Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Teachers Maternity leave
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 4:51 pm
For how long is it normal for teachers to get maternity leave? I thought they get 6 weeks.
My daughters teacher is on Maternity leave and the principal said they give 2 months. My daughters class does not like their substitute and its affecting her work, the sub is not teaching in such an interesting way. Is it right for teachers to get 2 months??
I live in New York if it matters.

Ravenclaw

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 4:57 pm
Legally an employee can take off up to three months for maternity leave without getting fired. Most people I know though only take six weeks because they can’t afford to lose that much pay. But if a teacher wants to take longer then they are allowed to (legally).

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 4:58 pm
It’s too bad that the sub isn’t great, but it’s the teacher’s right to take as much leave as is offered.

Metukah

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 5:03 pm
I don't think it's fair that you are begrudging a hard working teacher, such a short 'break'. It's not a vacation, it's a time for her to recover. 2 months is not that long.

Where I live we get a 9 month paid maternity leave. Most teachers take off at least 3 or 4 months.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 5:18 pm
My kids teachers go back after six weeks and I think it's terrible. Teaching is draining, having a newborn is draining, it's just not ideal. I really feel bad for them. If there's a good substitute, 6 weeks or 10 weeks shouldn't make a difference, and the class might be better off waiting until the teacher is stronger less exhausted. Definitely talk to the principal if you're unhappy with the substitute.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 5:53 pm
Teachers have the same right to maternity leave as anyone else. If she's covered by FMLA, that means up to 12 weeks (unpaid, so that's probably why she's coming back sooner). In another country, it could be even longer. That's life, teachers are people who have lives just like the rest of us.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 6:39 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

trixx

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:35 pm
amother wrote:
For how long is it normal for teachers to get maternity leave? I thought they get 6 weeks.
My daughters teacher is on Maternity leave and the principal said they give 2 months. My daughters class does not like their substitute and its affecting her work, the sub is not teaching in such an interesting way. Is it right for teachers to get 2 months??

I think they should get even longer.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:39 pm
amother wrote:

If your principal (really the board) give a year - then she gets a year. In this case 2 months.

This is not a right or wrong.

If you have issue with the sub - complain about that.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:46 pm
amother wrote:

the difference between 6 weeks and 2 months is an extra 2 weeks. they'll survive 2 more weeks. . anyway what exactly can you do about it? Its their choice.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:53 pm
Teaching is a job. Teachers care about their students and sacrifice for them all the time. But teaching is a job. Each teacher has a whole other world that exists beyond the classroom. Your daughter’s teacher is so much more than just her teacher. Please don’t begrudge her being a mother for TWO extra weeks.

Signed,

An extremely professional teacher that absolutely adores her students and is devoted to her school, but is a wife and mommy first.

simba

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 7:57 pm
Are you really complaining about a 8 week maternity leave? That is minimal amount of time needed to just come out of the throes of foginess and go to the Mikvah and feel human again.

It is the schools responsibility to have a proper subsitute.

Last edited by simba on Mon, Jan 07 2019, 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:01 pm
Excuse me Simba, there's no need to shame me for asking a question in a nice way. Shame on you for shaming me. Not every thread has to turn into insults. I dont think theres anything wrong with the way I asked the question.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:02 pm
When I was working full time I barely got 6 weeks. Do most women working in offices get more than 6 weeks in NY?

gilamom

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:12 pm
Just curious, is the sub's name Mrs. R? Because my DD recently had an awful experience with their sub and the comments she was repeating were so outlandish they seemed untruthful until I finally spoke to other parents and they all heard the same stories. B'h we all spoke to the principal and that was the end of that.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:16 pm
No, her name is not Mrs. R.
I wonder if it makes sense to talk to the Principal about it? The girls are really falling behind with their work, she doesnt send home their weekly newsletters and parsha sheets, she doesnt give homework..

sub

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:19 pm
Yes, it’s frustrating even more so if they have a teacher they liked. However the students won’t always have an interesting teacher. Nor will they always have a teacher they like. This is a great opportunity to show your daughter how to forge ahead even if the situation is not what you expect. A teacher should not return until she absolutely has the strength both physically and emotionally to do so.
ETA
Just read what you wrote about falling behind. Yes please do talk to principal to see what is going on. A six week substitute needs to teach and be on track.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:26 pm
amother wrote:
Teaching is a job. Teachers care about their students and sacrifice for them all the time. But teaching is a job. Each teacher has a whole other world that exists beyond the classroom. Your daughter’s teacher is so much more than just her teacher. Please don’t begrudge her being a mother for TWO extra weeks.

Signed,

An extremely professional teacher that absolutely adores her students and is devoted to her school, but is a wife and mommy first.

So well said! As a teacher, I hate taking off because I know that my students are losing out by it, and in many ways its easier to come in and teach than leave plans for a sub, and pick up the pieces after. However, teachers are still human. We need to recover when we are sick or have a baby, and we don't always manage to plan it for vacation. A teacher who comes back before she's really ready will also be doing your daughter a disservice because she won't be all there. Everyone is shocked that I only plan on taking the 6 weeks of disability not the full 12 allowed by FMLA that every other profession takes (especially in NY where it's now paid).

Signed,
A teacher who does her best, even getting married over vacation, but is unavoidably going to be missing 6 weeks of school this year.

simba

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:42 pm
amother wrote:
Excuse me Simba, there's no need to shame me for asking a question in a nice way. Shame on you for shaming me. Not every thread has to turn into insults. I dont think theres anything wrong with the way I asked the question.

I’m just so surprised that anyone would have a problem with someone taking an 8 week maternity leave. In most countries it is a lot longer and it is well deserved. Most people would be thrilled for the teacher and complain about the school putting in a poor substitute. Not the other way around.
Btw, you can google this info as to what is legal maternity leave per state.
It used to be 6 weeks. As of January 2018 that changed.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 07 2019, 8:44 pm
Simba, you being surprised is still no reason to shame me.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children