Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Fair camera policy?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 11:11 am
What do you think is a fair policy regarding students who are busy with their camera during class?

Officially in my sudents' hanbooks (high school), the rule is that if a camera is out during class, it will be confiscated. The school says they asked a sheila and were told that as long as it's in the handbook, we are even allowed to confiscate and not return. In the end though, they leave that to the teacher's discretion.

Another thing that comes up is that somehow the camera never belongs to the student from whom it was confiscated. That puts the teacher in a difficult situation.

To those of you who are not "in the trenches " this might sound petty, but fellow teachers (I've spoken to many) acknowledge that this is an ongoing issue.

So I'm curious as to what others here think is fair?

Wanted to add that I am an experienced hs teacher with no classroom management issues. Somehow though, this comes up. Teenagers and their cameras are just a thing... .

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 11:25 am
amother wrote:
What do you think is a fair policy regarding students who are busy with their camera during class?

Officially in my sudents' hanbooks (high school), the rule is that if a camera is out during class, it will be confiscated. The school says they asked a sheila and were told that as long as it's in the handbook, we are even allowed to confiscate and not return. In the end though, they leave that to the teacher's discretion.

Another thing that comes up is that somehow the camera never belongs to the student from whom it was confiscated. That puts the teacher in a difficult situation.

To those of you who are not "in the trenches " this might sound petty, but fellow teachers (I've spoken to many) acknowledge that this is an ongoing issue.

So I'm curious as to what others here think is fair?

Wanted to add that I am an experienced hs teacher with no classroom management issues. Somehow though, this comes up. Teenagers and their cameras are just a thing... .

In my school we have a phone problem. Each classrom has a shoe bag for the phones. I can't say I'm so good about enforcing it but if I see a phone out I put it in there or place it on my desk until after class. If it happens to the same girl again I give to the office for the day. Sometimes I don't want to interupt class so while I'm teaching I might say if you have your phone out please quickly put it away so I don't have to take it and continue my lesson.

Why don't you enforce a system where if you catch it once you take it for the period but if you catch her again with it it'll be confiscated? It doesn't matter whose camera it is. If the girl reallt cared about her friends belongings she wouldn't have taken it out during class in the first place.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 11:33 am
I would take it till the end of the day.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 11:36 am
Are they in 12th grade? Are they busy with yearbook?
I tell eighth graders that if we finish the lesson early they can have time to take pics and discuss. Other times the best idea was said by aqua. Take for lesson or day. And if continues give to division head and student shiuld pick it up from there. Yes we are allowed to confiscate for good but do we really want to?

icedcoffee

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 12:53 pm
In my school with the cell phones, the first time is a warning, the second time you have the option to either hand it in for 3 days or get a suspension. I wouldn't care if it doesn't belong to the person using it - obviously the real owner gave it to them to use (or else they stole it which is a totally separate issue).

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 1:15 pm
As a student, I never trusted teachers who would take away electronics and not give them back. As a teacher, my policy with electronics has always been that I confiscate it and then give it back at the end of the day. I have students who are allowed to use iPads in class because they don't speak English (I'm a public school teacher). I will take away the iPad if they are doing other things on it, which they often are.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 1:30 pm
OP here. I appreciate all the responses. I especially appreciate that they are all real and practical. I've read other thread where people suggested things to teachers where you could tell that they were never in a classroom!

My situation is that I am the type of hs teacher that really doesn't deal with discipline. I just teach an interesting class that I love teaching and sort of cant be bothered to deal with the nitty gritty pettiness of "punishing ". Thankfully the girls like the subject and it is challenging enough to keep them on their toes so I dont have to deal with talking (the usual high school teacher's dilemma.

So it came as a surprise that this camera thing has come up more than once. Maybe students dont realize that its disruptive because they are not talking......

To me, since I teach a few classes, it feels like a real bother to start remembering which girl in which class was already warned. They shouldn't need a warning. It is a clear school rule.

When I confiscated the camera just for the day, it felt like the girls just didn't take it seriously. They weren't going to do much with it on that day anyway. And maybe because other teachers keep it for longer, it seemed like they had gotten away with things.

On the other hand, it's really not my type to hold on to something that doesn't belong to me.....

Dont know why I'm thinking into this so much........

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 1:35 pm
Can you tell them to place their cameras on your desk as they are walking in?

Optione

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 1:40 pm
I had this issue with a different item. My rule was if I see it out I take it until the end of the week. That means that the child who got it taken away on Monday and the child who got it taken away on Thursday both got it given back at the end of Friday. This went on for 2 weeks, and then most of it cleared up. If a kid slacked off about the rule, though, I kept my word.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:
Can you tell them to place their cameras on your desk as they are walking in?

I actually walk into their classroom. But even if I didn't, I feel like the school's rule, that they shouldn't be allowed to have it out, is reasonable. No need for a high school teacher to waste limited time to have to make them put it on her desk.

I guess I'm looking to set a policy. Just trying to figure out what it should be without me having to be too busy with it or it contradicting the school's policy.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 1:44 pm
I would do:

First time: She can come get it from you at the end of the day.
Second time: She can get it from you on Monday.
Third time:She has to go get it from the principal.

Make sure the girls know your policy ahead of time.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 1:46 pm
Optione wrote:
I had this issue with a different item. My rule was if I see it out I take it until the end of the week. That means that the child who got it taken away on Monday and the child who got it taken away on Thursday both got it given back at the end of Friday. This went on for 2 weeks, and then most of it cleared up. If a kid slacked off about the rule, though, I kept my word.

This makes me think that maybe I need to put in some time being busy with this (really dislike this part of teaching) to show that I take it seriously and this investment will help for the rest of the year.

Still feel funny holding onto someone else's thing especially if it wasn't the student from whom I took it...... but might just have to be done.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 1:47 pm
amother wrote:
I would do:

First time: She can come get it from you at the end of the day.
Second time: She can get it from you on Monday.
Third time:She has to go get it from the principal.

Make sure the girls know your policy ahead of time.

This sounds good, if you only teach one or two classes....

I know I sound like I'm just rejecting ideas, but really just trying to zero in on what can work for me.

Simple1

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 1:48 pm
To confiscate without return is not reasonable. It's an expensive item and might have been a huge deal to buy, and besides it might be the parents who suffer the most, like if it was a family camera. Maybe take it away for a few days?

Sorry I'm not a teacher, but the mothers' point of view is also important to consider.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 2:12 pm
Quote:

I know I sound like I'm just rejecting ideas, but really just trying to zero in on what can work for me.

Just put a small mark in your roll book next to the girls name whenever it happens.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:

Just put a small mark in your roll book next to the girls name whenever it happens.

My college professor did similar. She said that every time she sees your phone, you get a demerit. After 3 demerits, she lowers your grade.

It worked very well.

Miri7

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 2:40 pm
At our school, the device is confiscated and then may be retrieved from the front office by a parent. Typically, kids only make the mistake once because parents really dislike having to go into the office to get it back.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 2:45 pm
Again, I appreciate these ideas, just trying to find one that resonates with my teaching style.

I'm really not a "leave my roll book open waiting to mark you down" type of teacher". Also does anyone else get what I mean by that I dont want to set up a system that makes me very busy with all this? I need to get past it, not start a whole bookkeeping system.

Even as I write all this, I know I'm just going to have to choose between being tough (not my style) or getting all busy with it (also not my style. Was hoping for some brilliant idea..

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 2:45 pm
Simple1 wrote:
To confiscate without return is not reasonable. It's an expensive item and might have been a huge deal to buy, and besides it might be the parents who suffer the most, like if it was a family camera. Maybe take it away for a few days?

Sorry I'm not a teacher, but the mothers' point of view is also important to consider.

Yup. That's why I'm asking on a forum with many mothers.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 2:47 pm
Miri7 wrote:
At our school, the device is confiscated and then may be retrieved from the front office by a parent. Typically, kids only make the mistake once because parents really dislike having to go into the office to get it back.

Hmm. This is a new idea. It might work, but I need to check with the principal. What do other mothers think?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics