Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Does my toddler daughter have sensory issues?
1  2  Next

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:15 am
Some days I can get super frustrated at my 2 yr dd.
I need to vent a little and if anyone has any experience with this type of behavior please comment. I am giving few examples:
- When we were in the car this morning on the way to work she got frustrated first because something uchy was on her coat then because she wanted her coat closed then she wanted it open - I had to figure that all out for her.
- Yesterday she wanted more OJ (for the 3rd time) I told her no she has to eat supper first.
She had a whole fit and tried to throw the whole supper on the floor...I gave her a drink of water in the cup she wanted and threw it across the floor so it all spilled.
- She is constantly climbing on the table while my other kid is coloring and throw each and every crayon/marker into the garbage.
- She refuses to have her hair made - if I get her to finally allow me to make her hair, it can only can be a braid
- She sometimes has a real hard time getting dressed unless she is in the mood... she also hates taking off her coat in the afternoon when we get home..
- When I go to on a errand with her she refuses to go in the cart and only wants to be held until she has no more patience or she is too heavy for me and runs around the store if I give her something to hold to keep her busy she would trip and fall with it...I caaan't...

It's just soo hard and tiring to come home every day when everything is a tantrum and a huge big deal! Tell me is this normal 2 yr old behavior and she will get over it?

pesek zman

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:16 am
Sounds like typical toddler stuff to me

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:17 am
To me this seems like normal terrible two's behavior.
But my DD'S therapist explained to me that every single person is "sensory" in their own way. Everyone has mishegasim, likes & dislikes.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:18 am
I'm an OT. Nothing you describe is unusual for a child her age. It's challenging when you think you've figured out parenting a toddler, and then your next child comes along and is totally different.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:22 am
amother wrote:
I'm an OT. Nothing you describe is unusual for a child her age. It's challenging when you think you've figured out parenting a toddler, and then your next child comes along and is totally different.

Thank you all for responding!
This makes me feel so much better!
I sometimes feel guilty that I should be reaching out for help for her if she really does need the help.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 9:27 am
Sounds like the terrible twos and the examples don't point toward sensory specifically.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 10:53 am
Just a thought if things get worse:
My little one was the toughest toddler... my pediatrician kept on saying “he’s normal”... he got harder and harder until I said: this may be normal but I’m not handling this at all- I ended up getting him OT plus other guidance which helped a lot. I really needed the help with him

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 10:57 am
Same as orchid, sounds normal but a more difficult child. My 3 year old was like this and is doing so well with therapy bH. I really did need another hand if structured play to teach him a thing or 2. He still has his moments. But yesterday, surprisingly, he was the best at the pediatricians office.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 10:57 am
amother wrote:
Thank you all for responding!
This makes me feel so much better!
I sometimes feel guilty that I should be reaching out for help for her if she really does need the help.

There are lots of book on parenting toddlers, so you can definitely help yourself even if she doesn't need specific intervention.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:11 am
Agree with all posters.
I have a very sensory 5 yo.
What your describing is nothing like it.
She was actually an angel of a toddler in that respect. (Next to my second one dor sure!) Always a very good natured kid.
My other kid who's not sensory behaved that way. Only worse because it started when she turned 3. And by then she was smarter already so instead of me out smarting her, she outsmarted me. And she was stronger and quicker than a 2 year old.
I would joke it's good that I'm satmar and I shave otherwhise I'd pull my hair out in clumps.

She's 4 now. And that stage passed.

It does pass.
Setting rules is what saved my sanity.
One of the rules (you mentioned asking for more juice) is that you only get "more" once. Not including water or normal meal foods. Its for juice, deserts special food treats..... She'll throw tantrums. But after a while she'll realize that that's how it is. And it's not worth the tantrum cuz it ain't changing.....

Throwing food down is one of the things that drive me absolutely NUTS. And my kid knew it. And she'd do it to "make a point" ugh.

I'm pregnant now and laugh all you want but that's the stage I'm dreading the most.

My kid wouldn't let me brush her hair either, so I cut it short. (China doll or "ches" style) Brushing was a breeze. And if I didn't brush you wouldn't really notice cuz it was short and straight - it does help that she has straight hair.
Putting on and taking off coats. That was huge. I'd put on her coat last. And with the door open. If we were a few steps away she would take it right off before even reaching the door. At times if have to put it on outside. As long as it didn't turn into a power struggle.
Because once it did, I lost the battle AND the war.
Taking off her coat, well, I wouldn't. I'd say it's time to take off the coat and walk away. Usually an hour later it was off Somewhere near the door.....
As I mentioned, she's 4 now. She letting me brush her teeth (though she still sprays the water from her mouth EVERYWHERE (So funny. hahaha! NOT!).
She puts her shoes away, is learning to not be Lazy and dress herself (she was fully capable of doing that since before she turned 3 but refused).
She puts on her coat and hat and takes it off and hangs it up my herself. She also puts away her dirty laundry and doesn't leave her pajamas on the floor...... modeling proper behaviour, and books and stories about good habits are awesome.

The best advice I ever got and I give is "never underestimate the power of DISTRACTION"
That goes beyond the terrible twos too.
Distraction and redirection is still my best parenting tool!

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:26 am
My thoughts on this - it may be “common” toddler behavior, but that does not mean it’s normal. This doesn’t sound normal to me. Often times things feel worse and more uncomfortable when the body is fighting inflammation - especially in kids. Kids also have a harder time keeping these feelings at bay because their frontal brains are not as developed yet - so they are less able to control their feelings. Go with your gut. If you feel like something is off, it probably is. Maybe it’s inflammation, maybe poor sleep. Both of these can be caused by many different things. It’s impossible for me to guess without more info- one thing though you mentioned she has orange juice - if she’s drinking juice, that’s a lot of sugar that travels quickly and often overwhelms the body. It’s very hard to escape added sugars in many products for kids today so if you’re not watching it, she’s probably getting enough sugar to cause inflammation. But it may not be the only factor.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:33 am
Really, “sensory differences” are just that: individual differences so what my child exhibits will be different than yours and will look different than tzutzies. And like another poster said: we all are sensory beings with sensory differences. When a child is unhappy or your unsure of how to handle it- theres nothing wrong with reaching out for help

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:38 am
I have an adult daughter with extreme sensory issues. However I wasnt aware about “sensory differences” when she was growing up. In retrospect, the thing I regret the most was that I should have respected those differences and let her do what she wanted to make herself feel more comfortable...
So thats my message for you: dont run for therapy, first realize: its ok for her to have a hairstyle that works for her, to wear her coat how she likes it... etc once I started to respect my daughters needs she learned how to be at ease in her skin

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:46 am
amother wrote:
I have an adult daughter with extreme sensory issues. However I wasnt aware about “sensory differences” when she was growing up. In retrospect, the thing I regret the most was that I should have respected those differences and let her do what she wanted to make herself feel more comfortable...
So thats my message for you: dont run for therapy, first realize: its ok for her to have a hairstyle that works for her, to wear her coat how she likes it... etc once I started to respect my daughters needs she learned how to be at ease in her skin

OP here. FOR SURE. I really try to respect her needs but there is a limit.
And sometimes she goes beyond. She gets super frustrated when something doesn't go her way and will bang her head on the floor or on the wall.
Especially if everyone here is saying that it is all normal behavior. I gotta let her cry it out sometimes and not get her way with everything.
I just didn't want to regret not going for help. I was encouraged by my pediatrician not to run for therapy so I rather not put her through therapy if she will outgrow this stage.

I really appreciate everyone's input you guys don't know what you doing for me!

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:53 am
OP, I could've written your post word for word. It's reassuring to know what's normal. I guess I forget between kids. It seems to me the kids get more and more active / stubborn. Or is it that I'm just getting older and older? can't be

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:58 am
OP
My pediatrician still doesnt understand why I’m going for therapy!! Really, it took until the pre school called me that I started taking it very seriously... I regret not starting sooner because by that time my kid was so unhappy! A diffrent child of mine, similar to yours outgrew it and is the sweetest thing now. Just keep your finger on the pulse, ok? Good luck

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:58 am
ShishKabob wrote:
OP, I could've written your post word for word. It's reassuring to know what's normal. I guess I forget between kids. It seems to me the kids get more and more active / stubborn. Or is it that I'm just getting older and older? can't be

OP here. LOL . no one is like my kid!
To answer your question, every child is completely different.
My oldest was absolutely the opposite of this one, its incredible.
bh they do get along - besides for the constant fighting:)

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:00 pm
One more thing:
You mentioned “putting her through therapy”
If you do take her later on, just know, I found it a beautiful experience for my child- not something I was “putting him through” so dont worry about that aspect of it

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:02 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. LOL . no one is like my kid!
To answer your question, every child is completely different.
My oldest was absolutely the opposite of this one, its incredible.
bh they do get along - besides for the constant fighting:)

I guarantee that my kids outdoes yours by 10 times. Smile I'd rather not be in this competiton. But I'm not going to post all of the shenanigans because I don't want to out myself!

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 12:06 pm
My (unpopular opinion) I would take all my kids for OT if I could! I loved the way it made my son be so in tune with his body
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics