Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Teachers Maternity leave
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 12:20 pm
amother wrote:
Ravenclaw, I said in previous posts that I have gone back to a full time job after barely 6 weeks, and so have many women I know.
Teaching is a part time job.

First of all, teaching is not always part time. Plenty work full time. Yes, many women return at six weeks because they have no choice. That doesn't make it ok. Literally nowhere else in the world forces mothers to return so early, only the US. Also, you said you're in NY. NY has new laws now. Starting last year, it was 8 weeks guaranteed paid leave. As of last week, it's now 10 weeks paid, and in 2021 it will be 12 weeks paid. So if you have a baby now, you won't have to go back at 6 weeks anymore.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 12:37 pm
Oh wow, I did not know that.
But because we need to take off all yamim Tovim, many women dont get paid in full for maternity leave.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 12:38 pm
pause wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't get the connection between returning to work and mikva???

I was also wondering.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:
But because we need to take off all yamim Tovim, many women dont get paid in full for maternity leave.

That would be illegal - the pay is coming from the state for the maternity leave.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 12:45 pm
American maternity leave policies are abysmal. I think they are literally one of the worst in first world countries. I get 4 months fully paid. He 4 months is mandated by the government. The fully paid is a perk my job offers. Although if your employer doesn’t pay you, you are eligable for a percentage of your salary from the gov’t. I live in South Africa and cannot imagine going back to work at 6 weeks. Like literally that sounds crazy insane to me.
So when I read is 8 weeks normal? I’m thinking no!!! That’s way to short.

And my babies don’t even go to a daycare. They stay in our cozy home with my amazing nanny.

So I guess it’s all a matter of perspective.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 12:57 pm
But how can teachers get 4 months?
There was a teacher in my neighbors girls school that was told not to come back this year because she had a baby every 15 months and was sick most if the pregnancy. She ended up missing so much of the school year that the girls and mothers where complaining and she was let go.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 1:36 pm
amother wrote:
Ravenclaw, I said in previous posts that I have gone back to a full time job after barely 6 weeks, and so have many women I know.

First, many teachers work full time in the school, doing something else when they are not teaching.
Second, the classroom hours may be part time, but teaching is not part time at all. Teachers need to prep, mark, work with parents....

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 1:44 pm
I do think it's an issue in frum schools where many teachers have lots of kids close together. If the school has to pay the teacher plus the sub while the teacher is on maternity leave for 3 months during the school year for multiple grades it can get expensive. I would think it's also hard in small communities to find so many qualified subs if many teachers are out on maternity leave. Not to mention teachers not feeling well during pregnancy and postpartum. I don't know the answer.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 1:53 pm
Amother Ruby, not everyone is cut out for teaching. If a women has kids close in age and is sick most of the time and has to take off, why is she a teacher?? That's not fair to the school & students.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:06 pm
amother wrote:
But how can teachers get 4 months?
There was a teacher in my neighbors girls school that was told not to come back this year because she had a baby every 15 months and was sick most if the pregnancy. She ended up missing so much of the school year that the girls and mothers where complaining and she was let go.

Pretty sure thats illegal, certaintly where I live it is.

Also 4-6 months is a good time to settle in with the sub teacher & adjust, better for the kids than 6 weeks of disruption.

Should also be a judgement call, like a teacher due in oct shouldnt start the year with the class, she should switch in in Jan or something

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:08 pm
amother wrote:
I do think it's an issue in frum schools where many teachers have lots of kids close together. If the school has to pay the teacher plus the sub while the teacher is on maternity leave for 3 months during the school year for multiple grades it can get expensive.

The school pays the sub only, the teacher is paid by the government/state

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:45 pm
Amother peach, are you sure that in NY teachers get paid maternity leave by the government? I never heard of that. The government gives the money to the school to give to the teacher?? Maybe the school just pockets the money....

morah.coffee

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:52 pm
amother wrote:
Amother peach, are you sure that in NY teachers get paid maternity leave by the government? I never heard of that. The government gives the money to the school to give to the teacher?? Maybe the school just pockets the money....

Same question- cuz if the gov't pays I would definitely like to know that being that it is very pertenant Smile

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:59 pm
Just wanted to bring my perspective:
I am a teacher currently on maternity leave. I am hoping to be able to go to the mikva before I go back to school, not because of healing, but I find that the stress and anxiety of counting/getting to the mikva postpartum is hard enough, and I can't imagine having that along with the stress from teaching. (Not that I would take extra leave just so I should be post-mikva, just explaining why I would want to be. Especially now, when I teach afternoons and the zman is so early.)

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 4:00 pm
The money goes directly to the person taking leave. The employer's only role is that they are legally obligated to allow the leave.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 4:02 pm
morah.coffee wrote:
Same question- cuz if the gov't pays I would definitely like to know that being that it is very pertenant Smile

https://paidfamilyleave.ny.gov.....apply

Its the school's insurance provider - if doesn't have, its the state.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:

Maybe in some schools for some teachers, but I work 8-4, (not counting the work at home even). That is most definitely full time. So glad I can educate you about the way other communities work.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 4:38 pm
amother wrote:

Because I get all my vacations given as a teacher, I'm only given a total of 5 personal/sick days, so we don't come out so ahead, no fear!

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 4:40 pm
morah.coffee wrote:
As a teacher myself, my school gives unpaid 6 weeks. I plan to also use all my vacation days in addition.
I don't know how it will be humanly possible to come back to a stressful job which requires mostly work at home, and a lot of physical energy in school after a C-section and a baby who will be born and goes straight to the NICU. I don't even know if after the 6 weeks my baby will even be home with us, let alone worry about preparing, grading, etc.
Legally, I would not lose my job and it is the schools responsibility to have a competent substitute. Obviously I feel bad for the school and my students, but as a PP said, a teacher is also a wife and a mommy and has a whole life outside her classroom. When I told my principal about my maternity leave her response was that the most important thing we can teach our students is that a being a Jewish mother is the most beautiful and important thing a woman can do, and what better way to teach that to our students than have their teachers role model that for them.

P.S. this is coming from a teacher who commuted for nearly 3 hours each direction for her job after she got married in the middle of the year because she felt it was not right to leave the school and the students mid-year. Teachers are extremely dedicated to their students, but then there are always situations in life which will become more important.

I could have written this post including the PS Smile. I'm sure some family members think they've discovered my SN now.

Ravenclaw

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 5:05 pm
I hate when people say teaching is a part time job. Look, maybe in some ways. But I spend AT LEAST as much time at home marking and preparing as I do standing in front of the class teaching. Lately with report cards coming up I have been spending more hours working at home than in the classroom.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children