Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Social Work
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 12:03 pm
Hi all,

My 20 year old sister would like to go for higher education. She's a very intuitive, empathetic, intelligent person, who people naturally confide in, so she's thinking that social work would be a good field for her.

I'd like to learn more about the field. Is it flooded? How long does the process of becoming a social worker take? How much can she expect to earn if she works at a clinic? If anyone got their degree through either TTI or Sara Schenirer, please share your experience.

Any info would be very helpful. TIA!

Last edited by amother on Thu, Aug 22 2019, 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 1:22 pm
Very flooded. Hard to get jobs. after graduate school, take a test, get LSW, work 2-3 years with supervision, take another test, LCSW. Renewing your license every two years costs money, continuing education every two years costs money, tests cost money. A lot of jobs are by the hour with no benefits and no job security. You are held to a higher standard then any other professional. Nobody discusses and criticizes speech therapists, special educators, nutritionists, etc. like they do mental health professionals and bad mouthes them to referral organizations. It sounds very noble but can be very brutal in the trenches and if you want to be effective, you need to be in therapy yourself (more $).

1untamedgirl

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 1:46 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
Hi all,

My 19 year old sister would like to go for higher education. She's a very intuitive, empathetic, intelligent person, who people naturally confide in, so she's thinking that social work would be a good field for her.

I'd like to learn more about the field. Is it flooded? How long does the process of becoming a social worker take? How much can she expect to earn if she works at a clinic? If anyone got their degree through either TTI or Sara Schenirer, please share your experience.

Any info would be very helpful. TIA!

If she doesn't have her degree yet then she should look into getting a casac certificate at Kingsborough then transfer to the BSW program at Hunter College. This way, she gets certified as a casac counselor and can work at substance abuse agencies while completing her BSW. Once she has her BSW then she can get her MSW in one year instead of two years and get over it quicker. The field is flooded but she can get specialized training in DBT, EFT, EMDR, etc in order to stand out and offer clients something that many therapists don't offer.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 2:32 pm
If she wants to be a therapist - why not encourage her to become a psychologist?

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 2:50 pm
amother wrote:
If she wants to be a therapist - why not encourage her to become a psychologist?

Because it takes much longer.

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 2:50 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:
If she doesn't have her degree yet then she should look into getting a casac certificate at Kingsborough then transfer to the BSW program at Hunter College. This way, she gets certified as a casac counselor and can work at substance abuse agencies while completing her BSW. Once she has her BSW then she can get her MSW in one year instead of two years and get over it quicker. The field is flooded but she can get specialized training in DBT, EFT, EMDR, etc in order to stand out and offer clients something that many therapists don't offer.

Yjis.
I know someone that did this as well/

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 2:52 pm
cnc wrote:
Because it takes much longer.

She’s 19. Life is ahead.

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 2:53 pm
amother wrote:
She’s 19. Life is ahead.

Time is $$ as well.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 3:01 pm
cnc wrote:
Time is $$ as well.

If the goal is to be a therapist (social workers do lots of other things) - which has more earning power?

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 4:04 pm
There’s so much to do besides therapy with social work if she doesn’t want to get licensed. But, a bachelor’s at the point is useless- she’ll need to eventually get a MSW.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 5:27 pm
phd psychologist gets paid much more. A 19 year old girl contemplating Sara Schenirer or TTI instead of the cheaper local colleges would probably be in a for a major shock dealing with substance abuse.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 6:16 pm
There’s also a lot burnout. Personally I don’t recommend it.

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 6:40 pm
oneofakind wrote:
phd psychologist gets paid much more. A 19 year old girl contemplating Sara Schenirer or TTI instead of the cheaper local colleges would probably be in a for a major shock dealing with substance abuse.

OP here. My sister is not a naive person at all. She's been exposed to a whole lot of dysfunction and unhealthy behaviors.

The reason she wants to go through Sara Schenirer or TTI is because they are fast tracked. It takes faster to get your degree through them than through nonjewish colleges. Therefore, they end up being cheaper than nonjewish colleges. Is she wrong in thinking this?

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 6:42 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:

Thank you so much for this suggestion!

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 6:48 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
OP here. My sister is not a naive person at all. She's been exposed to a whole lot of dysfunction and unhealthy behaviors.

The reason she wants to go through Sara Schenirer or TTI is because they are fast tracked. It takes faster to get your degree through them than through nonjewish colleges. Therefore, they end up being cheaper than nonjewish colleges. Is she wrong in thinking this?

Does she want higher education, or a peice of paper?

nia73

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 6:49 pm
Hi. I am a qualified supervisor for social workers who are seeking licensure and mentor quite a few people in her situation BH. Pm me and can guide you guys in the proper direction. (FYI: Byh I did the long route to the end BS in psychology, MSW, LCSW <Florida>, and PhD after about 5 years of clinical practice).

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 7:16 pm
Speaking from experience , the field is extremely flooded. Touro and other programs have received grants and are offering full scholarships. Many new graduates are opening private practices left right and center. I personally know of individuals that are struggling to make ends meet, including 2 psychologists. Once upon a time , one could further their education and become well versed in a specific disorder or treatment modality, which enabled them to find their niche, thereby offering higher compensation. Today , those looking for help follow referral agencies or simply try the most cost effective route for treatment. It is extremely difficult to sustain oneself on a social work salary. As a second income it is a very fulfilling proffesion. I’ve heard the refrain “ had I known ...” , one time too many. Best of luck to your sister.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 8:01 pm
I’m not the op but I’m in a similar situation and I hear your warnings loud and clear. If the field is as flooded as you all make it out to be, then what other field would you suggest someone having those qualities get into?
I believe that doing what comes natural to you makes work-life a whole lot easier.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

nia73

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 8:57 pm
It is not for everyone, but work with the aging population/medical social work is not as low paying as others nor as demanding once you become well versed in interdisciplinary care. We are on the low end of the medical model hierarchy and must assert ourselves, but it still is a niche that is open to many. Again, certain aspects are just not for everyone.

As far as private practice, VERY over crowded and monopolized by big substance abuse, community behavioral health agencies, you name it. They have waiting lists while the private practitioners are scrambling for the scraps. Lots of lobbying in the field of social work but still low pay, very minimal respect in mental health and over worked in other specialties like education and child welfare.

My advise: those qualities vibe well with the elderly population. It does not have to be in social work. A career to sustain yourself/family may not be on the surface what your "nature or tendencies/talents" lead you towards. Most people switch majors in college to social sciences thinking of 1) altruism or 2) an easy degree. But the job is hard, pay is low, and respect is minimal.

If she can take that altruistic mentality and be a leader (think administration) the pay will come faster. She will not be in the ditches with the clinicians/have clinical experience but may have more insight and passion to be patient/client centered.

sub

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:07 pm
1ofbillions wrote:

If she is eligible for fafsa then city college is cheaper. Might take longer but is fully covered and in some cases recieves money to help pay for books etc. of course this only for BA.
Would she be interested in radiology?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics