Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
$2,250 a month for rent, not including washing machine/dryer
1  2  Next

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:24 pm
DH and I are seriously considering moving to a part of town where the rent would be $2,250 a month for a two bedroom, one bathroom apartment. The apartment is on a busy street and basically the entire block is a "no standing zone". Parking spots are available at a nearby shul for an additional $150-$250. Not exactly sure about that price but in that range. The apartment does not have a washer or dryer so laundry would need to be done at a laundromat (adding to the cost of our monthly spending) or at nearby family. Is this positively insane? I think so, but since we will benefit from this neighborhood (other than its insane cost of living), is it worth it? If you are in such a financial situation, how do you do it?

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:28 pm
This is an absolutely insane crazy amount for a 2 bedroom apartment! Oh my! I would not pay this amount.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:33 pm
Sounds like a lot to me. It's hard for me to know just how "much more" it is compared to the cost of an apartment in a better priced area (without moving cities).
I pay about 1400 a month for a 4 bedroom, two bathrooms apt in Lakewood.

stillnewlywed

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:36 pm
That sounds ridiculous! But if you can afford it and the pros outweigh the cons then go for it.
I rent a nice 2 bedroom apartment with washer/dryer and parking in driveway for $800 a month in lakewood.

amother
White

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:37 pm
I pay this much for a 1 bedroom. It completely depends on the area! Where I am, and for what we're getting, it's a steal. It all just depends what % of your income it is and what you can comfortably afford and what the other options are in the area.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:59 pm
The not having a washing machine would throw me off big time.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 10:59 pm
I absolutely would not take an apartment that does not have place for washer/dryer. Sometimes loads need to be done in the middle of the night. The inconvenience of shlepping heavy laundry, then carrying wet stuff home so I could hang it to dry..... plus the time spent in the laundromat waiting for
the loads. Too difficult in my opinion.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:04 pm
amother wrote:
DH and I are seriously considering moving to a part of town where the rent would be $2,250 a month for a two bedroom, one bathroom apartment. The apartment is on a busy street and basically the entire block is a "no standing zone". Parking spots are available at a nearby shul for an additional $150-$250. Not exactly sure about that price but in that range. The apartment does not have a washer or dryer so laundry would need to be done at a laundromat (adding to the cost of our monthly spending) or at nearby family. Is this positively insane? I think so, but since we will benefit from this neighborhood (other than its insane cost of living), is it worth it? If you are in such a financial situation, how do you do it?

Since you're asking for opinions from anonymous people who have very little insight to your particular circumstances, I'll chime in with mine.

I think it's positively insane to spend so much on a rental, on a 2 bedroom, no parking and no washer/dresser no less. If I were to have to spend that amount, I'd be looking into buying my own home and getting some return on that money.

mig100

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:14 pm
Op u don't give enough information.

If this apt is in brooklyn or Manhattan and ur moving there since one of u has a well paying job and it would save commute time that would change the picture

There could b many other deciding factors

It's totally ridiculous to take advice from people who know nothing about ur situation. Comparing Lakewood to other neighborhoods ( that possibly have better job opportunities 4 u) is even more rediculous.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:16 pm
The pros would have to be pretty major...

Besides for the cost, are you sure you will be able to handle the tight quarters, laundry situation and lack of parking? I recently had to do the laundromat thing for 2 months and it's not something I'd ever want to sign up for long term.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:18 pm
Hi, this is the OP. We are considering moving to this neighborhood for the kollel there. My job pays $19 an hour and my husband will receive a monthly kollel check of $800. My parents support us as well, yet are not very excited about this move, as our cost of living will increase significantly.

tweety1

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:18 pm
It sounds like a lot to me but can't really answer with out knowing which neighborhood you're talking abt. For instance, in brooklyn it's considered expensive v. In Manhattan not so. So maybe provide us with location we can give you a better idea.

amother
White

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:19 pm
^ OP you didn't go on anonymous. With that information I would change my response to say absolutely DO NOT pay that amount!!! That would be a bad choice given your financial situation.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:23 pm
amother wrote:
Hi, this is the OP. We are considering moving to this neighborhood for the kollel there. My job pays $19 an hour and my husband will receive a monthly kollel check of $800. My parents support us as well, yet are not very excited about this move, as our cost of living will increase significantly.

I think it would be irresponsible of you to move there. That's is an insane amount to pay or ANY apt unless you are making big bucks. It's wrong to make a move like this significantly increasing your expenses on someone else's cheshbon.

lucky14

Post Sun, Feb 24 2019, 11:41 pm
amother wrote:
I think it would be irresponsible of you to move there. That's is an insane amount to pay or ANY apt unless you are making big bucks. It's wrong to make a move like this significantly increasing your expenses on someone else's cheshbon.

Agree. Especially since your parents aren't so happy about the decision. You aren't making enough to afford it. I don't feel like this is wise or right to do. It doesn't sound like there's enough of a reason to NEED to make such a move, just that it would be nicer for you to live there...

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 12:24 am
Im looking now for an apartment in boro park, 2250 + $250 for parking for a 2 bedroom without a w/d is a crazy amount.

Do not take it, and of course not with that salary that you are making.

I wouldn't take it even if my pay check would of been $800 a week.

justmarried

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:05 am
I live in Brooklyn, and that sounds like the going price for a 2 bedroom apt in my area.

However not having a washer dryer would be a game changer. I would never rent an apt without one. That’s something that can affect on a daily basis.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:13 am
amother wrote:
Im looking now for an apartment in boro park, 2250 + $250 for parking for a 2 bedroom without a w/d is a crazy amount.

Do not take it, and of course not with that salary that you are making.

I wouldn't take it even if my pay check would of been $800 a week.

$800/week is not a lot!

oliveoil

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 1:14 am
amother wrote:

To live in such an apartment when you are are earning so minimally makes absolutely no sense. It's pure financial irresponsibility.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Feb 25 2019, 2:15 am
It sounds like you have a pretax income of
$3840 a month. It would take a lot of parental help to afford this apartment (which doesn't sound too great). Is there a reason you are living someplace so expensive with such a low income?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics