Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Peeled potatoes turned brown... will it taste yukky?

DVOM

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:56 am
Good morning!

I peeled some potatoes this morning and accidently left them out. I ran home on a break from work to find that they'd turned a nasty shade of black/brown. I googled this: it's safe to eat. Question is, will it have a weird taste? I'm planning on pureeing them and mixing them with chop meat to make meat balls, so I don't think anyone would notice the color. I don't want to use them though if they have a weird flavor.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 10:58 am
What if you peel them again?

goodmorning

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:00 am
There is no change to the taste IME. Use them!

DVOM

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 11:00 am
goodmorning wrote:
There is no change to the taste IME. Use them!

Yay! Thank you! I really didn't want to re-peel/peel new ones.

levlongnprosper

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 1:34 pm
DVOM wrote:
Good morning!

I peeled some potatoes this morning and accidently left them out. I ran home on a break from work to find that they'd turned a nasty shade of black/brown. I googled this: it's safe to eat. Question is, will it have a weird taste? I'm planning on pureeing them and mixing them with chop meat to make meat balls, so I don't think anyone would notice the color. I don't want to use them though if they have a weird flavor.

I've done this several times :-) they're safe to eat, no change in flavor, only downside is the color change but since you're making meatballs that's not an issue.

To prevent this, put peeled or chapped potatoes in a bowl or pt of water as you peel or chop them. Same with shredded potatoes. It prevents the discoloration!

oliveoil

Post Mon, Jan 14 2019, 6:08 pm
I'll be the voice of dissent. We made a ton of potato kugel one Pesach and there wasn't space to put them all in the oven immediately. The ones we left out turned that nasty brown/black and we baked them anyway hoping for the best. They tasted awful and we ended up throwing them out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics