to me your thinking is very black and white .

I'm very out of the box (sorry, can't go into detail). But often one has to examine whether all the additional details actually matter to the core issue.

For example, if meat is cooked together with milk it's treif (I'm trying to think of an innocuous example). Now the fact that the person who cooked it was a child, or a harried mother, or a tin ok shenishba, or any other kind of mitigating factor, doesn't really matter. The meat is still treif.

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 2:23 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I think you have a special brain and memory. It's a real gift!
I can read and learn and listen to shiurim and ask my DH ...BUT I'm not able to spit back all the info I've retained. I'm actually impressed that you are able to do that .

Can you tell us what background you come from? Litvish? Chasidish ? None? I'm just curious to know where your strong mindedness and stubborness and sometimes zealousness comes from?

I wish I could spit out even a fraction of what I've heard. But giving an impression of being knowledgeable is an art in itself.

I'm chassidish, and mainly my uncompromising stance comes from my parents. Especially my father.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 2:24 pm
In that case certainly. In others it isn't the case though.

A question: how old are you? (even just a decade)

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 2:26 pm
octopus wrote:
what derech/hashkafa do you follow?

Chassidish, originating from Poland (sorry I'm not more specific). We also have some Satmar leanings, especially on the question of Zionism.

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 2:26 pm
Ruchel wrote:

30-40

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 2:30 pm
What (or who) do you look like? (Please answer with whatever response you are comfortable with, if any).

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 2:31 pm
Ruchel wrote:

I looked for an unambiguously neutral example.

(A more topical and controversial example would be say with a recent event. The fact that x happened, and that the ones it happened to had mitigating circumstances in the background, doesn't change the fact that the meat is treif.)

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 2:33 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
What (or who) do you look like? (Please answer with whatever response you are comfortable with, if any).

Pretty standard BP tznius chassidish veibel. (that's not to say that I do or don't live there.)

naomi2

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 2:41 pm
Why do you keep posting even when you know you will be bashed for whatever you say. If I was always the poster with the unpopular post, I would stop after a while.
(I don't usually mind your posts, and I'm also a very black and white thinker. I don't always agree with you, but a lot of times I do)

Also, do you work and if yes, as what?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 2:45 pm
What sort of head covering do you wear?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 2:55 pm
Seas wrote:
I wish I could spit out even a fraction of what I've heard. But giving an impression of being knowledgeable is an art in itself.

I'm chassidish, and mainly my uncompromising stance comes from my parents. Especially my father.

Thanks for sharing. It makes it easier to sometimes "hear" what a poster is saying when you know where they are coming from or what their background is. So I appreciate that .
Now, you mentioned your uncompromising stance comes from your parents. Did your siblings come away with that same strong uncompromising stance or have any of them done the opposite?

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:12 pm
naomi2 wrote:
Why do you keep posting even when you know you will be bashed for whatever you say. If I was always the poster with the unpopular post, I would stop after a while.
(I don't usually mind your posts, and I'm also a very black and white thinker. I don't always agree with you, but a lot of times I do)

Also, do you work and if yes, as what?

I don't have a single answer. In some cases it's because I feel all the anti-Torah (or even Torah-apathy) posts are a chilul Hashem, and someone has to stand up for Hashem. Other times it's because I feel the truth must out, even if it's unpopular.

Also, I'm eternally optimistic and forever live in the hope that there will be those who can see past their outrage and agree with the truth.

I work with children.

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:12 pm
ra_mom wrote:
What sort of head covering do you wear?

Sheitel with band.

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:16 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Thanks for sharing. It makes it easier to sometimes "hear" what a poster is saying when you know where they are coming from or what their background is. So I appreciate that .
Now, you mentioned your uncompromising stance comes from your parents. Did your siblings come away with that same strong uncompromising stance or have any of them done the opposite?

There's a difference between knowing what's right and doing what's right. All of our siblings (perhaps with the exception of one young one), know what's right, but we each have our individual level where we are in following the right path. I'm not as good as my parents would like me to be, but I don't justify myself by saying their way is wrong.

Non of my siblings have become weaker because they were turned off by our parents' stance, and AFAIK, neither have any of our children.

My parents are very loving and not necessarily rigid in practise (especially my mother), but are both absolutely uncompromising in their beliefs.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:24 pm
Seas wrote:
There's a difference between knowing what's right and doing what's right. All of our siblings (perhaps with the exception of one young one), know what's right, but we each have our individual level where we are in following the right path. I'm not as good as my parents would like me to be, but I don't justify myself by saying their way is wrong.

Non of my siblings have become weaker because they were turned off by our parents' stance, and AFAIK, neither have any of our children.

My parents are very loving and not necessarily rigid in practise (especially my mother), but are both absolutely uncompromising in their beliefs.

That's really amazing.
Can I tell you where I really thought you "came from"?
For some reason I had this impression that you were a descendant from Reb Yaakov Yosef Meir Herman, (from the book All for the Boss). Take it as a compliment.

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:28 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
That's really amazing.
Can I tell you where I really thought you "came from"?
For some reason I had this impression that you were a descendant from Reb Yaakov Yosef Meir Herman, (from the book All for the Boss). Take it as a compliment.

It is a compliment. Though he was a misnaged/litvak through and through. Very Happy

Coffee Addict

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:31 pm
Seas, this thread is quite enlightening. Thanks for sharing. Although I don’t agree with you lots of times , I appreciate your honesty Wink

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:32 pm
Seas wrote:
It is a compliment. Though he was a misnaged/litvak through and through. Very Happy

I know, that's what makes it funny.
Page 2 of 16   Previous  1  2  3   14  15  16  Next Recent Topics